I am looking at getting a Laney L5 but all of the dealers in my area have to order one. I was wondering if anyone has had a chance to try one. Now that I have a family I have stopped playing in bands so just need an amp that play's at low volumes. I currently have a Mesa Express 5:50 2x12 and even in its 5 watt setting it is just too much, not to mention the fact I have never been thrilled with its sound. I am a little concerned the Laney will not have enough gain. I do not need a lot of it; I play mainly instrumental rock stuff like Vai, Satriani, and Timmons. I do also play jazz and blues on occasion. I am hoping it at least has the gain of a Peavey Classic 30. Any help or opinions would be appreciated. Thanks.
You know... if you're looking for something that sounds great at low volumes. You should look into a PC based modeling program.

For a couple of hundred dollars you can get the sounds of tons of classic amps and effects. I recently purchased some m audio near fields and use a guitar port and man I can't tell you how pleased I am. Some of the Line 6 models sound a little cheesy but they've just come out with the new PodXT or something with the new pc interfaces. I'm thinking about getting one.

Or if you don't mind spending a little more money you could get Guitar Rig 3... that's more accurate imo. The models anyway. But I love my line 6. Hell I only ever use the plexi model anyhow. That's the way my carvin sounds cranked. I just put my pedalboard before the guitarport and shazam! MY effects through hehe "my" amp with a better cab. It's not too loud so you don't blow the wife and kids away and my speakers are 40 watts so if I do want to crank it a bit... I can.
1988 Epi LP Custom
Peavey Wolfgang Special
G&L ASAT Classic Tribute
PRS SE Soapbar
PRS SE Custom
Jet City JCA20H
VOX lil' Night Train
Celestion Greenback and Vintage 30 Speakers
Assorted Pedals and swag
Quote by The_rylan
You know... if you're looking for something that sounds great at low volumes. You should look into a PC based modeling program.

For a couple of hundred dollars you can get the sounds of tons of classic amps and effects. I recently purchased some m audio near fields and use a guitar port and man I can't tell you how pleased I am. Some of the Line 6 models sound a little cheesy but they've just come out with the new PodXT or something with the new pc interfaces. I'm thinking about getting one.

Or if you don't mind spending a little more money you could get Guitar Rig 3... that's more accurate imo. The models anyway. But I love my line 6. Hell I only ever use the plexi model anyhow. That's the way my carvin sounds cranked. I just put my pedalboard before the guitarport and shazam! MY effects through hehe "my" amp with a better cab. It's not too loud so you don't blow the wife and kids away and my speakers are 40 watts so if I do want to crank it a bit... I can.

No.
I have GR3, and although it is a great program, it doesn't compare to an all tube amp.
If my amp wasn't so loud, I'd be using ALL the time, but I only use it for a few hours a day max.

I say get the Lionheart - they are meant to be superb.
Can't go wrong. Go buy it.
Although, you will need pedals for a higher gain sound (and the EL84s might not be the best for higher gain - but try telling that to Brian May).
Sunn O))):
Quote by Doppelgänger
You could always just sleep beside your refrigerator.

Guitar:
- Ibanez S670FM w/ JB
- Fender 'Lite Ash' Stratocaster
- Fender '72 Deluxe Telecaster
- Arbiter LP Jr. Doublecut
Amp:
- Laney VC15

'72 Tele Appreciation Group
RIP DIO