Page 1 of 4
hi iv been a guitarist for 16 years..im into any type of guitar playing. i wont list as i'd be here all day !

im into a heavy riffs melodic, blues, pop rock anything really...but i'd like to knwo why there is so many metal players out there?

is it becouse there is so much scope in the style or is it that the mighty overdrives and distortions cover up shady playing ?

dont get me wrong i love distortions to and many other f.x
but i cant get my head round why there is so many lovers of this music?

guitar playing is one thing? but within a band community the rest is pretty aggressive, i.E vocals and drums.. is it the built up tension of male ego or is it a cover up for sloppy playing.. yes i know there is some mighty fine metal players out there!

but look at the likes of Hendrix n Jimmy Page n even Clapton.. they aint agressive n nasty ?
again dont get me wrong i like a good pout now n then with a good riff here n there.

i just dont get how there is so many . even on ug there is a overload of metalers.
i dont dislike it..but intrueged to know why so so many .
sorry if i sound anti metal..im not each to there own i say...bt ya know..fecking loads of em..lol
id like to hear your views on this...p's dont give me abuse for not hailing the mighty metal..i just wanna know is all ...not a better place to ask than in here.
thanks Ringo
p's i have a few uploads of my own songs...nothing special..but i like it !
Last edited by ringocp2006 at Nov 16, 2008,
It's just whats popular right now, a few years ago it was pop punk before that nu metal and before that grunge.
Becuase it's generally the most challenging style of music to play physically and mentally
ohai little sig.
a lot of guitarists like metal because (not only for this reason, but it contributes) most metal requires a large amount of skill to play well, so by playing the music that they love they can advance their skills as well, as opposed to if someone liked hip-hop, but wanted to play guitar, they would have a hard job becoming an excellent guitarist by purely playing and learning hip-hop songs.
Hovercraft Falcon 100 "La Dama del Solaris"
ESP LTD Phoenix-1000
Epiphone Les Paul Custom Silverburst
Those who want to play simple music, most guitarists and most who play music, aren't going to join or be heavily active on this website. Your sample of musicians has incredible bias due to that lurking variable (*oh no, she did not just AP Stat his ass!).

Also, where are you finding all of these metal players besides cyberspace? There's a HUGE amateur/semi-professional blues underground in Philadelphia and its suburbs; I've been a part of it. Granted, most of the musicians are 40+ years old, but there are still a lot of outright blues and classic rock performances.

*I originally wrote, "On, ho," which I at least find amusing.

Edit:
Quote by MrWeenie
a lot of guitarists like metal because (not only for this reason, but it contributes) most metal requires a large amount of skill to play well, so by playing the music that they love they can advance their skills as well
Great skill (on something) is required for every genre; this argument sounds solid, but it ultimately fails.
There are so many because it's the music we like. It's got nothing to do with built up testosterone like everyone always say who isn't all that deep into the music.
Why do people like Pink Floyd? It's the feeling of the music, the way it makes them feel. It's the same with metal.
Using distortion and effects to cover up crap playing is a pretty low thing to say, man. They're are a few bands out there who aren't the guitar gods they want to be but to say they play metal so they can use a crap load of effects to cover up is just ****ed.

This is all coming from someone who would rather listen to fast riffs, pissed off lyrics full of hate, driving drum and bass lines and an atmosphere of hate. I'm not all that hate filled, the music just makes me feel good, I can also feel just as good listening to powerpop, metal is a separate beast from the rest though.
I think that you really confuse the ratio of metal guitarists on UG and metal guitarists in the world. I mean if you look around a bit UG is basically a metal site so it would make sense that there are a lot of metal guitarists here.
in addition to metal being the "cool" thing to play these days, it could also be the association of guitar to the type of people that listen to it. theres a certain involvement such as intensity of playing the genre or going out to a local show that is more appealing to a greater body of people than other genres such as post-rock
if you love bbe products join the "i heart bbe" group. kthnx (click link below)
http://groups.ultimate-guitar.com/ilovebbe/

Quote by Dempsey68
get a cheap marshall... my MG15DFX has a button that simulates the sound of one of the expensive tube marshall amps.
I'm gonna guess because it's the most impressive, and difficult style of rock music currently out there.
Guitarists like to play hard shit, because it's either fun to play, or it's great to show off with.
And metal is severely shredding and such oriented, it's a guitar-genre.
Quote by bangoodcharlote

Great skill (on something) is required for every genre; this argument sounds solid, but it ultimately fails.

it sounded better in my head, i think im too tired so im not using my words as well as i could.
Hovercraft Falcon 100 "La Dama del Solaris"
ESP LTD Phoenix-1000
Epiphone Les Paul Custom Silverburst
people get into metal first n pick up guitars later(i m not talking about everyone but a majority) being inspired by this awesome genre...so there is hardly any question of playing metal just to cover up sloppy playing...
metal is a guitar based genre. ultimate-guitar is a guitar based site.

they make harmony. which is why there's so many metal heads on UG. But that's just UG. you step outside and you see a mix of blues, jazz, alternative and metal.
bro0otal

Drummer

Guitarist___________Bassist________________Vox______________________Lead Guitarist
well, the reason I like it so much is the sheer force in it, metal is so hard define to me because there are so many aspects, it's a hugely diverse genre and I like most of it, Metal just appeals to me more than any other type of music. But, I also like most forms of rock, blues, and nearly anything else (I hate pop music and country, and scorn most metal played on the radio, but I can at least appreciate what the artist has done musically. I like, or can at least appreciate, all forms of music.

I just like metal the best

edit: oh, and only noobs crank up the distortion to cover mistakes.
Quote by Demonikk
Becuase it's generally the most challenging style of music to play physically and mentally

....metal is so popular because of misconceptions like that one ^
Banging on a trash can
Drumming on a street light
WOW.. this is some response...most of the comments apply that metal has the best skill and best guitar players... this i could debate on all day...anyone who plays guitar knows who the gods of the guitar are and most of them aint metal...i dont want to sound condicending in anyway to metal..as i have spent a bit of time working out albums of matalica n G n R for obvious reasons, hammit n slash.

one thing i will point out is that guitar playng is not always down to how big you can shred or how big a noise you can make... im well aware of the skills needed to be a metal player. i just wanted to know why this site had so many metal fans and articles when there is so so so much out there and should be in here for us all to take on board

thanks to every one for al there views... staggerd at the responce .!
thank you all
peace.. Ringo
Quote by Demonikk

A classical pianist might disagree.

People like metal for the same reason that they like anything else: certain aspects of it or conventions within it appeal to their preferences.
Someones knowledge of guitar companies spelling determines what amps you can own. Really smart people can own things like Framus because they sound like they might be spelled with a "y" but they aren't.
That people use a "metal" kind of distortion, to cover up, can be true.

It's highly unlikely that people start playing metal because of that.

From my point of view? I think it does have to do with the technical aspect of the part in combination with the hearing. You see how many technical advanced metal bands there are out there now. I think people like it, because it has both. It's interesting for the guitarplayer and interesting for a non guitar player. In metal, the most upfront instrument is naturally the guitar. So that could also be the reason.

The "Re-incarnation of Plato" Award 2009
(most intelligent)
The "Good Samaritan" Award 2009 (most helpful)

[font="Palatino Linotype
Who's Andy Timmons??
Quote by Archeo Avis
A classical pianist might disagree.

So might a jazz sax player, but neither of those instruments are guitars.

Either way, I'd say that metal is easy the most technical genre of music based on rock.
Quote by marmoseti
Mastering your instrument is being able to play whatever you hear in your head, unhindered by inadequate technique. After that, it's all about what you've got to say, so there would be no "best," just a bunch of people saying exactly what they mean.
Quote by MadassAlex

Either way, I'd say that metal is easy the most technical genre of music based on rock.

*scratches head*
If that's what you're saying, then you really aren't saying much.
Banging on a trash can
Quote by MadassAlex

Anything is "the most technical" if you start excluding anything more technical.
Someones knowledge of guitar companies spelling determines what amps you can own. Really smart people can own things like Framus because they sound like they might be spelled with a "y" but they aren't.
I just like it.

And to that guy above who can't spell Metallica and said that the 'guitar god's' don't generally play metal then quoted Slash and Kirk Hammett, I would like to direct you in the direction of John Petrucci (not heaviest metal obviously but still.)

EDIT: Ok i'll change it from John Petrucci to Marty Friedman, Randy Rhoads and Jake E Lee (just three I like) as i figure I will get alot of 'Dream Theatre is just prog rock n00b' comments.

Yeah anyway go listen to Tornado Of Souls.
Quote by Demonikk
Sig quotes can't be raised in captivity as you are trying to do, they must be taken from their natural environment, the vast plains of the pit for them to be truly beautiful

B# and E# exist. IN THEORY.
Prove me otherwise on your guitar.
Last edited by weretarantula at Nov 16, 2008,
Quote by Demonikk

You've got to be kidding
If it wasn't for bad luck, I wouldn't have no luck at all
Quote by Archeo Avis
People like metal for the same reason that they like anything else: certain aspects of it or conventions within it appeal to their preferences.
...well that's not redundant at all...
Seriously, the thread is about those aspects and conventions.

My answer is - metal culture has a large egotistical and superficial aspect to it (one word sums it up: brutal), and I would say many people get into it for the image rather than the art.

I agree with BigFatSandwich
My name is Andy
Quote by MudMartin
Only looking at music as math and theory, is like only looking at the love of your life as flesh and bone.

Swinging to the rhythm of the New World Order,
Counting bodies like sheep to the rhythm of the war drums
Quote by Ænimus Prime

My answer is - metal culture has a large egotistical and superficial aspect to it (one word sums it up: brutal), and I would say many people get into it for the image rather than the art.

I agree with BigFatSandwich

And I agree to you.

(most intelligent)

[font="Palatino Linotype
Who's Andy Timmons??
Quote by Ænimus Prime

It isn't, no.

Fine. People like metal because it makes use of palm muting on the low E string. All metal does, and that's why all people like it. Of course, you could argue that different people have different preferences, and that each person enjoys a particular genre of metal (and there are many, with significant differences between them) for their own reasons, but that would be "redundant".
No need to get your knickers in a twist. Just having a go at you mate.

Sure there's a great variety of metal subgenres, but it's all still under the metal umbrella. The question is what makes that umbrella so appealing?
My name is Andy
Quote by MudMartin
Only looking at music as math and theory, is like only looking at the love of your life as flesh and bone.

Quote by Ænimus Prime
The question is what makes that umbrella so appealing?

The same could've been asked about pop-punk a little while ago. It's just popular right now.
Banging on a trash can
Quote by BigFatSandwich
It's just popular right now.
And the question is: why?
My name is Andy
Quote by MudMartin

Quote by BigFatSandwich
*scratches head*
If that's what you're saying, then you really aren't saying much.

You forgot about the genre of prog rock, and similarly its offshoots. As well as the hardcore subgenres like mathcore.

Either way, my point is that there's plenty of undeniably technical metal. Comparing it to other technical genres is pointless, though, because the skills and concepts that go into metal are so different to those from other genres.

For instance, I don't expect a classical guitarist to be able to play 16th notes at 220 bpm for eight minutes straight, but I wouldn't trust a metal guitarist to play a three part harmony with himself using finger style.
Quote by marmoseti
Mastering your instrument is being able to play whatever you hear in your head, unhindered by inadequate technique. After that, it's all about what you've got to say, so there would be no "best," just a bunch of people saying exactly what they mean.
Quote by MadassAlex
You forgot about the genre of prog rock, and similarly its offshoots. As well as the hardcore subgenres like mathcore.

Either way, my point is that there's plenty of undeniably technical metal. Comparing it to other technical genres is pointless, though, because the skills and concepts that go into metal are so different to those from other genres.

For instance, I don't expect a classical guitarist to be able to play 16th notes at 220 bpm for eight minutes straight, but I wouldn't trust a metal guitarist to play a three part harmony with himself using finger style.

What I meant was, you're saying metal is the best of a very select group. Metal is the most technical of "rock based music"? As opposed to what other rock based music? Punk? Well of course. But the last part of your post pretty much said exactly how I feel. Saying metal is the most technical is ridiculous. There is more to guitar playing that fast sweeps on an electric.

Quote by Ænimus Prime
And the question is: why?

Because it's really easy to be somewhat good at? Let's face it. When playing metal, it doesn't take a lot of talent to sound "good" to a beginner. It's flashy. It tends to get a "wow" out of people much easier than something played on an acoustic guitar. And it's agressive--perfect for angsty teenagers.
Banging on a trash can
In our country, I think metal bands and listeners will not reach 40% of all music listeners here.
Quote by BigFatSandwich
What I meant was, you're saying metal is the best of a very select group. Metal is the most technical of "rock based music"? As opposed to what other rock based music? Punk?

Like I said, "rock based music" can include progressive rock, post rock, mathcore and so on.

Quote by BigFatSandwich
Because it's really easy to be somewhat good at? Let's face it. When playing metal, it doesn't take a lot of talent to sound "good" to a beginner. It's flashy. It tends to get a "wow" out of people much easier than something played on an acoustic guitar. And it's agressive--perfect for angsty teenagers.

Allow me to respectfully disagree. I think it's blindingly obvious when someone is bad at what they do irrespective of the genre they play. In fact, I'd argue it's even more obvious in metal - corner cutting, overuse of distortion and general sloppiness are all pretty easy traps to fall into.
Quote by marmoseti
Quote by MadassAlex
Like I said, "rock based music" can include progressive rock, post rock, mathcore and so on.

Progressive is less technical than metal?? Uh... you know what? At this point I don't even know what "metal" is, anymore. Nothing is just metal. Everything is something-metal. Black, death, tech, doom, nu, etc, etc.

Allow me to respectfully disagree. I think it's blindingly obvious when someone is bad at what they do irrespective of the genre they play. In fact, I'd argue it's even more obvious in metal - corner cutting, overuse of distortion and general sloppiness are all pretty easy traps to fall into.

Yes, because you have an ear for all of those things. But a first year guitarist looking for some way to be "cool" and his 15 year old girlfriend don't. So yes, it's easy to tune to drop d (or lower), play with one finger, and scream and growl nonsense over repetitive drum beats.
Banging on a trash can
Quote by BigFatSandwich
Progressive is less technical than metal?? Uh... you know what? At this point I don't even know what "metal" is, anymore. Nothing is just metal. Everything is something-metal. Black, death, tech, doom, nu, etc, etc.

Yes, because you have an ear for all of those things. But a first year guitarist looking for some way to be "cool" and his 15 year old girlfriend don't. So yes, it's easy to tune to drop d (or lower), play with one finger, and scream and growl nonsense over repetitive drum beats.

Technique is relative, based on what you play, and learned over the years. True/traditional country players can't play Sweeping arpeggios and tapping and True/traditional Metaleers can't play Chicken picking and banjo rolls, but both are very hard for each other to learn. So what's more technical?

My point is, you are only ALLOWED to talk of technical difficulties in their respective genre's.
Example 6 string sweeps is technical harder then 3 string sweeps, and 8 note tapping harder then 4 note tapping.
You can never say chicken picking is harder then tapping. That's bs.
You can't compare techniques from different genre's.

(most intelligent)

[font="Palatino Linotype
Who's Andy Timmons??
Last edited by xxdarrenxx at Nov 16, 2008,
Quote by xxdarrenxx
Technique is relative, based on what you play, and learned over the years. True/traditional country players can't play Sweeping arpeggios and tapping and True/traditional Metaleers can't play Chicken picking and banjo rolls, but both are very hard for each other to learn. So what's more technical?

That's exactly the point I'm trying to make. There's this idea that metal is the hardest and most technical music that one can play on guitar. That simply isn't true! Never mind the fact that technicality isn't everything (ask any blues player).
Banging on a trash can
Quote by BigFatSandwich

I think I should call this anecdotal. I personally find contemporary extreme metal harder to play than 70s progressive rock, perhaps you feel differently to me.
Quote by marmoseti
Quote by MadassAlex
I think I should call this anecdotal. I personally find contemporary extreme metal harder to play than 70s progressive rock, perhaps you feel differently to me.

*shrug* to be completely honest, I don't play either, so I can't exactly disagree with you.
Banging on a trash can
Quote by BigFatSandwich
That's exactly the point I'm trying to make. There's this idea that metal is the hardest and most technical music that one can play on guitar. That simply isn't true! Never mind the fact that technicality isn't everything (ask any blues player).

Agreed, It's pure bs. Being able to design space rockets = hard. Being able to design nuclear submarine's = hard. But scientists in both professions, can't do each other's job. How can you say what's more technical then? It's assumed by what normal people perceive difficult.

But the former can probably design space rockets easier then running a mile under 3 minutes whilst an athlete can do run a 1 mile while sleeping under 3 minutes, but would die if he come anywhere near a rocket.

(most intelligent)

[font="Palatino Linotype
Who's Andy Timmons??
Quote by xxdarrenxx
But the former can probably design space rockets easier then running a mile under 3 minutes whilst an athlete can do run a 1 mile while sleeping under 3 minutes, but would die if he come anywhere near a rocket.

Yeah, but the athletes get the fame, the girls and the money while the space rocket guy gets his glasses punched off and his lunch money taken. Metal is so popular right now (especially on UG) that playing it gets you all sorts of attention. So metal players are the athletes. Acoustic guitarists (like me) are the rocket guys.
Banging on a trash can
Maybe where you come from.
Quote by marmoseti
Page 1 of 4