hey i need some help on two things.

I plan on getting an HSS MIM strat but in order to make it stay in tune better and sound better I will be replacing the tuners and pickups

i need help understanding Grover locking tuners

and i need help picking out some pretty high end pickups. they gotta be pretty versatile....acoustic (clean) to like iron maiden relatively well.
you dont NEED new tuners, i'd decide whether they would be worth it AFTER i get the guitar. as for pickups, maybe this http://www.seymourduncan.com/products/electric/humbucker/progressive/sh5_duncan_cust/
periphery/bulb!

gear:
Ibanez RG7321 w/ D-sonic in bridge

Peavey 5150 mk ii & b52 4x12 cab

line 6 podxt for recording

Quote by AsOneIStand
Head and Cab for $130? You don't need a head and cabinet, you need a psychological examination.
also, i forgot, I have been playing guitar about 3 years, and im ok. Im not that good but im not bad at all. iron maiden was just an example of the heaviness they need to reach...
ive already played the guitar and used my friends' ive already made up my mind about the tuners i just need info on em...
im going to be replacing the single coils too btw... i need something that plays really good clean as well. it doesnt have to be very good at high distortions
As someone who has been in your exact situation (and come out of it wiser, having learned the hard way), let me recommend you try an American HSS Strat before being so eager to get an MIM and upgrade it. A new MIM Strat is around $400, a new set of pickups (with wiring, etc) is at least $200 for what you're looking for, and the tuners are at least $80. That's (on the low range) about $700 for a guitar that (generally) might be inferior to an American Strat in other ways.

I'm not trying to be coercive, I've just been in your shoes and wish someone had told me the same.
Tobacco Sunburst Fender Strat
(Lollar Dirty Blonde pickups)
Fulltone FatBoost
MI Audio BoostnBuff
Fulltone OCD
This1smyne "Pearl"
Wilson 10Spot II
Red Witch Phaser
Fulltone ChoralFlange
BOSS DD-7+DD-20
Tech21 RVB
'59 Bassman Reissue
yes, but an american strat is 1000...i dont have that kind of money 700 is about my limit

also, im not the biggest fan of the pickups or the colors at all...in order to replace those itd cost even more.
Last edited by guhbreel at Nov 15, 2008,
and i dont need a super high end guitar...just something with humbucker and single coils that can stay in tune
Alright, well if that's the course you're set on, let me recommend to you a set of Lace sensor pickups, especially these:

http://accessories.musiciansfriend.com/product/Lace-Sensor-BlueSilverRed-Prewired-Pickguard?sku=482399

My first guitar instructor had these sensors in his American Strat and they sounded absolutely amazing. There's a ton of tonal variety in the three different pickups, and the neck pickup (red) has the capability for some fun high-gain dynamics.
Fulltone FatBoost
MI Audio BoostnBuff
Fulltone OCD
This1smyne "Pearl"
Wilson 10Spot II
Red Witch Phaser
Fulltone ChoralFlange
BOSS DD-7+DD-20
Tech21 RVB
'59 Bassman Reissue
i need other suggestions too though so that i can have more options and things to look at
ohh...forgot...ones gotta be the size of a humbucker

to fit in a hss...
I'd watch out for double/triple/quadruple posting, most people will report it and get your thread closed.

And if you search google you can find a ton of info on the tuners you're looking at. You might also check out Schaller locking tuners, I have them on my Strat and they work like magic.
Fulltone FatBoost
MI Audio BoostnBuff
Fulltone OCD
This1smyne "Pearl"
Wilson 10Spot II
Red Witch Phaser
Fulltone ChoralFlange
BOSS DD-7+DD-20
Tech21 RVB
'59 Bassman Reissue
yeah i realized that....keep forgetting to press edit instead of repost...and ill look at the tuners...but the pickups have to fit an hss...