Hey peeps, wondering what i should do with my guitar.
Heres the problem: My A and B strings buzz when i play it open.

Specs: String Guage: 10s
Gibson Firebird V

Solutions appreciated!
Bob
well, is it such a big problem, i mean can you hear it over the distortion while plugged in ?
there's a setup thread with a first post picture tutorial in my sig.

1. you might need fresh strings
2. you might need different gauge strings, if they dont fit in the cuts of the nut.
3. if the strings are rubbing the first few frets you might need a neck adjustment.
4. you might be fine, if the buzz is not even transmitted thru the amp, like said.
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62
Jenny needs to sow her wild oats with random Gibsons and Taylors she picks up in bars before she settles down with a PRS.

Set up Questions? ...Q & A Thread

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A/GB&C WTLT Lists 2011
Its quite a big problem especially when its clean, it can be heard distinctly over the amp. I believe its rubbing the first few frets. I'd try changing the strings soon as well to reconfirm this. How do u check it the string fits into the nut perfectly? Thanks again.
if you are using 9's and wouldnt mind the bump up in gauge, then consider 10s, swapping one string at a time, to keep tension on the bridge.

if it's a trem bridge, it might lift a little at the ass end, so you would tighten the screws in the back trem cavity afterwards.

if the strings seem to bounce around in the cuts, the cuts might be a little wide.
if the strings are wedged tight in there, or sitting on top, then the cuts might be a a little small.

the cuts might be low, if the string isnt high enough, leaving the board.
it's just something, you might need to eyeball.

if you dont want to go thicker on the strings, then you can adjust the neck. this isnt as hard as you might think.

if you feel like u'd like to try that, then repost and i'll explain how.
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62
Jenny needs to sow her wild oats with random Gibsons and Taylors she picks up in bars before she settles down with a PRS.

Quote by jj1565
if you are using 9's and wouldnt mind the bump up in gauge, then consider 10s, swapping one string at a time, to keep tension on the bridge.

if it's a trem bridge, it might lift a little at the ass end, so you would tighten the screws in the back trem cavity afterwards.

if the strings seem to bounce around in the cuts, the cuts might be a little wide.
if the strings are wedged tight in there, or sitting on top, then the cuts might be a a little small.

the cuts might be low, if the string isnt high enough, leaving the board.
it's just something, you might need to eyeball.

if you dont want to go thicker on the strings, then you can adjust the neck. this isnt as hard as you might think.

if you feel like u'd like to try that, then repost and i'll explain how.

Hmm, i'm on 10s now and i kinda like how it feels, not sure what the stock gauge of a firebird is tho. I bought it used. Do i need to use a truss rod or anything?
ok, click the set up link in my sig. look at the first post, "adjusting a neck"

measure the neck relief and post back here.
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62

Quote by jj1565
ok, click the set up link in my sig. look at the first post, "adjusting a neck"

measure the neck relief and post back here.

I dun see any info on measuring the neck relief but i took ur advice on the fretting of the low e on both the first and the last fret. Between frets 7-9, the string is touching the cutting of the frets.
yeah that's measuring neck relief. (i'll add that to the name in there)

anyway, when fretting first and last fret (where the neck and body meet), if the string lays on the middle frets, it means, you dont have enough neck relief.

you can turn the truss rod 1/4 turn Clockwise.

that's a very small amount. dont force the turn. dont turn more than that today.

and leave the guitar in tune while it settles.

you want the string to be off the fret wire, but no more than a credit cards thickness up from the wire there.
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62

Hi after turning, now my low e string has a fret buzz as well
i think i may have screwed up by turning to much.. what to do?
Ok, just changed my strings, still buzzing, but this time, all the strings are buzzing.. Help please! Save my firebird!!
hey, did you take all the strings off at once?
did you change gauge?

did you raise the actioin at the bridge?
did you measure neck relief after the strings settled in?
where is it buzzing?

what did you find when you measured?
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62

Quote by jj1565
hey, did you take all the strings off at once?
did you change gauge?

did you raise the actioin at the bridge?
did you measure neck relief after the strings settled in?
where is it buzzing?

what did you find when you measured?

Hi, nope i did not raise the action at the bridge, i havent measured the neck relief yet, i didnt take the strings all at once, only one per time, at most 2. I feel it is buzzing between the 1-5 or even 1-7 frets...
ok so i'm guessing you didnt chage gauge?
and you let the strings settle in a bit, until they hold a tune?

anyway,
fret the first string on the low E at the same time,
fret the last fret on the low E, where the neck and body meet.

if the string is touching the middle frets there then turn 1/4 turn Counter clockwise.

just looking over this thread from last month, i think i misunderstood your explanation of where the string was in relation to the fretwire.
because if you are getting fret buzz, in the first few frets, a 1/4 turn in a counter clockwise direction should ease the buzz. dont worry, it's just a turn, a correction the other way should take care of it.

dont force the turn.

give that a turn. dont turn any more today, then remeasure tomorrow and repost.
with an update.
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62

So is it true that i'm only able to turn 1/4 turn per day? And that i have to hang the guitar by it's headstock?
well no, you dont have to hang it by it's headstock.

but, it's a good idea not to over turn a truss rod. only because it takes hours for the neck to settle. so turning it too much is usually doing more harm than good.
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62

Borrowing thread a little...

The strings on my EX-50 buzz moderately from frets 8-21 on most strings. It's not very noticeable when playing disted, but it is a bit annoying anyway. Should I try adjusting the truss rod to get more angle on the neck, perhaps?

I'm quite new to this type of adjustments.
Ok, thanks , should i leave the guitar outside of the case? Also, i do not have to take out the strings right, cos i just restringed it...
Just turned it counter-clockwise cos the buzz was coming from the first few frets, the buzz still remains though, what should i do now?
yeah, you need the strings on. and in or out of the case doesnt matter.

ok, measure see where the string is on relation to the middle frets, when fret at the 1st and last fret.

if it's still laying on the middle frets, then, turn another 1/4 turn.

again, leave it in tune an hour, play it the rest of the day if you want,

then measure it later in the day, see if the string is off the frets yet.

arzei: click the link in my sig. you'll want to try to lift the bridge a little first.
the how to, is in the first post of that link.
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62

Last edited by jj1565 at Nov 30, 2008,