On my SG, the nut is very low therefor creating fret buzz. How do I replace it?
Quote by Foo'
BC Rich : I make noise, not music.

Quote by GreekRockr9
I played a Gibson SG once that was horrible. Most of them are awesome, but this one sucked! There were no strings on it, and it looked like the tuners had fallen off.
If you are having a lot of fret buzz you would need to adjust the bow in the neck or the action of the strings I would think. That should fix it. If by some chance it is your nut that is creating it I wouldnt suggest replacing it yourself. It requires precision. I would get a luthier or someone who knows what they are doing.
get a new one from your local music store then gently push/pull the old one out with a small screwdriver, be careful not to damage the fretboard though. Works for me every time.
you can't make it higher? like, adjust it using a screw driver or something?
Epiphone G-400
Yamaha Pacifica (Mod on hold due to procrastination)
Rocktron Banshee
Marshall 10CD

Quote by geetarguy13

I've never smoked before but it looks like fun.
Graciously try to loosen it at the fretboard 1st. Using a metal finger nail file. Once that is achieved with out damaging the fretboard try to wiggle the nut loose slowly. Take your time. Do not rush this. It will come loose.
if the buzzing it on the first few frets, and you have tried adjusting neck angle, and swapping string gauge, then you can replace the nut.

if you still think you need a new nut then repost and ill talk you thru it.
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62
Jenny needs to sow her wild oats with random Gibsons and Taylors she picks up in bars before she settles down with a PRS.

Set up Questions? ...Q & A Thread

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A/GB&C WTLT Lists 2011
Quote by jj1565
if the buzzing it on the first few frets, and you have tried adjusting neck angle, and swapping string gauge, then you can replace the nut.

if you still think you need a new nut then repost and ill talk you thru it.

I've done everything exept replace the nut. How much do they cost exactly?
Quote by Foo'
BC Rich : I make noise, not music.

Quote by GreekRockr9
I played a Gibson SG once that was horrible. Most of them are awesome, but this one sucked! There were no strings on it, and it looked like the tuners had fallen off.
depends on the type you buy. a precut plastic nut is a few dollars.
a graphite or bone nut can be twenty.

putting in a nut is really not hard.

if you measure the one in there, buy it and have it in front of you, then you can score around the old nut, and tap it out with a screwdriver / light hammer.

then you place in the new nut. you draw a pencil line on any edge that might be too big, and tape some fine sand paper to a table.
you run the nut's flat side or bottom along the sandpaper to the line, checking for fit often.

you make sure you put the nut in, with the small cut at high e.

and you add a little white glue under the nut to set it.

if the cuts are too small, a toothpick wrapped with sand paper works. a couple of wipes thru the cut in an upward slant, up to the fretboard. you dont want the cuts to be too low.

to have a shop do it, might be around $20.

and umm, any other questions, just repost.
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62
Jenny needs to sow her wild oats with random Gibsons and Taylors she picks up in bars before she settles down with a PRS.

Set up Questions? ...Q & A Thread

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A/GB&C WTLT Lists 2011