I'm looking for some ideas from people who have tried and testing various new production 12ax7's or other preamp tubes in amps with 3 preamp tube positions (Marshalls, Traynors, etc.). Right now I have 3 JJ ecc83-s tubes, 1 tung sol reissue and a few sovtek 12ax7wa's. I believe the Tung Sol is a nice tube but a little bright for my amp. The JJ's work pretty well but 1 is crap and the other two are so so... Actually 1 is quite good except it has a bit too much lower midrange and lacking deep bass. I'm looking for a good combination of tubes to give me nice Fenderish cleans along with nice Plexi like to JCM800 overdrive/distortion. Amp is in my sig.
Tubes aren't going to make your amp into a magical fender/plexi hybrid. If you're not happy with the base tone of your amp then tubes aren't really going to fix that.

It sounds like you've tried most of the worthwhile 12AX7s.
It might be a good idea to try something like a tung-sol or an EH in V1 and then a JJ in the clean channel spot and a chinese or EH in the gain channel spot if your amp is set up that way. I can't find a schematic so I don't know if it is.
Quote by Roc8995
Tubes aren't going to make your amp into a magical fender/plexi hybrid. If you're not happy with the base tone of your amp then tubes aren't really going to fix that.

It sounds like you've tried most of the worthwhile 12AX7s.
It might be a good idea to try something like a tung-sol or an EH in V1 and then a JJ in the clean channel spot and a chinese or EH in the gain channel spot if your amp is set up that way. I can't find a schematic so I don't know if it is.

Well it actually is a Fender/Plexi type hybrid. Sounds similar to a plexi which is based on a Fender Bassman. Actually many of the old Traynors were as well. Problem is I can't get the right balance in there... yet. 1 JJ is too thin, another is too thick (midrangey) and the other seems to be just about right but I don't wanna buy 10 of them to find another 2 like it. I'm open to NOS ideas.
Try a NOS 5751 or 12AT7. Maybe the 5751 in V1 and the 12AT7 in the clean channel spot, with a JJ in the gain spot.