Some of the best music that I have in my collection was discovered by myself through some varied and unconventional circumstances. Unconventional, in the sense that I didn't simply hear this band/musician on the radio and decided to buy their albums.

How many of you have a strange story behind how you came across a particular artist?

One example that I will give is how I first came across Joe Satriani. It was around a year or two ago and I was watching a Documentary on the apply named Documentary Channel. The Doc. was entitled "Guitar Legends: Through the Electric Age" or something similar. Prior to watching this, I had never even heard of Satriani. The first several guitarists that spoke in the doc. did nothing for me, and when I first saw the long haired(at that time) guitarist in a silk shirt, I did not think too much of him. Then he started to talk...I then found myself being drawn into his words. How strange it seemed to me that this one guitarist embodied almost every thing that I loved about music, and everything that I had believed that music should be. I immediately wanted to go out and get some of his albums and I had not even heard him play yet. I was almost fearing that his words would not fully agree with his playing, soon I learned how false that fear was. It was that moment that Satriani became my hero and my biggest influence, not just with playing my guitar, but how I went about playing it.

The last thing that I expected to get from watching television was a new artist to add to my library, and my discovery of someone like Satriani, was even further from any expectations.

I do have many other stories, some are FAR stranger than this. I know that that story is not actually all that weird, but it is my favorite one.
Equipment:
---Ibanez RG5EX1 & Montage
---DigiTech RP250 & Jamman Stereo
---Stagg S300 (The 'S' is for Sucks)
---Yamaha G-55A

Please view my deviantArt page.
I have some pictures of a few of my guitars.
I sometimes learned that some songs that an artist plays are actually covers...I discovered Lucinda Williams that way.
Quote by icaneatcatfood
On second thought, **** tuning forks. You best be carrying around a grand piano that was tuned by an Italian
I woke up one morning with an intense pain in my sack...

The letters "OPETH" had been carved into it, so naturally I google searched it.

My life changed...
Quote by Lord-O-Donuts
I woke up one morning with an intense pain in my sack...

The letters "OPETH" had been carved into it, so naturally I google searched it.

My life changed...

I'm sorry to hear that....

Alot of the time through covers.
Also by other artists doing guest solos, or recommending something else.

and of course the occasional recommendation you'll get from your friends.
Ibanez s540 with gold Schaller bridge and OMGGOLD hardware

Ibanez RGR320 with Lo-Edge Pro bridge and scalloped fretboard

Lee Jackson XLSC - 500

Roland Microcube

Dunlop Jazz III black
i got into babyshambles/the libertiens becasue we saw a documentary on drugs and religion in RS, and all u here is 'im not the one with the problem, your the one with the problem ahhhhhhhhh' and naturally not giving a toss about RS i shouted out 'who's the bloke who wrote that' and i dont think im the only one who becamse a syd barrett fan becasue i heard wish u were here and wanted to know who theis 'crazy diamond'w was
I find half my bands through youtube comments, s'why i love the arguments.

between the buried and me were found off of the pit, someone was like "best oh shit moments" and posted them playing foam born when a guy screams 'oh shit' at the start, after a while someone had a video linked saying "between the buried and me vs protest the hero"

After a while of that, some comment said "the human abstract are a wannabe protest the hero" and there you go.

same with dillinger escape plan, "it's cool how between the buried and me just sit there, unlike dillinger escape plan, who fling there axes like crazy" or something.

keep up the petty arguments!
in like 98 i heard some dude rapping in the bathroom stall next to me and it turns out it was eminem
signed,
your favorite poster
90% of the time it really is covers.
Quote by icaneatcatfood
On second thought, **** tuning forks. You best be carrying around a grand piano that was tuned by an Italian
Well...

...let me think...

...no, no real stories.
Sorry.

My Dad once pulled over Blink-182 for speeding (he's a police officer).