heres the riff

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
-----10-----9--10-----10------9---9---------10----12---10----10-----10----9-----9-------
-7-7----7-7--7---8-8-----8-8---8---12-12-----12---12----12----10----10---10----10--
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

its played eighth notes at 240 bpm. please try it at that speed before you say its easy, i know the riff is easy its the speed at which it needs to be played that is hard.

Now, for those of you that CAN play this, what is your picking method of choice for it?

I have been trying to get this forever and I just cannot get it up to speed with any amount of practice. Ive been playing for about 3 years and im to the point where i can pretty much play any song i try to, except this stupid riff that gives me so much trouble. And the bitch about it is that ive wanted to play this since day 1 and i still cant. IRONIC huh? Im beginning to think that it might be impossible for me to get that up to speed

any bit of advice you can give beyond "just practice it" would be appreciated.
Last edited by DirtyMcCurty at Nov 15, 2008,
Haven't tried it yet just ran it across GP 5. Doesn't seem too fast but the finger changes would seem to be hard. I'd say it would require some up and down picking.
Damn that is hard at that speed. Out of curiosity where did you get this riff?
Quote by metalcore123
I hate trying to cover up my cheese in school because the bimbo next to me dislikes the smell of pure love.

I'm bringing farts back!
finger changes are cake, i could probably do them with the guitar backwards. this is insanely fast, are you sure you didnt input quarter notes instead of eighths? that would make it half speed.

for the second poster, its from rufio - above me. They were a punk band (broken up) but they dont play average easy punk. Lots of their riffs are lightning.
Quote by DirtyMcCurty
finger changes are cake, i could probably do them with the guitar backwards. this is insanely fast, are you sure you didnt input quarter notes instead of eighths? that would make it half speed.

for the second poster, its from rufio - above me. They were a punk band (broken up) but they dont play average easy punk. Lots of their riffs are lightning.

Yeah these guys are insane.
Quote by metalcore123
I hate trying to cover up my cheese in school because the bimbo next to me dislikes the smell of pure love.

I'm bringing farts back!
hah me and my buddy to this day are still tryin to get that riff down as fast as they do it.

i actually recognized the tab lol. that guys is an amazing guitarist though
My Gear...
Fender Deluxe Fat Strat
Fernandes Retrorocket
Epiphone G400
Blackstar HT-5c
Blackstar HT Club 40
ok, well at least im not the only person that thinks its impossible.

anyone successful with it? FOR THE LOVE OF GOD TEACH ME HOW
sounds seriously hard... I havn't heard it or played it but 240 bpm is crazy with eighth notes... music shouldn't be that fast (Dragonforce is a prime example)
AROUND THE WORLD

Click here if you like the Washington Wizards
I pretty much did it. I used down picking for most of the parts except i alternate picked it the last 2 bars(besides down picking the 2 a's at the start of the 3rd bar). The only thing i found tricky was the transition from the b to the a, its a fairly quick change but its easier to play if you hit the b on the 14th fret a string Hope that helps a little bit.

Edit: Quavers(8th notes) at 240bpm are just semiquavers(16ths) at 120bpm, I don't know why everyone is going on about the speed.
Last edited by KSM_Dante at Nov 16, 2008,
i say shenanigans, theres no way in hell that can be downpicked.

if you are some downpick god, then post a video or something
guys honestly its not really fast, as KSM said, its just like playing 16th notes at 120 bpm. that is not fast by any means. if it was 16th notes at 240, then its extremely fast, but its just quarter notes so its not fast. the only tricky parts with this riff is the finger changes. really the only advice is to practice it slowly so that the changes become natural.
Jackson RR Professional, early 90's japanese model, with EMG's

Digitech GNX3000

Crate GX 212
that just doesnt make any sense whatsoever to me. these finger changes are elementary. my right hand however starts going so fast it locks up or loses all control. i think we all know that it is 16th notes at 120. the problem lies with the pattern of the picking of the notes, thats what kills in the end.

i agree 16th at 120 is no problem doing something chromatic or simple like that, its just that damn pattern, did you actually try playing it?
Your problem might lie in the transfer between down picking and alternate picking. This is the picking pattern i used:

G:---10-----9--10-----10------9---9---------10----12---10----10-----10----9-----9-------
D:7-7----7-7--7---8-8-----8-8---8---12-12-----12---12----12----10----10---10----10--
--d d d d dd d d d d d d d d d d d d u d u d u d u d u d u d u d
ive been using econo picking for it and ive gotten up to about 100 at 16th notes. going like this u d d u d d u d. do you really downpick all that at those speeds? how did you get your downpicks that fast? like what excersizes did you do.

do you think striaght downpicking is easier than alternate or econo picking?
I found straight down picking easier for this part. I haven't actually tried it using economy picking, but i might give that a shot later. I think most of my down picking speed has come from the very cliché master of puppets intro, or from 22 acacia avenue by iron maiden, which is triplet 16ths at around 100bpm.

In all honesty i don't think i'm a fast down picker compared to a lot of guitarists i know, but it might have been something that came naturally to me. I have shit all downpicking endurance though, i can only keep up those speeds for about 15 minutes. It might just be a thing you'll have to practice for a while at comfortable speeds until you get it. Hope you'll get it soon :P
did you actually play it along with the song? cuz thats miserably fast for down picking
My Gear...
Fender Deluxe Fat Strat
Fernandes Retrorocket
Epiphone G400
Blackstar HT-5c
Blackstar HT Club 40
yea i have a hard time believing that hes downpicking too. i learned master of puppets in like five minutes, and its nothing compared to trying to downpick the rufio riff.

someguy, how are you picking, and how fast can you get it?
That's pretty much the exact same speed as Ember to Inferno by Trivium, I have no idea why everyone is freaking out about how OMGZ fast it is. Anyone who's freaking out about the picking should check out just about anything by Necrophagist, Stabwound is the exact same speed but much harder to pick.
R.I.P. My Signature. Lost to us in the great Signature Massacre of 2014.

Quote by Master Foo
“A man who mistakes secrets for knowledge is like a man who, seeking light, hugs a candle so closely that he smothers it and burns his hand.”

Album.
Legion.
Try changing the tab around, maybe they tabbed it out wrong and the actual guitarist was fretting some other thing?
Join cashcrate to make easy money. It may be tedious, but it does indeed work! Easily make $100 in about a week filling out random surveys.
Just work on it at a speed that you can play perfectly for a while ("a while" meaning days). You'll get it eventually.