Hey, Im just getting into metal. I've listened to Iron Maiden, a little bit of Megadeth, Metallica, Marilyn manson etc. What stuff should I listen to?
go some Judas Priest, Black Sabbath, more Iron Maiden and 80s Metallica, after that, where you wanna go kinda depends on if you want to get heavier, or just stay on classic metal styles.
Hovercraft Falcon 100 "La Dama del Solaris"
ESP LTD Phoenix-1000
Epiphone Les Paul Custom Silverburst
Quote by MrWeenie
go some Judas Priest, Black Sabbath, more Iron Maiden and 80s Metallica, after that, where you wanna go kinda depends on if you want to get heavier, or just stay on classic metal styles.

Aye!
Get heavier and darker, it's a funner road to travel if you can stand the goth dweebs ruining all your favorite songs by turning them into poetry.
Buy every Megadeth album. All Testament albums from Legacy-Low... Could go on forever, but this thread seems ridiculous, especially in this part of the forum...

If you said, for learning such and such a technique on guitar "what should I listen to" then that would be different.
my heavier music tastes generally encompass some Children Of Bodom, Exodus, Arch Enemy, Machine Head, Pantera, Slayer, Testament etc.
Hovercraft Falcon 100 "La Dama del Solaris"
ESP LTD Phoenix-1000
Epiphone Les Paul Custom Silverburst
Decapitated, Hypocrisy, Carcass, Kreator...

Though really you'd probably like Iced Earth. But that's questionable due to the Marilyn Manson...
You must define metal. There's tech metal, death metal, black metal, gothic metal, progressive, hair metal, 80's metal (argueably the same thing), etc. Sounds like you're into the 80's stuff.

Megadeth is a perfect place to start. Sabbath and Maiden as well.
If you ever decide to get into some intensely techincal music, hit up some of The Faceless or Between the Buried and Me.
My Rig:
Schecter 006 Diamond Series (Discontinued) Flat Black
Jackson JS30RR Metallic Blue
Line 6 Spider II 210
Boss TU-2
Sennheiser E835-S

Current Top 3:
Between the Buried and Me (Always)
The Faceless
Murder By Death
have a look at the metal thread as well, its got a load of info on almost all genres of metal. just listen to a few songs by the bands on youtube or something to get an idea of what you like.
"Swim in a lake of death, eaten by crocodiles!"

Gear:
Jackson RR3
Epiphone Les Paul Custom
Stagg C 442
Randall RG100G3 plus combo
Roland Cube 30X
TS9 Tubescreamer
Opeth, Nevermore, Meshuggah, Dream Theater, KSE, Trivium, Blind Guardian, Kamelot, Dethklok, God Forbid, In Flames, Lamb of God, Pain of Salvation, Sigh, Symphony X...
Quote by slickerthnsleek
YOU WIN THE INTERNET.
Quote by dxpaintball8000
long live bucketmark.
Quote by 4regt4
Buy every Megadeth album.

Even Risk and Cryptic Writings? And the endless amount of Greatest hits?
Judas Priest FTW!

Go buy Painkiller NOW!
Sunn O))):
Quote by Doppelgänger
You could always just sleep beside your refrigerator.

Guitar:
- Ibanez S670FM w/ JB
- Fender 'Lite Ash' Stratocaster
- Fender '72 Deluxe Telecaster
- Arbiter LP Jr. Doublecut
Amp:
- Laney VC15

'72 Tele Appreciation Group
RIP DIO
Well if you wanna check out more modern stuff, Trivium and All That Remains are a must. Between the Buried and Me is also really good
Gibson Les Paul Studio Deluxe/Ibanez RGA42/LTD EC401vf
Into:
Whammy IV>Pitchblack>Dunlop 536Q>Fulltone Fulldrive 2>Hardwire TL-2>MXR 10 Band>Line 6 M13
Into:
80s Carvin x100b w/ cab
Quote by Mwoit
Even Risk and Cryptic Writings? And the endless amount of Greatest hits?

WTF is wrong with those albums? Only song I don't love from both those albums collectively is "I'll Get Even" off CW, otherwise, I find every track fantastic off both those albums.
Well, I started with Iron Maiden and Metallica, then started listening to Megadeth, Black Sabbath, then Pantera and Slayer and finally Children of Bodom ..
Quote by JWD32792
Well if you wanna check out more modern stuff, Trivium and All That Remains are a must. Between the Buried and Me is also really good

Dude, he said metal.
Quote by Brunnis Jetrel, Eve-Search Forums
oh the good old days of launching strawberries at point blank range into people's faces with a ballista... brings back mammaries

Quote by SkyValley
Kick your OWN ass before he has a chance to get to it.

Clicky --->
Last edited by Wigert at Nov 16, 2008,
I understand Trivium and All That Remains. But God help me I cannot seem to grasp what is un-metal about Between the Buried and Me. We're considering Metallica metal and not BTBAM? Metallica's mainstream and, yes, excellent, but my point stands.

Between the Buried and Me plays in C#, uses signatures like 10/8, 7/8, 15/8, etc and is HEAVY as HELL. I just.. can't understand what about them seems to be comparable to core in any way.

They are technical, man. Tech as hell. Anyway, I just don't like to hear one of my favorite bands bashed. Sorry for the rant. You really should check em out though.
My Rig:
Schecter 006 Diamond Series (Discontinued) Flat Black
Jackson JS30RR Metallic Blue
Line 6 Spider II 210
Boss TU-2
Sennheiser E835-S

Current Top 3:
Between the Buried and Me (Always)
The Faceless
Murder By Death
Metallica, Judas Priest, Megadeth, Iron Maiden, Black Sabbath, Ozzy's first album with Randy is made of win also. Dream Theater too.
Quote by Eddie4President
Either you remind her of a girl, or she's not a lesbian.

Quote by blake1221
Jabba's real name is Katie.
pantera is a must. dime got me into playing guitar
(Main)Gear-v
Jackson Dinky DKMGT
PRS SE Paul Allender
Peavey 6505+ 112
Quote by AnOblivion
I understand Trivium and All That Remains. But God help me I cannot seem to grasp what is un-metal about Between the Buried and Me. We're considering Metallica metal and not BTBAM? Metallica's mainstream and, yes, excellent, but my point stands.

Between the Buried and Me plays in C#, uses signatures like 10/8, 7/8, 15/8, etc and is HEAVY as HELL. I just.. can't understand what about them seems to be comparable to core in any way.

They are technical, man. Tech as hell. Anyway, I just don't like to hear one of my favorite bands bashed. Sorry for the rant. You really should check em out though.

I know that, I was mainly refering to Trivium and All That Remains. Yes, BTBAM is mainly progressive death, although it has some metalcore influences.
Quote by Brunnis Jetrel, Eve-Search Forums
oh the good old days of launching strawberries at point blank range into people's faces with a ballista... brings back mammaries

Quote by SkyValley
Kick your OWN ass before he has a chance to get to it.

Clicky --->
I would start out with Black Sabbath, Judas Priest, Iron Maiden. Then move onto Slayer, Anthrax, Megadeth, overkill, testament, This is just one of them personal preference threads. I guess its really up to you to seek out and find the music you want to hear. I might get harrased for this, but i would also recomend checking out Dream Theatre.
Last edited by IPlaySchecter at Nov 16, 2008,
Really, everything that's been said is what i would suggest. I would also suggest (don't know if it was already said) Trivium. Very good metal band.
Quote by ThePyromaster
Download 'All That Remains - The Fall of Ideals' best metal album out there

Lmfao.
Quote by Wigert
Dude, he said metal.

Like its been stated BTBAM is metal and I referred to ATR and Trivium as modern metal which, yeah is metalcore or whatever. All these friggin subgenre's are stupid.
Gibson Les Paul Studio Deluxe/Ibanez RGA42/LTD EC401vf
Into:
Whammy IV>Pitchblack>Dunlop 536Q>Fulltone Fulldrive 2>Hardwire TL-2>MXR 10 Band>Line 6 M13
Into:
80s Carvin x100b w/ cab
Quote by ThePyromaster
Buy 'All That Remains - The Fall of Ideals' best metal album out there ...or don't because it sucks

Fixed.

https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=474076

/thread.
R.I.P. My Signature. Lost to us in the great Signature Massacre of 2014.

Quote by Master Foo
“A man who mistakes secrets for knowledge is like a man who, seeking light, hugs a candle so closely that he smothers it and burns his hand.”

Album.
Legion.