Page 1 of 3
NailgunMassacre
Banned
131 IQ
I am on a budget and i am looking for the best half stack under $700, preferably over 100 watts. you can still list amps if theyre 100 watts, but it'd be nice to find one over. I also would it to have some nice gain, enough that i don't need a pedal to play pinch harmonics and metal.
ilikeguitar90
3,126 IQ
are you looking for solid state amps or tube amps? And are you going to be gigging?
NailgunMassacre
Banned
131 IQ
Quote by ilikeguitar90
are you looking for solid state amps or tube amps? And are you going to be gigging?

Yes, i will be gigging. And it doesn't matter to me which one, i just need a good half stack for under 700.
ilikeguitar90
3,126 IQ
Well if you're gigging, then you should definitely look into tube amps. They sound better when the volume's louder, whereas solid states are the opposite. I'm not too much of a metahead so I can't really help you with WHAT amp to get, but I'm sure other people will also recommend tube amps as well.

And I think that amp is cheap for the wattage for the exact reason I mentioned before, it's solid state and won't sound very good when cranked. But I'm not sure if that's the reason for the pricing.

Anyways good luck!
Archeo Avis
UG Nerd
578 IQ
Why, exactly, do you need a half-stack? You will get a far better amp for your money if you look into a combo, especially at your price range.
Someones knowledge of guitar companies spelling determines what amps you can own. Really smart people can own things like Framus because they sound like they might be spelled with a "y" but they aren't.
ale.oliveira
271 IQ
Randall RG50TC.

beats the sh+t out of any solid state half stack
ilikeguitar90
3,126 IQ
Quote by Archeo Avis
Why, exactly, do you need a half-stack? You will get a far better amp for your money if you look into a combo, especially at your price range.

This guy's right, even in small clubs a 30 watt tube amp combo should easily suffice. 100 watts, especially a 100 watt tube amp, is VERY loud. Jimmy Page used 30 watt tube amps for the sold out 2007 zeppelin reunion tour! And I think he used 100 watt tube amps during zeppelin's peak. How big of gigs exactly are we talking here?

I have a 30 watt tube amp, and I don't even turn the volume knob past 2 when playing in my bedroom with my parents in the house. Even when they're gone, the loudest I'll go is about 3-4. It's ridiculously loud (this coming from a someone who plays drums without any kind of ear protection)
Last edited by ilikeguitar90 at Nov 16, 2008,
NailgunMassacre
Banned
131 IQ
Quote by Archeo Avis

Well i have a 15 watt marshall microstack (christmas gift, i didnt ask for it) and it is nowhere near loud enough for any type of gig. I haven't really played tube amps i do not think. I just want a very loud amp with a decent amount of gain for under 700 to be more specific i guess. i chose half stacks because when i get the money i was going to get another cab to make it louder. I really do not want the amp to blowout as well.
Last edited by NailgunMassacre at Nov 16, 2008,
shadow__666
*meaningless bollocks*
2,129 IQ
Randall RG50TC. 50 watts of pure br00tal tube power.

/thread.
Quote by Cathbard
If all you had to go on was the forum you'd think a Decimator could cure noise caused by dodgey stage lighting and restock the ocean's population of sperm whales
jambi_mantra
Is actually English
740 IQ
Quote by NailgunMassacre
Well i have a 50 watt marshall microstack (christmas gift, i didnt ask for it) and it is nowhere near loud enough for any type of gig. I haven't really played tube amps i do not think. I just want a very loud amp with a decent amount of gain for under 700 to be more specific i guess. i chose half stacks because when i get the money i was going to get another cab to make it louder. I really do not want the amp to blowout as well.

If you're going tube, you don't need 50, let alone 100 watts.

And adding a cab won't actually make it louder.
No man has the right to be an amateur in the matter of physical training. It is a shame for a man to grow old without seeing the beauty and strength of which his body is capable

@gossage91
@overtimefitnessau
Archeo Avis
UG Nerd
578 IQ
Quote by NailgunMassacre
Well i have a 50 watt marshall microstack (christmas gift, i didnt ask for it) and it is nowhere near loud enough for any type of gig. I haven't really played tube amps i do not think. I just want a very loud amp with a decent amount of gain for under 700 to be more specific i guess. i chose half stacks because when i get the money i was going to get another cab to make it louder. I really do not want the amp to blowout as well.

*sigh*

It's not loud enough because it's a Marshall Microstack. The wattage has absolutely nothing to do with it, nor will adding another cab make a noticeable difference in volume. Even most low wattage (20-30 watt) tube amps will be far more than loud enough to gig with. If you need a clean tone and are for some reason not playing through the PA, you might go for something in the 50+ watt range.

You don't need a half stack.
Someones knowledge of guitar companies spelling determines what amps you can own. Really smart people can own things like Framus because they sound like they might be spelled with a "y" but they aren't.
Robino_Ibanez
fails at epic NPD's.
679 IQ
http://guitars.musiciansfriend.com/product/B52-60Watt-1x12-Tube-Combo?sku=480046
http://guitars.musiciansfriend.com/product/Randall-RG50TC-50W-1x12-Guitar-Combo-Amp?sku=481197
not halfstacks but great for the price
you can gig with combo amps no problem. as long as they are tube and of decent wattage. 100 watt halfstacks are not needed.
Ibanez S320 with Dimarzio Fred + Seymour Duncan 59-> Weeping Demon Wah -> Ibanez TS-7 -> Homemade iBoost x3 -> Keeley DS-1 -> Visual Sound H2O -> MXR Ten Band -> Traynor YCV20
H4T3BR33D3R
Resident Gibson Whore
2,488 IQ
Quote by NailgunMassacre

There's a reason why the Microstack is called the MG15MSII.

It's because it's fifteen watts not fifty.

Cabs don't make your amp louder. My 50 watt tube combo is just as loud as a 50 watt stack.

You're never going to use 50 watts to it's full potential, so why bother with 100?
Quote by Axelfox
my mom and i went to a furry con and on the second day she said she didn't come and pay money to go see dumb shit.

Quote by JustRooster
I incurred the wrath of the Association of White Knights. Specifically the Parent's Basement branch of service.
Shinozoku
UG Nerd
1,227 IQ
Quote by Survivalism

+1 to this. A friend of mine uses this half stack and it kicks some MAJOR ass.

Despite that, the guys above me are right. You really don't need more than 50. And if you've played guitar for more than a year, you should know the Marshall Micro Stacks are only 15 watts, not 50 =/
Then there's this band called Slice The Cake...

Bunch of faggots putting random riffs together and calling it "progressive" deathcore.
Stupid name.
Probably picked "for teh lulz"

Mod in UG's Official Gain Whores
Last edited by Shinozoku at Nov 16, 2008,
sesstreets
Spiral out. Keep going.
2,843 IQ
Quote by schecter ftw
I smell a Bugera combo.

I smell fail. Don't get one unless you're prepared for 200 dollars in improvements from fuses to tube replacements.
Pain is an illusion.
Schecter Hellraiser C-1 w/ Seymour Duncan JB/Jazz Combo
Pitchblack | Bad Horsie 2 | DS-1 | BF-2 | ISP Decimator | DD6
YouTube Channel
A Bad Guitarist
Banned
103 IQ
... Marshall MG100HDFX?...?
Just kidding, stay away from that thing. It actually comes with a complimentary suck pedal... THAT YOU CANT TURN OFF.
H4T3BR33D3R
Resident Gibson Whore
2,488 IQ
Quote by 311ZOSOVHJH
what's up with all your crappy posts?

Be nice man, he didn't mean to. He's just trying to be funny is all.
Quote by Axelfox
my mom and i went to a furry con and on the second day she said she didn't come and pay money to go see dumb shit.

Quote by JustRooster
I incurred the wrath of the Association of White Knights. Specifically the Parent's Basement branch of service.
TheEsupremacy
Registered Loser
1,661 IQ
There is only one correct answer to this thread and that is a Bugera halfstack. Period.
Highwaytohell
Motorhead'll do ur mum
3,347 IQ
The only correct answer is NOT A halfstack
Most halfstacks under 1500 are usually shit.

You don't NEED a halfstack. extra cabinets do not make something louder, they change bass response and resonance.

I'd recommend a good tube combo

Randall RG50TC
B-52 AT-100
Bugera 333xl

If you are willing to go used, go with

Used Peavey 5150 / 5150 II
Used Peavey Ultra / Ultra +
Used Peavey XXX
Used Mesa DC-2
Used Mesa F-30 / F-50
darkarbiter7
i love amp
4,594 IQ
Randall RG50TC is winrar.
Call me Wes.
Gear:
Fender American Deluxe HSS Strat
Chicago Blues Box Roadhouse
Bad Cat Cougar 5
1957 Gibson GA-5
Ceriatone 18w TMB Combo
Hughes & Kettner Tube Factor
Various Ibanez TS9s
Weber MASS Attenuator
NailgunMassacre
Banned
131 IQ
Quote by H4T3BR33D3R
There's a reason why the Microstack is called the MG15MSII.

It's because it's fifteen watts not fifty.

Cabs don't make your amp louder. My 50 watt tube combo is just as loud as a 50 watt stack.

You're never going to use 50 watts to it's full potential, so why bother with 100?

Oh, damn youre right it is 15. My bad. I think i was reading the amount of volts.

Anyways, would a tube 50watt be as loud as say a 100 watt or 125 watt half stack?

Also would the speakers blow out if I played it at excessively high volumes all the time?
H4T3BR33D3R
Resident Gibson Whore
2,488 IQ
Quote by NailgunMassacre
Oh, damn youre right it is 15. My bad. I think i was reading the amount of volts.

Anyways, would a tube 50watt be as loud as say a 100 watt or 125 watt half stack?

Also would the speakers blow out if I played it at excessively high volumes all the time?

a 50 watt tube amp can easily keep up with a 150 watt solid state half stack.

I'm guessing you don't know how wattage and volume work so I'll tell you.

If you want an amp that's half as loud as a 100 watt amp, you have to go ten times less. That means, a 10 watt amp is half as loud as a 100 watt amp. In fact, a 50 watt amp is not even audibly quieter than the 100 watt equivalent.

That and a 100 watt amp cranked with 100 percent efficient speakers is well over 130 dB. That's close to a jet plane taking off.

Still convinced you need a 100 watt amp buddy?
Quote by Axelfox

Quote by JustRooster
seizetheday1103
The one and only
1,866 IQ
Quote by ilikeguitar90
This guy's right, even in small clubs a 30 watt tube amp combo should easily suffice. 100 watts, especially a 100 watt tube amp, is VERY loud. Jimmy Page used 30 watt tube amps for the sold out 2007 zeppelin reunion tour! And I think he used 100 watt tube amps during zeppelin's peak. How big of gigs exactly are we talking here?

I have a 30 watt tube amp, and I don't even turn the volume knob past 2 when playing in my bedroom with my parents in the house. Even when they're gone, the loudest I'll go is about 3-4. It's ridiculously loud (this coming from a someone who plays drums without any kind of ear protection)

i have a 60 watt tube amp and its not even loud enough for band practice
(Main)Gear-v
Jackson Dinky DKMGT
PRS SE Paul Allender
Peavey 6505+ 112
Highwaytohell
Motorhead'll do ur mum
3,347 IQ
Quote by seizetheday1103

You probably scoop the shit out of the mids, or in the case of the B-52 set the contour too high so that the MIDS are gone thus destroying your ability to cut through the mix.
H4T3BR33D3R
Resident Gibson Whore
2,488 IQ
Quote by seizetheday1103

Do you have a blown tube or is your amp retarded?

My 50 watter drowns out my entire band when I have it at half volume.
Quote by Axelfox

Quote by JustRooster
TheEsupremacy
Registered Loser
1,661 IQ
Quote by H4T3BR33D3R
Do you have a blown tube or is your amp retarded?

My 50 watter drowns out my entire band when I have it at half volume.

I'm saying.
H4T3BR33D3R
Resident Gibson Whore
2,488 IQ
Quote by TheEsupremacy
I'm saying.

What are you saying?
Quote by Axelfox

Quote by JustRooster
nightraven
?
653 IQ
Quote by seizetheday1103

you're doing something wrong
mike.h
not really mike.h
1,888 IQ
What the hell is going on in this thread LOL.

In regards to new amps, the Bugera's seem to have fuller and thicker tone than the B-52 and especially the Randall.
Epiphone G-400
GFS Crunchy PAF - Bridge

DigiTech Bad Monkey
iSP Decimator

New Amp Fund: Depleted
NailgunMassacre
Banned
131 IQ
Quote by seizetheday1103

This is what I am worried about. Because a really need an amp to be loud as hell, perform with solid gain, and not blow out the speakers. And from what i've heard I think I am going to get a tube amp. Is it just the B-52 AT 112 that's not loud? I really do not want to get the wrong amp again, because my band is going to be recording an E.P. soon, and playing shows once a week in various venues.
Blompcube
Registered User Error
4,278 IQ
Quote by NailgunMassacre

no, unless the speaker is rated at a lower wattage than the amps output wattage, which it shouldn't be.

honestly 30 watts tube should be just right if you want nothing but distortion even with a loud drummer, 50 if you want cleans with an especially loud drummer. i don't know what siezetheday1103 is doing wrong, but he's definitely doing something wrong if his 60 watt tube amp isn't loud enough...
Rig: (under construction)
1979 Yamaha SG1000
Fender Jazzmaster
1964 Vox AC30TB
A/B/Tuner box
A -> DIY fuzz, tremolo and boost -> normal channel
B -> compressor, chorus and delay -> brilliant channel
Boss TU-3/Talkbox
Last edited by Blompcube at Nov 16, 2008,
mike.h
not really mike.h
1,888 IQ
Quote by NailgunMassacre
This is what I am worried about. Because a really need an amp to be loud as hell, perform with solid gain, and not blow out the speakers. And from what i've heard I think I am going to get a tube amp. Is it just the B-52 AT 112 that's not loud? I really do not want to get the wrong amp again, because my band is going to be recording an E.P. soon, and playing shows once a week in various venues.

60 Watts is MORE THAN ENOUGH.

I don't know if that guy plays in an isolation box while the rest of his band is mic'd up to PA's at full blast, but 60 watts dimed is enough to make you deaf.
Epiphone G-400
GFS Crunchy PAF - Bridge

DigiTech Bad Monkey
iSP Decimator

New Amp Fund: Depleted
H4T3BR33D3R
Resident Gibson Whore
2,488 IQ
Quote by NailgunMassacre

Venues over here don't let you crank 50 watt amps and over. Why?

TOO LOUD.

I have a 50 watt amp man, it's too loud.

You'll think it's too loud when you get one as well.
Quote by Axelfox

Quote by JustRooster
311ZOSOVHJH
G G A - B A B Y
7,171 IQ
Quote by H4T3BR33D3R

Be nice man, he didn't mean to. He's just trying to be funny is all.

I'm trying to be nice. I've held off saying that as it is. He recommended an MG in the 'What Amp Thread' yesterday it was said in seriousness. I'm just saying it doesn't do anyone any good to post just to post.

I support the Randall idea and have been skiddish on the Bugera's. I would look at used gear off Craigslist before anything else. I'd be happy to look too.