Im playing hysteria for a cover song on Bass and I need some tips.

I know all the riffs I just want to know...

How many right hand fingers to use (Im right handed)

Should I hammer on the: 10--12 Frets in the first bar?

What left hand fingers to use when playing he riffs.

When I play Hysteria it sounds Staccato and I want to get better, Any other tips welcome

**Move if in wrong forum**
theres a bit on hysteria in the bassist of the month thread might want to check it out
Originally Posted by smb
I'm an arrogant bastard - I thought I was good before I'd plucked a note. I was right, of course.

Quote by MetalBass 77
sonsie knows all
Use as many right hand fingers as your comfortable using. Obviously 3 or more fingers means more economical playing, but if you can't get a consistent sound then you're better off using 2.
Quote by Metalfreak777
Dude if i were you i'd look more at bands like Dragonforce, Dragonland, Dream Theatre and Power Quest, most of their songs are either in E major, A major, C major or D majhor

Practice, Practice, Practice; Hysteria took me a good few weeks to get down, it's just a case of memorizing the riffs so you can play with them with your eye's closed
All I want is for everyone to go to hell...
...It's the last place I was seen before I lost myself

Quote by DisarmGoliath
You can be the deputy llamma of the recordings forum!
I feel bad for giving such a blunt reply so here.

Start slow. Play the first line over and over and over again until you can play it perfect at half the speed Chris does. Once you have that move on to the next line. Once you have all the lines down slowly just keep playing them. Before you know it you will be able to play it with ease. The key is just to practice and be accurate. The chorus is easy, just a little tricky to get a feel for. Watch some covers on youtube to get a feel for how it all goes together.
If you have any trouble with the fingers use a pick! Its not a good solution but it helps, you get a nice sound for it too! And you can play it faster quicker, if you had like a week to learn it I'd recommend using a pick but anymore than that and use your fingers or you'll regret it!
Gear:

Musicman SUB 5
Ibanez SRX305
Ibanez GSR200
Ashdown MAG300 C115
Ashdown MAG 210 cab

Soon a Fender Deluxe Jazz V & an LTD 206
as lot of pull-offs and hammer-ons as you can master,
he himself uses a lot too >.>

and the pick option is not helpfull, it is on different strings, that would be a b*tch to do with a pick!
Quote by Carmel
I can't believe you are whoring yourself out like that.

ಠ_ಠ
Quote by Neo Evil11
as lot of pull-offs and hammer-ons as you can master,
he himself uses a lot too >.>

and the pick option is not helpfull, it is on different strings, that would be a b*tch to do with a pick!

Depends on which way you play it.

You can do the version where you play each phrase on one string, which will be easy for using a pick, or the string skipping version... which will also be rather easy to pick, come to think of it. I personally use the string skipping method with fingers- it's a workout, but your left hand stays nice and happy with the less movement required.
I personally keep it on a string for each of the 4 sections. It means the right hand is just pounding 8th notes, while you can concentrate on the left.

Once you break it down, the riff really isn't hard at all. It's a bit like Tommy the Cat. Sure it's an absolute swine if you jump right into it, but if you start off slow and build muscle memory, it actually becomes fairly good after a while. Once you memorise it, just run through it every time you play. You'll not notice how quickly you build up speed, just because it becomes natural.
Warwick freak of the Bass Militia. PM Nutter_101 to join

Quote by elliott FTW
Damn you and Warwickyness

Quote by ScottB
Quote by CLIFF_BURTON
gm jack knows everything
+1
Just over 3 hours from frustration to being able to play it. Not bad at all.
Warwick freak of the Bass Militia. PM Nutter_101 to join

Quote by elliott FTW
Damn you and Warwickyness

Quote by ScottB
Quote by CLIFF_BURTON
gm jack knows everything
+1
Quote by gm jack
Just over 3 hours from frustration to being able to play it. Not bad at all.

Thanks
I thought for the left hand it was easy, but for the right hand it is a "b*itch: you will learn it in time
Quote by Carmel
I can't believe you are whoring yourself out like that.

ಠ_ಠ
Quote by Neo Evil11
I thought for the left hand it was easy, but for the right hand it is a "b*itch: you will learn it in time

Depends if your doing the string skipping version or not
All I want is for everyone to go to hell...
...It's the last place I was seen before I lost myself

Quote by DisarmGoliath
You can be the deputy llamma of the recordings forum!
I agree with everything that everyone has suggested, but I'll add that you should aim to reduce right hand action a little, brush the strings lightly and let the amp do the work, otherwise you will tire too quickly as it's a relentless driving bassline.
signature
i generally use 3 fingers on the left hand and try to do as many hammer ons as possible, the more the better so you dont tire yourself out by the end of the song.

just remember: practice makes perfect