Page 1 of 3
My class has many guitarists, and only two of them are actually good.
I am planning to buy my first guitar in a couple of weeks (so ****ing excited), but I noticed that musical influence is VERY important.

All the guys who have been playing at least two years in my school, and suck, generally claim to be fluent in Back in Black by AC/DC.
Is it the de facto beginner's song?

I noticed that all the greatest guitarists, from Hendrix, Page, to Clapton, are heavily influenced by blues.
I force my self to listen to Stevie Ray Vaughan, BB King, and the Allman Brother's Band.
I actually like them, nice music by the african american community.

This nice classical guitar teacher at school (he's AWESOME) told me that we wouldn't improve if I keep playing American Idiot and Smells like Teen Spirit.

I admit it, I want my first song to be Breed by Nirvana, not because it's easy, but I just like the riff.

Is this true?

If you are confident in your skills, what music did you get influenced by?
This nice classical guitar teacher at school (he's AWESOME) told me that we wouldn't improve if I keep playing American Idiot and Smells like Teen Spirit.

Jeez..you're bringing the whole class down
First song I learned (back in '95) was Polly [Nirvana]. Nothing wrong with starting there, but yeah, Nirvana/Green Day is about as simple as it gets, so if you don't try something harder, you can't really get better.
Quote by WtrPlyr
Just play what you want to play. If you like to play Nirvana and other power-chords based songs for the rest of your life who cares?

meh, my ultimate goal since I was very little was to actually play the entire song library of Led Zeppelin.
That's not going to happen, but Jimmy Page is heavily blues inspired, I actually don't like Heavy Metal, especially the ones from the 80s and the 90s.

I hesitantly rented Metallica... by Metallica, and a Megadeth album, and didn't like them AT ALL.
The funny thing with one of my class mates, who brags about his "skillz", is that when I was still very ignorant about guitars, I asked him the difference of a scale and a chord.

He explained me what a chord is successfully, and then said a scale is a tool used for weights.

I was laughing my ass off.
dude, if its your first song it doesnt really matter. its not like youre going to learn surfing with the aliens, your teacher is a dick.

once you start playing and have a bunch of songs under your belt, then try something more challenging.
My Gear:
Gibson Faded Flying V
"Dante's Inferno" Iceman
Fender Hot Rod Deluxe 112
etc.

Quote by freedoms_stain
I can't imagine anything worse than shagging to Mark Knopfler.

Maybe shagging Mark Knopfler, but that's about it.
Quote by radomu
meh, my ultimate goal since I was very little was to actually play the entire song library of Led Zeppelin.
That's not going to happen, but Jimmy Page is heavily blues inspired, I actually don't like Heavy Metal, especially the ones from the 80s and the 90s.

I hesitantly rented Metallica... by Metallica, and a Megadeth album, and didn't like them AT ALL.

You'd be surprised how easy your ultimate goal would be when you practice.
Quote by zgr0826
My culture is worthless and absolutely inferior to the almighty Leaf.

Quote by JustRooster
I incurred the wrath of the Association of White Knights. Specifically the Parent's Basement branch of service.
There's no such thing as a true song designed for beginners. It's all ability and musical tastes. You might like Led Zeppelin, but you might not like blues. You might like Yngwie Malmsteen but not like Deep Purple or Rainbow. Don't force yourself to listen to their influences if you don't like them, and vice versa.

And don't expect to learn the entire discography of Led Zeppelin in the next 6 months either, some of their stuff is horribly complex to play. Like In My Time Of Dying is tricky to get down with a band, and some bits of it are difficult to play as is.

Oh well. If you enjoy Nirvana, play it. If you enjoy Green Day, play it. It doesn't matter if you're teacher says you won't improve, just because you play power chords and hoohah doesn't mean you can't become a brilliant guitarist.

If ya get me.
Cam Sampbell's my hero
Quote by Lil Macker
There's no such thing as a true song designed for beginners. It's all ability and musical tastes. You might like Led Zeppelin, but you might not like blues. You might like Yngwie Malmsteen but not like Deep Purple or Rainbow. Don't force yourself to listen to their influences if you don't like them, and vice versa.

And don't expect to learn the entire discography of Led Zeppelin in the next 6 months either, some of their stuff is horribly complex to play. Like In My Time Of Dying is tricky to get down with a band, and some bits of it are difficult to play as is.

Oh well. If you enjoy Nirvana, play it. If you enjoy Green Day, play it. It doesn't matter if you're teacher says you won't improve, just because you play power chords and hoohah doesn't mean you can't become a brilliant guitarist.

If ya get me.

I get you man.
But I actually don't like Alternative Rock compared to blues rock from the 60s to the 80s.
The only real alternative bands I listen to are Franz Ferdinand, Nirvana, and the Foo Fighters.

I'm enjoying Clapton and other bluesy stuff, surprisingly.

I'm not expecting my self to play all the zeppelin songs in 6 months.
It may take a decade, I never know.
But at least five years...

Don't worry, I know what I want to listen to.

I just don't want to force myself to practice powerchords if I want to do blues scales.
Quote by radomu

I force my self to listen to Stevie Ray Vaughan, BB King, and the Allman Brother's Band.

Stevie Ray is white......
Quote by KoolBeans

yeah, but the whole genre of blues lays deep in the Southern Blacks
SEVEN NATION ARMY - The White Stripes

Awesome right? ... heh. Anyway, yeah man just shoot for whatever you like. You're a new guitarist and you're about to have a new world opened up to you. Start it on a good note.
My Rig:
Schecter 006 Diamond Series (Discontinued) Flat Black
Jackson JS30RR Metallic Blue
Line 6 Spider II 210
Boss TU-2
Sennheiser E835-S

Current Top 3:
Between the Buried and Me (Always)
The Faceless
Murder By Death
Quote by AnOblivion
SEVEN NATION ARMY - The White Stripes

Awesome right? ... heh. Anyway, yeah man just shoot for whatever you like. You're a new guitarist and you're about to have a new world opened up to you. Start it on a good note.

U've gotta be kidding me lmao
Quote by radomu
I get you man.
But I actually don't like Alternative Rock compared to blues rock from the 60s to the 80s.
The only real alternative bands I listen to are Franz Ferdinand, Nirvana, and the Foo Fighters.

I'm enjoying Clapton and other bluesy stuff, surprisingly.

I'm not expecting my self to play all the zeppelin songs in 6 months.
It may take a decade, I never know.
But at least five years...

Don't worry, I know what I want to listen to.

I just don't want to force myself to practice powerchords if I want to do blues scales.

That's good then.

Can I give you a good guitarist guy to check out? Rory Gallagher. He's very blues based, he started out pretty much as a blues guy, but then progressed into rock music.

He's awesome!
Cam Sampbell's my hero
Quote by radomu
U've gotta be kidding me lmao

A) Why would I kid about that?
B) I was twelve years old at the time.
C) I think you're missing the 50 pounds of sarcasm I DUMPED over the top on that last post.
D) That song was shortly followed by Come as You Are by Nirvana. I now HATE Nirvana probably worse than any band besides Radiohead.
My Rig:
Schecter 006 Diamond Series (Discontinued) Flat Black
Jackson JS30RR Metallic Blue
Line 6 Spider II 210
Boss TU-2
Sennheiser E835-S

Current Top 3:
Between the Buried and Me (Always)
The Faceless
Murder By Death
Quote by WtrPlyr
Just play what you want to play. If you like to play Nirvana and other power-chords based songs for the rest of your life who cares?

+Infinity

Music isn't about showing off. True, maybe listening to those styles your teacher mentioned may improve your understanding of the genre, but to be honest, when you play guitar, you reap what you sow.

If you practice efficiently at a constant rate, you'll be better at it, just like everything in life if you put effort towards it. Guitar is something to enjoy, it's not a race to see who becomes the next EVH or Jimmy Page.
Quote by Eddie4President
Either you remind her of a girl, or she's not a lesbian.

Quote by blake1221
Jabba's real name is Katie.
Last edited by RR787 at Nov 16, 2008,
Quote by AnOblivion

A) Why would I kid about that?
B) I was twelve years old at the time.
C) I think you're missing the 50 pounds of sarcasm I DUMPED over the top on that last post.
D) That song was shortly followed by Come as You Are by Nirvana. I now HATE Nirvana probably worse than any band besides Radiohead.

i was actually joking with you
Quote by H4T3BR33D3R
You'd be surprised how easy your ultimate goal would be when you practice.

Thanks man, those words gave me a bit of hope
Well, I do have to agree with him that Nirvana and Green Day aren't the "Mad Guitar skillz" groups; their catchy and I enjoy both, but their mainly power chords, not the stuff you become a virtuoso off. Blues is a great way to figure out putting soul into your playing, and definitely some stuff like EVH, Steve Vai, Joe Satriani and other virtuosos will be very helpful with your technique.

As for Back In Black, it's a fun tune, but the riff itself is actually pretty easy. It's like Stairway; fun to play, more than just chords, well-known, well-liked and easy.

On the last pair of questions; I'm fairly confident in my skills. There's always someone better, but I think I'm at least decent, at least for five years. As far as my influences, my first experience with rock and the reason I picked up guitar were The Beatles, and the specific song that made me want to be a guitarist was probably A Hard Days Night. For a while I was mainly a rhythm player influenced by George Harrison's leads, but I didn't look much into anything other than rhythm, so not much soul in my improv. Then a friend of mine showed me Clapton and Led Zeppelin, and my playing took a huge change in direction, I think for the better. Nowadays my playing sounds somewhere between blues-rock and Zeppelin-y hard rock, which is actually a pretty good sounding combo.

Just pick whoever's playing you like though, and practice from there, trying to develop your technique.
THE FORUM UPDATE KILLED THE GRADIENT STAR

Baltimore Orioles: 2014 AL Eastern Division Champions, 2017: 50-54
Baltimore Ravens: 2012 World Champions, 2017: 0-0
2017 NFL Pick 'Em: 0-0
Last edited by necrosis1193 at Nov 16, 2008,
I'm fairly confident in my skills (though I haven't practiced as much as I'd like to have recently) and what influenced me was Black Sabbath more than anything else
Quote by Mr. La Fritz
"all fatties report to the gym!"

Quote by mosh_face

music should only sound like a train running into a wall of BC riches plugged into line 6 spiders
Quote by necrosis1193
Well, I do have to agree with him that Nirvana and Green Day aren't the "Mad Guitar skillz" groups; their catchy and I enjoy both, but their mainly power chords, not the stuff you become a virtuoso off. Blues is a great way to figure out putting soul into your playing, and definitely some stuff like EVH, Steve Vai, Joe Satriani and other virtuosos will be very helpful with your technique.

As for Back In Black, it's a fun tune, but the riff itself is actually pretty easy. It's like Stairway; fun to play, more than just chords, well-known, well-liked and easy.

On the last pair of questions; I'm fairly confident in my skills. There's always someone better, but I think I'm at least decent, at least for five years. As far as my influences, my first experience with rock and the reason I picked up guitar were The Beatles, and the specific song that made me want to be a guitarist was probably A Hard Days Night. For a while I was mainly a rhythm player influenced by George Harrison's leads, but I didn't look much into anything other than rhythm, so not much soul in my improv. Then a friend of mine showed me Clapton and Led Zeppelin, and my playing took a huge change in direction, I think for the better. Nowadays my playing sounds somewhere between blues-rock and Zeppelin-y hard rock, which is actually a pretty good sounding combo.

Just pick whoever's playing you like though, and practice from there, trying to develop your technique.

you're exactly the direction that I want to reach, some Blues-rock with Zeppelin-style hard rock.
Quote by radomu
you're exactly the direction that I want to reach, some Blues-rock with Zeppelin-style hard rock.

Hmm...then I'd recommend pretty much any Clapton stuff you can get your hands on; Cream, 70's solo career, Unplugged, whatever you can manage to get, as well as some Led Zeppelin from when they were still self-titling every album, but particularly Zeppelin I(The one with the Hindenburg on the cover). You may also want to try some SRV, he's easily the greatest blues player in recent memory.

Quote by necrosis1193
Hmm...then I'd recommend pretty much any Clapton stuff you can get your hands on; Cream, 70's solo career, Unplugged, whatever you can manage to get, as well as some Led Zeppelin from when they were still self-titling every album, but particularly Zeppelin I(The one with the Hindenburg on the cover). You may also want to try some SRV, he's easily the greatest blues player in recent memory.

oh my god, you have all my preferences.
I always wanted to play Pride and Joy, Layla, and Good Times Bad Times with some Communication Breakdown.
Quote by radomu
I always wanted to play Pride and Joy, Layla, and Good Times Bad Times with some Communication Breakdown.

Well, Pride & Joy is easy enough once you get the riff down, and once you figure out the chords, same story with Layla and Good Times Bad Times, as long as you can improv their solos. Communication breakdown is just a fun/easy to play number if you know the D, A and Bmajor bar chords and, again, can improv the solo. I could probably upload a tab of them sometime actually, I oughta do that...

Quote by radomu

Layla is actually a lot simpler than it looks, once you have hammer ons and pulls off down, as well as the minor penatonic scale, you should be able to take it on no problem.

Good Times Bad Times and Communication Breakdown are also easy, though the solos will probably take you a while, and Pride and Joy isn't exactly a beginners song, so you can attempt it, but don't expect to excel at it for a while.
ive played nothing but heavy metal for 5 months and it worked
Gear:
Morpheus Droptune
Ibanez Weeping Demon
Bugera 333xl 212
SCHECTER JEFF LOOMIS C7 FR
dude my first songs were brain stew and beverly hills, it's fine

Epiphone Les Paul Standard
Coming soon: Egnater Tweaker

My inspirations used to be guitarists that i currently think are horrible.
I started guitar listening to System of a down, slipknot, metallica, megadeth, ect.
But over the coarse of 2 years i have gotten into much more talented music.
Ive become a total proghead, progmetal, progdeath, progexperimental, ect.
IVe realized your inspirations basicly set the bar for what you want out of yourself as a musician.
Now i listen to bands like...
Decapitated, Death, Dream Theater, Tool, Born of Osiris, Necrophagist, ect.

I aspire to guitarists such as John Petrucci, Muhammed Suicmez, ect
I find i dont even listen to music in the ways i did before.
The deeper into musical theory i studyed the deeper I listened to what every instrument is doing seperately yet how they all work together torwards one common goal.
As to before theory i listened to music in a much more simplistic way.

I think your inspirations do a great deal on how you form your music, how to think of it overall, and even afferct the standard you set for yourself.

EDIT: Also my first songs were nirvana and System of a down.
I still listen to nirvana on occasion but pretty rarely.
Last edited by [[BurnTheDusk]] at Nov 16, 2008,
My first songs were Linkin Park songs man. Drop Db tuning and easy bar chords but from that grungy nu metal stuff you learn some other techniques. Harmonics, Octaves, Rhythm... I think I started off on a good foot with that stuff. Later I moved on to some Nirvana and Greenday and the like and ultimately into Metallica, Megadeth and Iron Maiden stuff now.

I'm confident in myself as a guitar player, I've gotten pretty good and theres pretty much nowhere to go but up. My main influence is Randy Rhoads, my goal is to learn all of the songs he wrote by ear... so far I've got I Dont Know, Crazy Train, Goodbye To Romance, Suicide Solution, (Working on Mr Crowley) and Revelation. You've just gotta practice and one day you'll wake up and be able to do some of the stuff you've been working on.
Well nowadays people seem to misunderstand what music was made for. Music was made, to give satisfaction and as much fun as possible to musician(in the first place). There is no such thing, as good songs to play, there is nothing, as things you must learn. If you want to play smells like teen spirit, or American Idiot, go for it, if it gives you satisfaction, thats the best thing you can do .
Quote by KoolBeans

So are the Allman Brothers...

Sorry, TS, but huh?
Quote by irishstang_87
So are the Allman Brothers...

Sorry, TS, but huh?

Maybe he ment it sarcasticly?
I have only been playing for 5 or so months but I have to say when I first heard SRV and BB King was hooked. And I have wanted to learn to play. Granted I have had a guitar since about age 8 and im now soon to be 23 I never played it until the last five months. I learned wipeout and smoke on the water(everyone learned that when they started) but my first whole songs were Turn the Page - Segar, Every Rose - Poison, Amanda - Waylon 'Mother F'n" Jennings, and just a few days ago Metallica's Seek and Destroy. Note the first three were just rythym I know all of Metallica except for the solo.

Like the rest of the people said just play what you want I've learned that way. I don't know shit compared to these people but I have learned a lot by reading these forums and other sources on here. Like I said by influences were SRV and BB King but there are so many others. But watching my buddy shred up his Jackson made me start playing religously.

PS
I can honestly admit I don't know Back in Black but I think I am gonna learn now that i think about it lol.
IF YOUR NOT PLAYING GUITAR WTF ARE YOU DOING WITH YOUR LIFE???
Quote by 4regt4
First song I learned (back in '95) was Polly [Nirvana]. Nothing wrong with starting there, but yeah, Nirvana/Green Day is about as simple as it gets, so if you don't try something harder, you can't really get better.

when your a beginner, nirvana songs off of in utero can actually be pretty hard
Quote by Bloodavian
Its not about the Radio its about talent, the front man has a bigger vocal range than Micheal Jackson and he can sing from heavey metal to high pitched ...No.12 on the top 20 under rated guitarists of ALL TIME...etc

1-Bloodavian 0-Forkman.

^Fail^
Quote by 4regt4

Jeez..you're bringing the whole class down

lmao i laughed at that
Fender Telecaster
Squire Vintage Modified '70s bass
Quote by radomu
My class has many guitarists, and only two of them are actually good.
I am planning to buy my first guitar in a couple of weeks (so ****ing excited), but I noticed that musical influence is VERY important.

All the guys who have been playing at least two years in my school, and suck, generally claim to be fluent in Back in Black by AC/DC.
Is it the de facto beginner's song?

I noticed that all the greatest guitarists, from Hendrix, Page, to Clapton, are heavily influenced by blues.

I admit it, I want my first song to be Breed by Nirvana, not because it's easy, but I just like the riff.

Is this true?

If you are confident in your skills, what music did you get influenced by?

You should focus on honing down your skills in basic music/guitar techniques such as alternate picking, chord switching, understanding chords and notes, major and minor scale, vibrato, hammer on, pull off, and most important of all, keeping time in your first months of playing, much less playing some Nirvana song. I've been playing for 6 months now, I don't really know any songs really because I spend most of my time trying to improvise rather than learn other people's songs. I did try to learn like 3 Tom Petty songs though, and thought they were very easy to learn (made use of chord switching and some simple improvisation in minor and major scale). I have also learned like 2 Nirvana songs, they each took me like 10 minutes, maybe 15 minutes to get down properly (including the palm muting), but if I hadn't spent some time understanding technique and practicing my technique and reading on music basics, I probably would've had a tougher time. Then again it's all about what you really want to accomplish. I can play Back in Black for example and Smoke on the Water (durr), but I don't have solos for both perfectly down, so I don't claim to be able to play them.
my MG15DFX has a button that simulates the sound of one of the expensive tube marshall amps

Fender Stratocaster HSS
LTD EC-400AT
Traynor YCV-50 Blue
Peavey Envoy 110

Wishlist: Hamer USA Explorer, Gibson Explorer
Well the classic rock is generally where lots of people start, if they are on electric. Another thing I noticed that also really bugs me are the people who say Jimi Hendrix is overrated. What makes him "overrated" are the people who think he's overrated but they still play purple haze over and over again, I can bet you most people who say he's overrated haven't listened to more than 5 songs of his. I appreciate what he did for music and it's not all to common people change music like he did nowadays, but he was by far not overrated.
ಠ_ಠ ಠ_ಠ ಠ_ಠ ಠ_ಠ ಠ_ಠ ಠ_ಠ ಠ_ಠ

Quote by Xp3ns1v3
I thought it was illegal for women to use the internet.
Page 1 of 3