Ok, so I recently got a tube amp for free from this rich old guy (mom's friend) 160 watts, and it came with a free cab! Loud as hell with amazing tone... BUT THERE'S NO DISTORTION!! Well, there's some if I turn the "gain" (not very responsive) up, but to anywhere near metal territory.

I'm looking for a pedal that will give me a REAL metal tone. I have a 4 year old Boss DS-1 which was my first pedal, and it sounds AWFUL, even through a good amp. I tried a bunch of friends' pedals, and they all sucked. All they did was make it sound fizzy and fuzzy, with no balls at all.

I need a pedal that can give me that Mesa/Peavey 5150/Bugera level of distortion. Think Rammstein, Children of Bodom, Nightwish, Rob Zombie, etc.

Money isn't really a factor. I was going to buy a Bugera or something, but then all of the sudden I wound up with a powerful tube amp for free, so now I have all this money to spend on a pedal.

Sorry, no good info on the amp itself. It has guitar/microphone/keyboard/poo loads of other settings, definitely not for guitars only. It also has 2 input holes for using 2 [instruments] simultaneously. I don't know the brand name, it was just something the dude had around his house he thought I might want.

(...*sigh*, pedals are why I became an acoustic purist in the first place...)
Last edited by Zecromancer at Nov 15, 2008,
I you want overdrive, get a Tubescreamer.

Fuzz, a Big Muff, Russian or US is your call.

Distortion, a ProCo RAT.

All excellent pedals, and IMO some of the best there is for each of those without going boutique.
THE FORUM UPDATE KILLED THE GRADIENT STAR

Baltimore Orioles: 2014 AL Eastern Division Champions, 2017: 75-87
Baltimore Ravens: 2012 World Champions, 2017: 3-3
2017 NFL Pick 'Em: 52-39
I've heard some amazing sounds come out of a Fulltone OCD overdrive/distortion. It's a boutique pedal with some nasty bite, everyone I've talked to about it loves it.

You might also check out the Marshall Jackhammer if you don't want to spend $160. It's lesser quality of course, but it has great gain for the price.
Tobacco Sunburst Fender Strat
(Lollar Dirty Blonde pickups)
Fulltone FatBoost
MI Audio BoostnBuff
Fulltone OCD
This1smyne "Pearl"
Wilson 10Spot II
Red Witch Phaser
Fulltone ChoralFlange
BOSS DD-7+DD-20
Tech21 RVB
'59 Bassman Reissue
metal muff FTW.

EDIT: also metalzone, lots of people say that it sucks, but just play around with it and you'll find a really cool tone.
Quote by Vagabond21
Ewww the searchbar is a slut, it gets used everyday...

Quote by tremeloud

The brain says "hey, lets be friends" and the dick says "hey, lets get those clothes off, eh?"

Quote by Nilpferdkoenig
Yeaaaaaah, Huuuuuhuuuu, Saaaaaaah and MASTOOOOOOOOOOOOOOR are all Hetfield memes.
Last distortion pedal I had was a Boss Digital Metalizer. Best pedal I ever owned.

I now have a Digitech RP5 which I've had for ages.
try a rocktron metal planet. i had one, i loved it. i had a metalzone and did not like it at all. try the boss pedals ive liked the ones ive had.
CAN I GET A +1?!
Quote by necrosis1193
I you want overdrive, get a Tubescreamer.

Fuzz, a Big Muff, Russian or US is your call.

Distortion, a ProCo RAT.

All excellent pedals, and IMO some of the best there is for each of those without going boutique.

He wants it for metal and to sound like a 5150, the Rat and Big Muff, although great pedals, wouldn't cut it.

Check out the EHX Metal Muff. Cheap, but a good sounding (EQable) metal distortion pedal.

╠═══════╬═══════╣

THE ARCHITECT σƒ τλε τρπ βπστλεπλσσδ

╠═══════╬═══════╣

drone/doom/post-metal: http://theygrieve.bandcamp.com