I have three pretty much unrelated questions but I figured to make one thread instead of three.

1. I'd like an affordable, compact synth. I'd like to make similar glitchy sounds to those that Nine Inch Nails, Radiohead, Animal Collective, and Beck can achieve. Is the Alesis Micron good for this?

2. What are some good inexpensive condenser mics? I'm still kind of new at recording, so I understand that condensers are best for vocals? My price range is $100 Canadian bucks, maybe $120 max.

3. My current setup for recording acoustic guitar is: guitar > Shure SM57 > Inspire 1394 > Garageband. It sounds pretty bad. How can I get that professional, full sound of an acoustic? I also have Cubase, though I'm not sure if it'd give any better sound quality, plus I haven't learned how to use it completely. Keep in mind I'm not recording in a soundproof room or anything.

Thanks.
for question 3, try an actual acoustic microphone. If it is acoustic electric, buy a 1/4" to 3.5mm cable to hook in to the line in of your computer through an amp. I don't know what an Inspire 1394 is, assuming it is an amp kind of a thing, and a Shure seems like a microphone, I am assuming it is not electroacoustic. It also might be your recording system, but try an actual acoustic mic, if the Shure isn't one. Hope I helped.
Save a trip to the RT!
Quote by blake1221
If there's anything to take away from this thread, anything at all, it's to always cup the balls.

Top trolling abilities.

Quote by caeser1156
God dammit you had me 10/10
My acoustic is a straight acoustic. Though I have an acoustic pickup, but haven't gotten around to trying recording with that. An Inspire 1394 is a recording interface.

I was told that the SM57 was pretty decent for recording acoustic?
Quote by heaven's gate
I have three pretty much unrelated questions but I figured to make one thread instead of three.

1. I'd like an affordable, compact synth. I'd like to make similar glitchy sounds to those that Nine Inch Nails, Radiohead, Animal Collective, and Beck can achieve. Is the Alesis Micron good for this?

2. What are some good inexpensive condenser mics? I'm still kind of new at recording, so I understand that condensers are best for vocals? My price range is $100 Canadian bucks, maybe $120 max.

3. My current setup for recording acoustic guitar is: guitar > Shure SM57 > Inspire 1394 > Garageband. It sounds pretty bad. How can I get that professional, full sound of an acoustic? I also have Cubase, though I'm not sure if it'd give any better sound quality, plus I haven't learned how to use it completely. Keep in mind I'm not recording in a soundproof room or anything.

Thanks.

1 - I have not used the Alesis synth but it sounds fair..probably $100 overpriced though so I would get it used on ebay.
Therse also the world of computer based synths which are triggered with MIDI keyboard controllers such as the M-Audio Axiom or Edirol PCR series. Generally you can get more bang for the buck with software setups when it comes to synths. Even an old $50 Casio keyboard with MIDI output port will work as a controller, the sounds on board dont matter as you wont use them.

2 - If you are still new to recording don't go all out on a high end mic. Try the MXL 990/991 combo. They sound great for acoustic guitar.
The SM57 can be used as an acoustic mic, (and generally sounds great once properly setup) but it needs a lot of gain from the preamp and placement will greatly effect the overall sound.

3 - Time and Patients.
The sound quality doesn't come from the gear, it comes from you as a producer. You wont be making great sound in a few days...it could take years.
Knowing how to use the hardware and software to get the best sound out of it is what you will learn to do over time. If you need great sound now, the best thing to do is go and pay for studio time.

Those questions were quite well related actually...
If you get one of those MXL mics, they'll probably sound better than the 57 on the acoustic guitar too.

Depending on which version of Cubase you have (C4, LE, Studio, whatever), I would just get a midi controller and muck about with some of the soft synths in Cubase. I've gotten some pretty wicked sounds from them.

CT
Could I get some more talent in the monitors, please?

I know it sounds crazy, but try to learn to inhale your voice. www.thebelcantotechnique.com

Chris is the king of relating music things to other objects in real life.
Quote by rasker
where are you placing the mic when recording?

Last time I was messing around I placed the mic a couple centimetres to an inch in front of the speaker, and I was screwin' around with placing it in the centre and the edge.
Quote by moody07747
1 - I have not used the Alesis synth but it sounds fair..probably $100 overpriced though so I would get it used on ebay.
Therse also the world of computer based synths which are triggered with MIDI keyboard controllers such as the M-Audio Axiom or Edirol PCR series. Generally you can get more bang for the buck with software setups when it comes to synths. Even an old $50 Casio keyboard with MIDI output port will work as a controller, the sounds on board dont matter as you wont use them.

Heh yeah, almost right after I made this thread I continued looking on MF and came across the MIDI keyboards. I'll probably end up with one of those since I saw one (might've even been one you posted) for like $100. I have Reason too, so I imagine I could get some killer sounds with a Reason/MIDI keyboard combo.
Quote by moody07747
2 - If you are still new to recording don't go all out on a high end mic. Try the MXL 990/991 combo. They sound great for acoustic guitar.
The SM57 can be used as an acoustic mic, (and generally sounds great once properly setup) but it needs a lot of gain from the preamp and placement will greatly effect the overall sound.

And these are good for vocals too? (Would like to ask despite what MF says). EDIT: Ah I see there're two mics, one for acoustic, one for vox. /noob
Quote by moody07747
3 - Time and Patients.
The sound quality doesn't come from the gear, it comes from you as a producer. You wont be making great sound in a few days...it could take years.
Knowing how to use the hardware and software to get the best sound out of it is what you will learn to do over time. If you need great sound now, the best thing to do is go and pay for studio time.

I don't need great sound now, as I'm just a hobbyist, but when it comes to music/art/anything remotely creative I like to have the end product as close to what I see/hear in my head. Though no I can't say I'm a perfectionist since my wallet doesn't allow me to be one. I was getting a better sound from my acoustic (and piano too) when I used my Boss BR-600 and SM57 than with my current setup. So I'm wondering if its something as simple as "Do I need a different kind of mic?" or "Do I need a preamp in my chain or what?"
Quote by axemanchris
If you get one of those MXL mics, they'll probably sound better than the 57 on the acoustic guitar too.

Depending on which version of Cubase you have (C4, LE, Studio, whatever), I would just get a midi controller and muck about with some of the soft synths in Cubase. I've gotten some pretty wicked sounds from them.

CT

I think I have LE, it came with the Inspire 1394. I'll check out the MXL and MIDI keyboards/controllers next time I'm in a store.

Thanks to all so far.
Last edited by heaven's gate at Nov 16, 2008,
Use both the MXL 990 and 991 at the same time when doing acoustic guitar. The blend well and can get some great tones out.

The interfaces should sound much better than the Boss MR600. You are probably getting different results due to different mic positions. Moving a mic just half an inch can change the sound quite a bit. It takes a lot of time to get that sweet spot sometimes.