Page 1 of 2
This just struck me the other day, maybe its just an ireland thing but..

If someone is on the phone why do they say im "in" the car, yet im "on" the bus?

Wow, this is revolutionary to my world view.
"Loathe metaphors. Pander to undereducated masses. Get doctorate, have a real conversation" Mordin Solus
I have no idea
Ego inflating praise here:
Quote by Fishyesque
That is SOOOOOOOOOOO sig worthy! Pure awesomeness to you, sir.

C wut I did thar Fishy?

's UG
Because you get on a bus dont you. You dont get on a car...

The same way you get in a car, not in a bus
Somethin to do with the size, fact that the bus doesn't belong to you, stuff like that, you can stand up in a bus.
Quote by jimmy_neutron

If someone is on the phone why do they say im "in" the car, yet im "on" the bus?

you walk onto a bus (even if you get a seat later)

you have to sit down into a car.... if you walk into a car... you're probably blind
Quote by sam b
Because you get on a bus dont you. You dont get on a car...

The same way you get in a car, not in a bus

what do you mean you dont get in a bus?

do you sit on the roof or something?
Quote by seljer

you have to sit down into a car.... if you walk into a car... you're probably blind

"Loathe metaphors. Pander to undereducated masses. Get doctorate, have a real conversation" Mordin Solus
It's better than saying "I'm under a bus."
Quote by necrosis1193
John Entwistle once in a while. I had to try to find him when I saw The Who two years ago.

Quote by sticksause
butthose bagpipes sound awesome.
Quote by jimmy_neutron
what do you mean you dont get in a bus?

do you sit on the roof or something?

To get on the bus you lift your leg up and step ON to it. It's pretty self explanatory, really.
Quote by seljer

Or you've got a big ass car.
Like this.
Ego inflating praise here:
Quote by Fishyesque
That is SOOOOOOOOOOO sig worthy! Pure awesomeness to you, sir.

C wut I did thar Fishy?

's UG
Quote by seljer

Selj.. classic xD

But yeah this reason - you enter the bus by walking onto it, you clamber INto a car.
Quote by Pookie6
Yngwi3, You win this whole monstrosity of a thread.

Quote by uk.mace
For the best tingle, use Original Source mint. That shit feels amazing on your balls.

Godfather of The Diezel Mafia
Quote by sam b
To get on the bus you lift your leg up and step ON to it. It's pretty self explanatory, really.

well then if you drive a jeep are you on a jeep?
Hmm....
I don't know
Maybe it has to do with size, but then again, you don't say that you're "on the hummer" In fact, saying that you're "On the bus" is a bit incorrect since you're not really on top of it. (That is, unless you're on one of those tour buses) I guess that's just how people talk.
Quote by jimmy_neutron
well then if you drive a jeep are you on a jeep?

no, because you climb into it. Can you not grasp it or something?
Quote by sam b
no, because you climb into it. Can you not grasp it or something?

but you step in to a bus aswell surely.

Before you step, you're outside.
After you step, you're inside.
Therefore you step in no?
No. You're sitting into it.

You get in the bath.
You got into bed.

You get onto the stage.
Onto the roof (Couldnt think of another example )

EDIT: yeah, you go in the shower, and that's not sitting.

I have no idea...
Quote by sam b
No. You're going straight into a sitting into it.

You get in the bath.
You got into bed.

You get onto the stage.
Onto the roof (Couldnt think of another example )

so if you walk in home, by your logic, you're on the house, not in the house?
Yeah, *see edit*

My logic isnt right...

The words are the way they are because they make sense I suppose, and it depends what context you put them in
Weird...

...why do we press harder on a remote control when we know the battery is weak?
Quote by Josh Shiells
Weird...

...why do we press harder on a remote control when we know the battery is weak?

Because a full battery would mean the sensor only needs to be touched, whereas a weaker battery would mean it wont pick up just a light touch, so pressing harder will make it work.

I could come up with answers to this type of question all day (probably all wrong)
because it increases the chances of the signal from the button being pushed being picked up by the sensors in the remote, as the battery is weak and needs all the help it can get. duh.

More importantly however...

why do we call them socks and stockings, but not stocks?

EDIT:

Quote by sam b
Because a full battery would mean the sensor only needs to be touched, whereas a weaker battery would mean it wont pick up just a light touch, so pressing harder will make it work.

I could come up with answers to this type of question all day (probably all wrong)

Quote by jimmy_neutron
so if you walk in home, by your logic, you're on the house, not in the house?

No, because you're not off the ground like you are when you're on a bus or a train.
Populus vult decipi. Decipiatur.

Quote by Mistress_Ibanez
It's can be a contraction and genitive case.

Quote by Mistress_Ibanez
If you cut down on these costs students won't learn so well, effecting the "quality"...
I think it's to do with riding a bus and driving a car.

'Cause when you ride a bike or skateboard or scooter you have to be on it.

But when you drive a boat/plane/car you have to be in it.

very odd question this one...
This water's dark and coldGod's not where you hopedThis moment come and goneIt's time we all moved on
Quote by FrenchyFungus
No, because you're not off the ground like you are when you're on a bus or a train.

Damn you and your logic
Furthermore, who cares?

Quote by imdeth
This man deserves my +1

+1

Quote by denizenz
Go in peace my son, and teach to the pit dwellers what I have shown unto you.

ಠ_ಠ

XBL: huffy409
Quote by Shredder XXX

I would always say that im on a boat or a plane though
Quote by jimmy_neutron
I would always say that im on a boat or a plane though

That's because when you enter the boat or plane you enter it like you would a bus or tram - standing up, so you venture ON to the boat or plane.
Quote by Pookie6
Yngwi3, You win this whole monstrosity of a thread.

Quote by uk.mace
For the best tingle, use Original Source mint. That shit feels amazing on your balls.

Godfather of The Diezel Mafia
Quote by jimmy_neutron

If you're ON the buss you better watch out for power lines and overpasses...
Quote by Shredder XXX

+1
Thats the English language for you.
My Gear:

Washburn 6 String Bantam Series

Fender Mexican P-Bass

Farida Stratocaster

Peavey TNT115S
It's probably due to the fact that the word "bus" comes from the word "omnibus", and was the name of a large horse-drawn carriage that members of the public were able to climb onto in Victorian Times, much in the same way that we use buses today.

Whereas our Victorian ancestors got "on" the bus, we no longer do so, but we still talk of it as "getting on" the bus.

Make sense?

</thread>
██████████████████████
██████████████████████
██████████████████████
██████████████████████
██████████████████████
██
████████████████████
██
████████████████████
██████████████████████
Quote by Yakult
It's probably due to the fact that the word "bus" comes from the word "omnibus", and was the name of a large horse-drawn carriage that members of the public were able to climb onto in Victorian Times, much in the same way that we use buses today.

Whereas our Victorian ancestors got "on" the bus, we no longer do so, but we still talk of it as "getting on" the bus.

Make sense?

</thread>

Wow. Perfect explanation.

Thread has been won. No more to see here folks.
Quote by alteredstates
If you are rowing down the road in your canoe and your wagon wheel falls off. How many pancakes does it take to make a doghouse?

Green, because a vest has no sleeves.

Can't we all just get a bong?
Think of it this way:

A car is much more intimate than a bus. It's like a woman. You want to be inside of it.

A bus is like a hooker. Everybody uses it, but nobody wants to really be inside of it. You're just on it.
PSN: snakeXdoctor

Quote by OneOfTheseDays
My friends cat smokes, wears a leather jacket and swears at me when i look at it.He is really fat so it makes it even more funny.
There is no egg in eggplant or ham in hamburger; neither apple nor pine in pineapple. English muffins were not invented in England nor french fries in France. Sweetmeats are candies, while sweetbreads, which aren't sweet, are meat. We take English for granted. But if we explore its paradoxes, we find that quicksand can work slowly, boxing rings are square, and a guinea pig is neither from Guinea nor is it a pig. And why is it that writers write, but fingers don't fing, grocers don't groce, and hammers don't ham? If the plural of tooth is teeth, why isn't the plural of booth beeth? One goose, 2 geese. So, one moose, 2 meese? One index, two indices? Is cheese the plural of choose? If teachers taught, why didn't preachers praught? If a vegetarian eats vegetables, what does a humanitarian eat?

In what language do people recite at a play, and play at a recital? Ship by truck and send cargo by ship? Have noses that run and feet that smell? Park on driveways and drive on parkways? How can a slim chance and a fat chance be the same, while a wise man and a wise guy are opposites? How can the weather be hot as hell one day and cold as hell another? When a house burns up, it burns down. You fill in a form by filling it out and an alarm clock goes off by going on. When the stars are out, they are visible, but when the lights are out, they are invisible.

And why, when I wind up my watch, I start it, but when I wind up this answer, I end it?

Something I found a while back.
Page 1 of 2