Alright, i keep on hearing in instructional videos and online thigns such as 3rd, 5ths of a scale.

Is it to play a scale's first 3 or 5 notes?
It's the third or fifth note in the scale.

So, in an A major, the third would be a C#. The fifth would be an E.
Oh no he just divided by zero again...*gets sucked into vortex*

Originally Posted by Sirwinston89
whoa man this is turning into the Dream Theater appreciation thread!!! If only every thread kicked this much ass!

You're welcome
Kinda! Well what they mean is the position. 1st pos. 2nd pos. 3rd pos. 4th and 5th. 1st is the root 3rd is your tonal center and the 5th well that is your octave. With each change your following tone becomes the root. 1 3 5/ 1 b3 5. Say you are in C- E- G/ C- Eb- G. Play the 3rd and you are in E play the 5th your in G. This is as elementary as it gets. Check up the circle of 5ths and it will show you intervals of the cycle. Good luck!
what the first guy said
Quote by Gigatiran
It's really not that hard... almost all women are sluts.

Quote by Twist of fate
do u rlly think a girl will come to school in the morning and interrupt ur conversation screaming "Hey i nailed my own poonaner last nite and came like a hurricane YEA BABII"
Quote by matx33
It's the third or fifth note in the scale.

So, in an A major, the third would be a C#. The fifth would be an E.

Uh-oh... n00b time from me here...

That sounds slightly wrong to me.

Yes, in an 8 note scale, it's the actual fifth note, but in a five note scale, it's a still a "fifth" but it's the forth note in the scale... as in, in Em pentatonic, B is the fifth, but is only the forth note in E-G-A-B.

Again, I'm probably wrong... theory does this to me. It's a fifth, but it's really a seventh (in mathematical terms, on the chromatic scale), but it can be a forth.
Oh, now I've gone and spilled my tea. This really won't do at all.
Quote by CarpUK
Uh-oh... n00b time from me here...

That sounds slightly wrong to me.

Yes, in an 8 note scale, it's the actual fifth note, but in a five note scale, it's a still a "fifth" but it's the forth note in the scale... as in, in Em pentatonic, B is the fifth, but is only the forth note in E-G-A-B.

Again, I'm probably wrong... theory does this to me. It's a fifth, but it's really a seventh (in mathematical terms, on the chromatic scale), but it can be a forth.

don't think of it in terms of what scale you're playing in. By fifth, it is assumed to mean major fifth. A major fifth would be the fifth note of the major scale rooted on the note you're playing on. SO, If you're root note is C, then your Major 5th would be G. From E, your M5 would be B.

As for thirds, it's the same deal. it's just an interval. a major third from E would be G#, but since you're playing a minor pentatonic, you'll use the minor third interval from E to put you at G natural.

If this is confusing, sorry. I tend to go on and on about stuff.
Logan

-Ignore the "A7X"'s in my name! I made this account before City of Evil existed!
Quote by A7X-LoGaN-A7X
don't think of it in terms of what scale you're playing in. By fifth, it is assumed to mean major fifth. A major fifth would be the fifth note of the major scale rooted on the note you're playing on. SO, If you're root note is C, then your Major 5th would be G. From E, your M5 would be B.

As for thirds, it's the same deal. it's just an interval. a major third from E would be G#, but since you're playing a minor pentatonic, you'll use the minor third interval from E to put you at G natural.

If this is confusing, sorry. I tend to go on and on about stuff.

Thank you for clarifying that for him.
Oh no he just divided by zero again...*gets sucked into vortex*

Originally Posted by Sirwinston89
whoa man this is turning into the Dream Theater appreciation thread!!! If only every thread kicked this much ass!

You're welcome