I've been on several metal-concerts, most recently Children of Bdom/Machine Head/Slipknot, and next sunday I'll be seeing the Unholy Alliance with Slayer and Amon Amarth and more. In magazines like Metalhammer and on the internet, you see that very few musicians use ear plugs. Shouldn't Rob Flynn and those guys be deaf a long time ago? Personally I can barely go to a concert without ear plugs. The only bands I've seen without them are Evile (who are one of the very few bands to play at a resonable level) and In Flames.

So what are the conditions really on stage? Is it all that loud behind the PA system? Bands even use monitors you know...

Thanks
hint: the actual PA system is usually in front of the musicians

the monitors are in front of the musicians and blasting them in their faces
that and big stacks of guitar amps behind them...
It isn't loud at all on stage. I've never had to wear ear plug while performing.

The monitors aren't very loud and the amps don't need to be loud either. Because they mic the amps they don't really need to crank them, the loudest thing on stage by far is the drumkit but again, it isn't THAT loud.

Hope that made sense.

Edit, you'll also find that alot of big bands use in ear monitors.
Last edited by maggot9779 at Nov 16, 2008,
I'd say, they use In-Ear Monitoring, and this is damping the volume a lot. At least mine do that
Gear:
Ibanez SZ320 -> Höfner Analouge Delay -> MXR GT-OD -> Laney GH50L -> T.C.Electronics GMajor -> Line6 4x12 w/ Celestion G12T-75

My Lyrics and Poems

"with golden hair and perfect eyes,

with hollow words and empty lies."
Alright, so it's way louder in the audience than on stage? Thanks, I've been thinking about this for a long time. And also, seljer, the big stacks of amps behind them... are they even used? I thought they only used a few, and then the rest for aesthetics.
Quote by VikingMetalhead
Alright, so it's way louder in the audience than on stage? Thanks, I've been thinking about this for a long time. And also, seljer, the big stacks of amps behind them... are they even used? I thought they only used a few, and then the rest for aesthetics.

You only need a small amp if you plan on micing it. I'm sure they do use a full stack, but it is overkill
Quote by VikingMetalhead

its just to look cool

usually its just one amp hooked up and micd and the others just there as props (even without speakers in them)

same like the drummer from In Flames, he plays using a double bass pedal but puts another bass drum there just so it looks cool
Quote by seljer
its just to look cool

usually its just one amp hooked up and micd and the others just there as props (even without speakers in them)

same like the drummer from In Flames, he plays using a double bass pedal but puts another bass drum there just so it looks cool

Yeah, I know Lars Ulrich also does

Thanks guys
Quote by VikingMetalhead

I know for a fact that Lamb of God has a load of fake cabinets onstage.
Quote by duncang
maybe it's because i secrely agree that tracedin inymballsackistheb best album ever

he's got the fire and the fury,
at his command
well you don't have to worry,
if you hold onto jesus' hand
When i seen parkway drive play, thegot up and tested there amps, and they wern't loud at all, same with the drum kit, the amp was barely audible over the crowd actually, but they would have some kind of reverb from the monitors and PA if they were playing in an enclosed space, but no, i don't think it would be louder than your average practice.