I have found myself becoming more and more interested in politics since the election, and I really think that I would enjoy a career dealing with politics. Does anyone here have a degree in political science? If so, what are you doing for work right now?
I'm currently double-majoring in Political Science and International Relations. Possible jobs are working for the U.S. State Department, becoming an ambassador, working for an IGO like the World Bank or International Monetary Fund, or even working for nonprofits like Green Peace etc. Oh yea and you could work for the U.N.

But most of these jobs require more than one language. So study up.
Well I started college with plans to major in Political Science and Economics and go to law school.

However, poli sci got really boring really fast. Economics is cool, but I ended up switching over to something I like more: computer science.

It was the only task I would undertake...

I P R O G
...to reap the harvest that was mine

- [ P R O G - H E A D ? ] -
Quote by rockon004
I'm currently double-majoring in Political Science and International Relations. Possible jobs are working for the U.S. State Department, becoming an ambassador, working for an IGO like the World Bank or International Monetary Fund, or even working for nonprofits like Green Peace etc. Oh yea and you could work for the U.N.

But most of these jobs require more than one language. So study up.

That is awesome. What year are you?

Yeah, the school I'm looking at requires at least one language class for Liberal Arts degrees. Shouldn't be terribly hard, but I suppose that it wouldn't hurt to get a head start.

I'm a political science major...but I'm only a Freshman.

What Gen Eds are you having to take for it?

I have a degree in touching boobs.

You also have a degree in being a dolt.
One of my housemates is doing politics. I was considering doing it. Apparently one of the jobs available is working as a diplomat. It's a good job but competition is massively high, so make sure you're talented.
Also, learn french.
"Why should we subsidise intellectual curiosity?"
-Ronald Reagan

"Knowledge is in every country the surest basis of public happiness."
-George Washington
I know a few people who have a degree in political science. A couple of them went on to teach history, and the other is an architect now.

~Frussie

Michael Jackson - Forever loved
Quote by Ur all $h1t
One of my housemates is doing politics. I was considering doing it. Apparently one of the jobs available is working as a diplomat. It's a good job but competition is massively high, so make sure you're talented.
Also, learn french.

Why do you think I need to learn French? I'm probably going to learn that after I (hopefully) learn Spanish, but I am just curious to your reasoning.
My friend is getting his and he's almost done. He has also spent time getting involved in student led organizations for the benefit of the university and writing for the school paper (this is a great thing to do with this major). Seriously, if you want to you should go for it AND supplement it with extra activities that are relevant to it to widen your range of opportunities for when you graduate.
Miss Scourge? PM me.

I am the mistress of ManWithoutAHat . This pleases me.
If you do intend to learn several languages, I suggest starting with Latin. I took Latin first and it made learning Spanish, French, and Italian a lot easier than it was for people I know who didn't take Latin. I know it's a "dead" language, but it is fun to learn and really helps with learning the romance languages.

I P R O G

As far as Gen-Eds go if your at an American university you are going to have to take the same gen-eds no matter what you study. Thats why they're call general education.

P.S. If majoring in political science you have to choose if you want a BA or a BS. I you go BA like me, you need a language. I don't think one is required for BS though.

Biggest perk: No math.
Quote by czlespaul
I'm a political science major...but I'm only a Freshman.

Same, but I'm changing majors. PoliSci isn't at all what I thought it was going to be.
Catch me,
heal me,
Lift me back up to the Sun
I choose to live
Quote by Spamwise
Why do you think I need to learn French? I'm probably going to learn that after I (hopefully) learn Spanish, but I am just curious to your reasoning.

French is highly valuable in politics, and essential for a diplomat. It is considered the international language of diplomacy, just as English is considered the language if business.
"Why should we subsidise intellectual curiosity?"
-Ronald Reagan

"Knowledge is in every country the surest basis of public happiness."
-George Washington
Quote by Firenze
Same, but I'm changing majors. PoliSci isn't at all what I thought it was going to be.

I know how you feel.

I P R O G

Quote by Spamwise

French is a very common language in international relations. Just an example: the Olympics use English, French, and the host countries languages for everything.
OH, and the friend I mentioned was able to be involved directly with Hillary Clinton and her visit to IU. He even got to introduce her before her speech (regardless of how everyone feels about her this is a great experience and perfect for a resume).
Miss Scourge? PM me.

I am the mistress of ManWithoutAHat . This pleases me.
Quote by rockon004
As far as Gen-Eds go if your at an American university you are going to have to take the same gen-eds no matter what you study. Thats why they're call general education.

P.S. If majoring in political science you have to choose if you want a BA or a BS. I you go BA like me, you need a language. I don't think one is required for BS though.

Biggest perk: No math.

Oh yeah, duh, I guess I should have thought about that.

Meh, I've been taking Math courses at a local community college. Hopefully I'll have that out of the way before I start.

French is highly valuable in politics, and essential for a diplomat. It is considered the international language of diplomacy, just as English is considered the language if business.

Really? I wasn't aware of that. I'll have to start working on that, then.
I started in a major of Economics and Political science because I like Politics, and was severely disappointed. Political Science is much more theoretical than actual politics.
I <3 bangoodcharlotte

Quote by humperdunk
one time i let my cat has cheezburger. i thought it was pretty funny.
Quote by Mongoose87
I started in a major of Economics and Political science because I like Politics, and was severely disappointed. Political Science is much more theoretical than actual politics.

I disagree... for example I spend class periods discussing the role of the U.N. and how different countries maneuver for power within it. I found political science to be really interesting. But I am biased
Quote by rockon004
I disagree... for example I spend class periods discussing the role of the U.N. and how different countries maneuver for power within it. I found political science to be really interesting. But I am biased

That is pretty cool.

So I forgot to ask, I have a decent knowledge of politics and government, but not really beyond average. Are students expected to already be well-educated on the manner? If so, should I think about a different major?
Well really, most classes you will take talk about theories and ideas most people won't know coming in anyway, so you won't be alone.

The best thing you can do is read a paper everyday. Especially the international section. Also, know your geography, brush up on countries and their locations.

If you have more free time read some books on current events. Local bookstores usually have a whole section of them.