I've been making songs for a while without any solos.
So I made this new song and I want to try to make a good solo.
Problem is that I don't know how to make one.
So I need some tips.
Please help.
Learn the pentatonic scale
learn major scales

MOST IMPORTANT
you have to feel the music.

no lie..
Quote by fleetingillness
one thing that always works IMO is playing a variation of the song's melody, and then adding on to it with some cool guitar licks, and then building into a different lead part.

Nice, good answer thanks. :]
First off, improve your phrasing.

Try to phrase yourself like a singer. Think of it as if you're singing with your guitar. Listen to some singing melodies and try to copy it on your guitar.

Next learn 2 or 3 shapes from a pentatonic scale. Try to become good at moving between each shape and try to be able to play 4 or 5 notes on the same string. This will help your phrasing majorly.

When you get good, play over some backing tracks. You should be able to hear the chord progression and hear which notes are stressed (first beat of every bar). On these stressed notes, try to play chord tones of the chord playing.

Also, learn your theory.

You shouldnt be afraid to use other guys licks (like when uncreativity hits), but you shouldn't ever overuse licks. It's unoriginal, cheap and improvisation sounds so much better.
Quote by demonofthenight
First off, improve your phrasing.

Try to phrase yourself like a singer. Think of it as if you're singing with your guitar. Listen to some singing melodies and try to copy it on your guitar.

Next learn 2 or 3 shapes from a pentatonic scale. Try to become good at moving between each shape and try to be able to play 4 or 5 notes on the same string. This will help your phrasing majorly.

When you get good, play over some backing tracks. You should be able to hear the chord progression and hear which notes are stressed (first beat of every bar). On these stressed notes, try to play chord tones of the chord playing.

Also, learn your theory.

You shouldnt be afraid to use other guys licks (like when uncreativity hits), but you shouldn't ever overuse licks. It's unoriginal, cheap and improvisation sounds so much better.

This really helped. :]
Thanks a lot
LEARN THE PENTATONIC SCALE!!!!! also, listen to a melody on piano or make one to go with your song and copy it to guitar adding bends, squeals and pulloffs!!!! works fer me
Don'tStealMusic has a good tip. Know your song inside and out theory-wise so you have some guidelines, then mix it up with the vocal melody and let the expression flow.
i've got a similar problem, i can improvise a solo for just about anything, but i can't remember them for my songs, any way to fix this?
My Gear:

Ibanez GRG170DX
Crate GFX-1200H
Line 6 4x12 Cab with Celestion 60's
Ibanez Weeping Demon wah
Electro-Harmonix Metal Muff With Top Boost
BOSS Metal Zone
Quote by cup_on_shelf
i've got a similar problem, i can improvise a solo for just about anything, but i can't remember them for my songs, any way to fix this?
You don't need too. Most guys improvise their solo's live and will only bring back the licks/ideas from a solo that sounded like they fitted well with the song.
improvising on the blues scale is very easy.

but it sounds bluesey. i think the way to get out of that is to play it in the relative minor, but i cant remember what that is.
Stand up and cheer if you like SimCity

Play Up Pompey, Pompey Play Up
THE WiLDHEARTS

Quote by goest
I'm going to take this opportunity to initiate my campaign to replace the phrase "Taking a shit" with "Busting a grumpy."
Pick up your guitar, use a metronome, and play whatever will come to your head. Write down what you really liked, and keep repeating and putting it all together until you have yourself an awesome solo.

Or you can go part by part and think of something in your head, then play it, but improvising is usually the best way.
Quote by user_nameless
You can go ahead and sponge my bob.

/notfunnyatalljoke.

Quote by halo43
When you date a vegetarian, you're the only meat they'll ever eat.
What I like to do is pick up my guitar and just start randomly sliding or doing random crap and letting it evolve into a crazy swirl of randomness. And then after 45 minutes of fun or so all of a sudden I get that "pop": "This sounds great!" and you can adapt it to fit over/with the main song, change certain notes to change the mood of the solo (happy, content, or angry, raging, or crazy, insane?).
Gear:
Schecter Hellraiser Deluxe
Boss DS-1
Crate GTD65

GAS List:
Mesa Boogie Dual Rectifier Roadster
The way i do it is just play something, and whatever i though sounded good, i write down in my tab book. then i put it into a guitar pro 5 song
i think you should sing the bit of your song before the solo and then sing something like a solo and you usually get the first melody or bend.

thats how slash got sweet child of mine
I just poured my emotions into the guitar and it worked really good. What I do is in my head think of a solo that would be really cool, then record it. Of course you get the stupid, cheezy sound effects from your mouth, but you need to then tab it out or whatever so you can play it. I didn't learn any scales because I find this more entertaining and you can do fun stuff with it.