what does Sic mean? Slipknot's maggots tell eachother to stay "Sic" and stuff all the time but I have no clue what it means. Is it just people mispelling "Sick" to be cool?
Quote by Argonaut
^ Wrong Kensai.

Quote by Sean-Man
I may be a Narcissist, But im the Best Narcissist
thanks
Quote by Argonaut
^ Wrong Kensai.

Quote by Sean-Man
I may be a Narcissist, But im the Best Narcissist
Apparently:
Sic is a Latin word meaning "thus", "so", "as such", or "just as that". In writing, it is placed within square brackets and usually italicized – [sic] – to indicate that an incorrect or unusual spelling, phrase, punctuation, and/or other preceding quoted material has been reproduced verbatim from the quoted original and is not a transcription error.

Thanks Wiki.
peter

Last edited by GOD on the 7th day
yeah you use it when quoting something that contains spelling/grammar errors so the reader knows that it's verbatim from someone else and not an error on your part.
make Industrial and/or experimental electronic music? Join my group!

Last.fm
i thought it was because its a name of one of their songs and they like to use it as a word but meh.
"Swim in a lake of death, eaten by crocodiles!"

Gear:
Jackson RR3
Epiphone Les Paul Custom
Stagg C 442
Randall RG100G3 plus combo
Roland Cube 30X
TS9 Tubescreamer
yeah I'm not sure of what slipknot was trying to do there, I'd just chalk it up to poetic license and not worry about it.

Last.fm
Quote by dan ramP
i thought it was because its a name of one of their songs and they like to use it as a word but meh.

The song is "(sic)" as in "said in context." Then it became "sic" as in "sick."
You're*
oh and it's a latin word not an acronym, or else it would be capitalized, and it never is.

the word sic means "as it is" btw, for example sic semper tryrannis means as it is always with tyrants.

Last.fm
Slipknot are a terrible, terrible band.

But I think they use it in the context of the colloquial 'Sick', as in cool.
Quote by Survivalism
The song is "(sic)" as in "said in context." Then it became "sic" as in "sick."

i shouldve know that, seems live A level English isnt that useful after all
"Swim in a lake of death, eaten by crocodiles!"

Gear:
Jackson RR3
Epiphone Les Paul Custom
Stagg C 442
Randall RG100G3 plus combo
Roland Cube 30X
TS9 Tubescreamer
Quote by Survivalism

Oh I'm sorry, I'm stupid for knowing how acronyms are properly stylized in the English language. and I guess I'm stupid for knowing a bit of latin as well.

You sir PHAIL.

Last.fm
Quote by Kid_Thorazine
Oh I'm sorry, I'm stupid for knowing how acronyms are properly stylized in the English language. and I guess I'm stupid for knowing a bit of latin as well.

You sir PHAIL.

Yeah, no shit, I was wrong. That couldn't POSSIBLY be why I realized my mistake and deleted it. And you got it wrong, too, you fucking Latin expert.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/(sic)
You're*
Quote by Survivalism
Yeah, no shit, I was wrong. That couldn't POSSIBLY be why I realized my mistake and deleted it. And you got it wrong, too, you fucking Latin expert.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/(sic)

how exactly did I get it wrong? They offer a slightly different translation as it can be translated several different ways depending on the context in which it is used, that happens a lot in Latin (and several other languages for that matter)

http://www.archives.nd.edu/cgi-bin/lookup.pl?stem=sic&ending=

sic [so , thus, in this way; like this, as follows; in that case, with this limitation]; leading up to consecutive clause, [so much, to such a degree

Both of those can also be worded "as it is"

Last.fm
Last edited by Kid_Thorazine at Nov 16, 2008,