hey guys im buying a valveking tomorrow (112) and i just have a few quick questions. i actually tried it today and thought it was alright. im just wondering since i primarily play metal and i know its not a typically hi gain amp... i have a zoom g2.1u pedal and i like how it sounds for metal tones- would it work nicely through the clean channel for really heavy distortion? (basically is it going to bring the best out of my pedal?). and also if i decide to is it possible to use a tube screamer coupled with the gain channel to get good metal distortion? if so im getting it on clearance so im gonna jump all over it (had a marshall mg100hdfx before so this should be an upgrade in sound right? even for metal in my case?
"every prince has to slay a few dragons before he meets his princess"
Compared to an MG, ofcourse it will be an upgrade.

And a tube screamer with the gain channel? Could result in a lot of feedback I imagine. I'm no expert though.
Quote by Regression
Compared to an MG, ofcourse it will be an upgrade.

And a tube screamer with the gain channel? Could result in a lot of feedback I imagine. I'm no expert though.

as long as you do this with a tube amp, it sounds great, really tightens up the sound. so TS, i recommend the tubescreamer on the gain channel more than i do the zoom pedal on the clean. and you could use the zoom in the effects loop to attenuate the amp like ibanezpsycho does with his volume pedal
periphery/bulb!

gear:
Ibanez RG7321 w/ D-sonic in bridge

Peavey 5150 mk ii & b52 4x12 cab

line 6 podxt for recording

Quote by AsOneIStand
Head and Cab for $130? You don't need a head and cabinet, you need a psychological examination.
it really depends...if you put the distortion pedal in the effects loop it might not be so bad with the gain channel. but if it's not in the effects loop it could be pretty bad. im not sure. but i think a distortion pedal on the clean channel works fine. i have a valveking,
Get the valveking if you want, then get a bad monkey overdrive (much better than the tube screamer when it comes to a valveking) thats 50$, get a danelectro eq pedal 30$. then down the road upgrade the speaker

Epiphone Les Paul Standard
Coming soon: Egnater Tweaker

Quote by gtr_101
Get the valveking if you want, then get a bad monkey overdrive (much better than the tube screamer when it comes to a valveking) thats 50$, get a danelectro eq pedal 30$. then down the road upgrade the speaker

basically what you did lol

07 Fender American Deluxe Strat
07 Fender Custom Telecaster
09 Seymour Duncan Pickup Booster
09 Fulltone OCD V.4
10 Ibanez WH-10 V.2
09 Splawn SuperStock
10 Jet City JCA-20
97 Fender Hot Rod Deluxe

Yeh the SICK! bit sounds a bit stupid.

good suggestions. you think you can get quality metal tones with a bad monkey and seperate eq?
"every prince has to slay a few dragons before he meets his princess"
Quote by timzee117
basically what you did lol

yeah lol, well it gets a great metal tone, so i figured why not.

Epiphone Les Paul Standard
Coming soon: Egnater Tweaker

Quote by jordanzio
good suggestions. you think you can get quality metal tones with a bad monkey and seperate eq?

Bad Monkey setup as boost: Level 10, Gain 0, low/high to preference

EQ can be a sine curve with the upper mids being scooped and the lower mids being boosted, maintains a scooped sound while not really scooping any mids (the VK has a lot of upper mids stock).
Or you can just fiddle with it, if/when you get it, and see what sound you like...just don't scoop the mids with it.