I know Hendrix did it on his flying v, and I was heavily inspired by srv's guitar, so i want to use nail polish on my strat. However im ofcourse hesitant on doing this, i want to paint my guitar designs and give it some personality but dont wanna go through the trouble of sanding in down and applying all these coats and what not. Anyways: (I use an ash fender strat)

Will using nail polish effect my tone in any way?

Is it permanent?

If not, can i make it permanent?

If i mess up, can i erase it?

What's the step by step process?

please help
thanks guys

(p.s i used the search bar and found nothing, and sorry if im in the wrong forum fellas)
"Never stop doing what you love" - Paul McCartney (Commercial lololol)
Last edited by moptopguitar at Nov 16, 2008,
i would just put a piece of tape and write over it
Gear:
Morpheus Droptune
Ibanez Weeping Demon
Bugera 333xl 212
SCHECTER JEFF LOOMIS C7 FR
use tape!
Gear:
Morpheus Droptune
Ibanez Weeping Demon
Bugera 333xl 212
I dont know about the tone, but i guess its not permanent. Nail polish on nails dont last long, or do they? Whatever.

Yes you can erase them. Just wipe it with acetone. Although, doing that might scrape off including the paint job in your strat. So don't do it.

^follow him
do you have another guitar you don't use to often anymore? because if so try it on that before risking messing up your primary axe
Tape!!
Gear:
Morpheus Droptune
Ibanez Weeping Demon
Bugera 333xl 212
alright cool
nah tape wont do it for an artsy guy like me
ill just practice on my esquire
but i am concerned about the tone
i have a natural finish strat
has anyone have experience with the stuff?
wont the nail polish chip or something?
please let me know
i dont wanna paint it
just give it some design's and a unique look like stevies
"Never stop doing what you love" - Paul McCartney (Commercial lololol)
Last edited by moptopguitar at Nov 15, 2008,
Don't cover the natural finish!
Quote by Mister.Y
Well, The Lion Sleeps Tonight is still a bit popular... I mean, cmon...

awimbawe awimbawe awimbawe awimbawe...

"I'll See You In The Next World, and Don't Be Late"
I doubt a bit of nail polish would effect tone, if full body finishes dont. You could probably scrape it off with your fingernail, if you needed to.
Gear:
Agile Ash RB 828
Schecter C-7 (old 90s style headstock)
Handbuilt 6-string V
Handbuilt Baritone scale 6 string Iceman-copy
Pod HD300
Nail polish is in no way perminant. I know, I paint my nails and the damn stuff cracks and chips off at the slightest vibration, not to mention always fades and needs re-applying after pretty much just a week or so.

Certainly as far as using it as any kind of guitar finish, it's not going to work, unless you sprayed clear varnish (not nail varnish) over the top too, but then that would make the nail varnish pointless anyway.
Yes, I know everything. No, I can't play worth a damn.
A child is trafficked and sold for sex slavery every 30 seconds. Support Love146.
It won't affect tone, it'll probably chip easily but be pretty hard to get off completely.

Just use paint if you want to refinish your guitar.

Also, try the gear customising forum? That's probably a better place to look than here...