Hey guys, I'm trying to learn songs likeFade to Black and One, but the problem is that I need to switch between a distorted and a clean sound. I am using a line 6 spider 3 15w amp.

I am told that a distortion pedal will allow me to do this. Can you guys recommend me a decent pedal that isnt too expensive?
I've never had a distortion pedal before so i dont have any experience with one. if im correct, in order for me to switch between distortion and clean, do i set my amp to the clean setting then turn on the pedal whenever i want distortion? also, do i need to buy any cables to connect the pedal to my guitar/amp?
Quote by dNWaKE
I've never had a distortion pedal before so i dont have any experience with one. if im correct, in order for me to switch between distortion and clean, do i set my amp to the clean setting then turn on the pedal whenever i want distortion? also, do i need to buy any cables to connect the pedal to my guitar/amp?

Yes, you need two cables.

One from guitar to pedal, and one from pedal to amp. And it's basically what it says, you step on it once to activate, and again to deactivate
BACK LIKE A HEART ATTACK
I may be wrong here, but could he not just get a footswitch?
Quote by ChemicalFire
The point of underground bands is their not popular or famous most of the time. Thus there is a good chance they suck.
Quote by eazy-c
I may be wrong here, but could he not just get a footswitch?

That's what I was thinking. I mean if you use an effects pedal with your clean channel, then you'll have the pedal in bypass mode and in distortion mode.

With the footswitch, you plug it in to the footswitch input on your amp or something like that, and you switching between clean and lead channel on the amp.
my MG15DFX has a button that simulates the sound of one of the expensive tube marshall amps

Fender Stratocaster HSS
LTD EC-400AT
Traynor YCV-50 Blue
Peavey Envoy 110

Wishlist: Hamer USA Explorer, Gibson Explorer
Yeah, shoulden't the amp support footswitchable channels/gain? It'd be cheaper to buy a single instance pedal and use it to switch from clean to gain rather then not using your amp's built in gain for a lesser tone from a pedal (well, depending on the pedal)

-Edit-
I'm a big fan of the DigiTech DF-7. It emulates 7 different pedals or 7 different amp cabs, depending on which output you use, and it's pretty accurate. It even makes little practice amps sound good
-Guitar Gear-
1995 American Fender Strat, EMG 85 pup
Randall RH200 Head
Marshall 1960a Cab
Woods Acoustic
-Bass Gear-
Spector Legend 4 bass
Washburn Bantam bass
Hartke HA2500
Fender Bassman 410H
Play what you love, love what you play
Last edited by Garou1911 at Nov 20, 2008,
Quote by slayer666z
The Boss: Mt-2 Metal Zone. Great petal for only about $120.

I can see a whole bunch of people coming in here and flaming you for that

Personally, I think the ML2 Metal Core totally pwns the Metal Zone.

...and this is about the time when everyone, especially the bandwagoners, rush in and tell you that those two suck and to get a Metal Muff or something. (although the Metal Muff is a very good pedal too)
Quote by slickerthnsleek
I can see a whole bunch of people coming in here and flaming you for that

Personally, I think the ML2 Metal Core totally pwns the Metal Zone.

...and this is about the time when everyone, especially the bandwagoners, rush in and tell you that those two suck and to get a Metal Muff or something. (although the Metal Muff is a very good pedal too)

Hahaha, well I've played both the ML2 and the Metal Zone and personally I liked the Core much better.

I'm not sure if a distortion pedal is what you really need though. Like they said, you might be able to get a foot switch to change the amps channel between clean/distorted.
I was going to suggest a footswitch until that guy above said that they don't work on the 15w.

Besides, who actually wants to encourage the use of the built-in distortion on a Spider III? :p

My recommendation is the Metal Core.
get a ds-1 or an sd-1 as they are both about $40 or £40 and then spend about ten more £/$ and mod it. youll have a boutique sounding pedal for 50 bucks that even steve vai would be proud to use...

dunc
Thank you please.
Quote by deadlydunc
get a ds-1 or an sd-1 as they are both about $40 or £40 and then spend about ten more £/$ and mod it. youll have a boutique sounding pedal for 50 bucks that even steve vai would be proud to use...

dunc

How do you mod it?
I absolutely love the Metalcore too. I tried it, and it blew the others away, as far as sound. But if you're not in the market for a $100^ pedal, I'd look into something cheaper, maybe like a digitech grunge pedal or a metalmaster?
Maximum volume yields maximum goats.
Isn't the BM an overdrive pedal?
Maximum volume yields maximum goats.
hey guys, i just got the boss ds-1 but when i set my amp to clean and turn on the distortion pedal, it doesnt sound distorted at all. it just sounds kind of crunchy. what should i do? does my amp (spider line 6 15w) support it?

EDIT: i got it to change between clean now and distorted by setting my amp to metal and plugging it in. when i turn it off, it sounds clean but the volume is pretty quiet but when i turn on the pedal, its loud compared to the "clean" sound when its off. how do i fix this?
Last edited by dNWaKE at Nov 26, 2008,
Boss MD-2 Mega Distortion, great for heavier stuff, like Metallica
Rig
Fender 09 Standard Strat>Wilson Ten Spot II Wah>Boss DS-2 Turbo Distortion>EHX Big Muff Pi>Boss CE-2 Chorus>Crate V32 Palomino 212
Fender Deluxe Active Jazz Bass>(Same Pedals)>AcousticB20

Quote by WtrPlyr
I'm with DeltaFunk
Quote by dNWaKE
hey guys, i just got the boss ds-1 but when i set my amp to clean and turn on the distortion pedal, it doesnt sound distorted at all. it just sounds kind of crunchy. what should i do? does my amp (spider line 6 15w) support it?

What kind of guitar do you have?
i got it to change between clean now and distorted by setting my amp to metal and plugging it in. when i turn it off, it sounds clean but the volume is pretty quiet but when i turn on the pedal, its loud compared to the "clean" sound when its off. how do i fix this?

and my guitar is an esp ltd m50
Quote by dNWaKE
i got it to change between clean now and distorted by setting my amp to metal and plugging it in. when i turn it off, it sounds clean but the volume is pretty quiet but when i turn on the pedal, its loud compared to the "clean" sound when its off. how do i fix this?

and my guitar is an esp ltd m50

Oh, then what I thought was wrong was off.

There should be a volume knob on the pedal/
on the boss ds-1 pedal, thee are only tone , level, and distortion knobs
i just have the mt-2 myself and i shouldve looked at the metal core
and i got it for $99
Quote by lolmnt
We're better than Mexico cuz we rule USA USA USA
sorry, i made a mistake. i turned my guitar volu,me down by accident so when i turned off the pedal, it sounded clean but really it wasnt. im back to my original problem. when i set the channel to clean and turnon the pedal, it sounds crunchy and not heavy at all. I want to be able to switch between clean and distorted to play songs like Fade to black. i own a line 6 spider 3 15w and a boss ds-1 pedal. what do i have to do?

is the line 6 spider 3 15 w capable of using the boss ds-1 to change between clean and distortion sounds?
Last edited by dNWaKE at Nov 27, 2008,
Quote by dNWaKE
sorry, i made a mistake. i turned my guitar volu,me down by accident so when i turned off the pedal, it sounded clean but really it wasnt. im back to my original problem. when i set the channel to clean and turnon the pedal, it sounds crunchy and not heavy at all. I want to be able to switch between clean and distorted to play songs like Fade to black. i own a line 6 spider 3 15w and a boss ds-1 pedal. what do i have to do?

is the line 6 spider 3 15 w capable of using the boss ds-1 to change between clean and distortion sounds?

it probably is capable but the spider 3 is really a 'beginner' type of amp, if you buy a new amp you should get a better sound
I see you're not using the UG black theme

Originally posted by GOD
akm_202, i now announce you, king of awesome. You may bow down to me.
Quote by dNWaKE

In order to be able to do that, you'll need a pedal that's designed to add distortion to a clean tone, rather then a pedal designed to boost your gain channel. If possible, take the pedal back and ask the shop personnel if they can reccomend somthing.

I still highly suggest the DigiTech DF-7. Works great and you get 7 pedals in one
Runs around $80 though.

-Edit-
I almost missed it, but you may have already solved your problem. I do that on my amp all the time, I'll be on my heavy distorted channel and I just turn my volume knob on my guitar down when I want a clean tone. No pedal, no channel switching, and I can adjust tone on the fly. Also, don't just spin your guitar's volume knob to 10 and start blasting, there are a lot of great tones between 4 - 9 depending on your rig.
-Guitar Gear-
1995 American Fender Strat, EMG 85 pup
Randall RH200 Head
Marshall 1960a Cab
Woods Acoustic
-Bass Gear-
Spector Legend 4 bass
Washburn Bantam bass
Hartke HA2500
Fender Bassman 410H
Play what you love, love what you play
Last edited by Garou1911 at Nov 27, 2008,
For you to get heavy sound, turn the volume nob on the guitar all the way up, and on the pedal, adjust the volume from there. On mine, the lower the volume is on the guitar nob,the less distortion. IDK why but try it.