I currently have a Mesa Express 5:50 that I am getting rid of. I have just never been totally happy with the amp. I am trying to decide between two different amps which are honestly different in every sense if the word. I am looking at a Line 6 Spider Valve 112 combo or a Laney Lionheart L5T-112 combo. I am not currently in a band and will most likely not be in one again. I have a family now and am mostly just playing by myself for fun, so I am playing at low volumes. I play many different styles ranging from Vai-Satriani instrumental stuff to blues and jazz. I would like an am that has a really nice lead sound. I do not need over the top distortion, but want to be able to get some good saturation with moderate gain. I am leaning towards the Laney based on the reviews and the sound clips on the website (I have not had the ability to play it, since no stores in my area carry it as a stock item). The dealer however is trying to push me towards the Line 6. He has been telling me what a great amp it is. My big problem with the Line 6 is that I still think it is a little processed sounding. I have a lot of high end boutique guitars and do not want the different tonal qualities of each getting lost in an over processed signal path. I would appreciate any thoughts on these two amps. Thanks.
I beleive you will be more happy than a laney than a line 6. However i cannot comment on the lionheart
What is the gain like on the Laney. Like I said I am not looking for a ton. The other amp I liked and thought the gain was more than enough, was the Peavey Classic 30. Ho is the gain on the L5 comapred to the Classic? Any idea?
Quote by guitarchris76
What is the gain like on the Laney. Like I said I am not looking for a ton. The other amp I liked and thought the gain was more than enough, was the Peavey Classic 30. Ho is the gain on the L5 comapred to the Classic? Any idea?

The L5-T has a very smooth gain tone. It's very creamy and great for leads. It sounds a little boxy until you break it in. Great clean tones and reverb as well.

If you are a Tone > Versatility kind of guy, go for the Laney.
Quote by zgr0826
My culture is worthless and absolutely inferior to the almighty Leaf.

Quote by JustRooster
I incurred the wrath of the Association of White Knights. Specifically the Parent's Basement branch of service.
Tone is without a doubt my top concern. I got the Mesa because of its versatility and it does a lot of things at a satisfactory level. I want one amp that can do a couple things better then most. The lead clips on Laney's website sound incredible but I do not know if that is just a guitar run straight to the amp. If so, I am sold.
Quote by guitarchris76
Tone is without a doubt my top concern. I got the Mesa because of its versatility and it does a lot of things at a satisfactory level. I want one amp that can do a couple things better then most. The lead clips on Laney's website sound incredible but I do not know if that is just a guitar run straight to the amp. If so, I am sold.

It's the guitar straight to the amplifier.

I have played through that amp a million times.

It sounds the best when you have the tone knob at about four. It's very fat and thick at that point.

The amp sounds very similar to a Matchless IMHO.
Quote by zgr0826
My culture is worthless and absolutely inferior to the almighty Leaf.

Quote by JustRooster
I incurred the wrath of the Association of White Knights. Specifically the Parent's Basement branch of service.