Hello everyone , I'm pretty confused with the whole thing about pedals so here are some of my questions. I see distortion pedals around but I'm of the understanding that the level of distortion is controlled by the dials on the amp? So what's the use of them? To add more distortion?

Another thing , I see some pedals which seem to have a little thing you can step on ( Boss OD-1 ) and some which just have dials for tone , gain etc ( Ibanez Tube King ). Are these two guitar pedals? What's the use of the stomp board( lol )?I tried searching for these information but I couldn't find anything..

Thanks for looking.
Generally you can get much better distortion from a pedal rather than directly from the amplifier.
Quote by JayGuitar94
Generally you can get much better distortion from a pedal rather than directly from the amplifier.

Have you ever tried a good tube amp? I thought not...a good amp has good distortion onboard. Overdrive pedals are used to tighten and spicen up the tone a bit. Distortion pedals are just plain distortion mostly for amps that don't even have Distortion onboard.
Guitars:
-Schecter C-7 Hellraiser
-Ibanez MTM2
Amplifiers and Cabinets:
-Peavey StudioPro
-Randall RH50T Head
-Behringer 4x12 cab
Pedals:
-Ibanez WD-7 Wah
-Boss SD-1
-MXR 10 Band Equalizer

7-String guitars are badass!
Quote by JayGuitar94

...wrong.
Just stop now.

It can either be to add more gain or (more usually) to change the tone/dynamics of the gain.
Quote by Pookie6
Yngwi3, You win this whole monstrosity of a thread.

Quote by uk.mace
For the best tingle, use Original Source mint. That shit feels amazing on your balls.

Godfather of The Diezel Mafia
there are many types of distortion, therefore there are so many pedals for it.
you can go from a mild bluesy overdriven sound, but you may also want a screaming metal sound. those generally don't come out of one amp, nor do they come out of one single pedal.

pedals can add more variety to one's sound.. All pedals (at least all pedals I know) have a button you can step on..
to me pedals are extentions of the amp to create a more personal sound and to eventually create your own custom sound you really like.
Quote by Circle
there are many types of distortion, therefore there are so many pedals for it.
you can go from a mild bluesy overdriven sound, but you may also want a screaming metal sound. those generally don't come out of one amp, nor do they come out of one single pedal.

pedals can add more variety to one's sound.. All pedals (at least all pedals I know) have a button you can step on..
to me pedals are extentions of the amp to create a more personal sound and to eventually create your own custom sound you really like.

This is the correct answer.

There is no 'zomg dist0rtinz are bad u n33d teh t00b apmz to g3t teh toanz'. Distortion pedals have a valid place in guitar playing.
What are the different effects I can get from a pedal? Is there like a pedal where you can stomp on it and change from clean tones to distortion to play in songs which keep changing it's tone? Is there like a video or help to understand the difference between the different effects?
Quote by Johntubb
What are the different effects I can get from a pedal? Is there like a pedal where you can stomp on it and change from clean tones to distortion to play in songs which keep changing it's tone? Is there like a video or help to understand the difference between the different effects?

check out some effects demo's on youtube, you will find out how they work there..

if you want more information on what different effects are and sound like, check wiki/google:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Guitar_effects
Quote by Johntubb

Given you have a decent amp, you would be better off with a footswitch if you just want to switch between clean and distortion.

Overdrives usually go on top of the amp's distortion, although they can have a great tone when run on the clean channel.

Distortion pedals work best with clean-oriented amps that don't have enough distortion, or amps where the distortion just plain sucks, as far as I'm concerned.
gear:
-Ibanez ART 120 (w/EMG 81/85)
-Ibanez RG 1570
-Peavey 6505
-Tube-Town TTC 212V
-ISP Decimator G-String
-Maxon OD-9
-T-rex Fuel tank Junior

Coming soon:
-BBE Sonic Maximizer
-EQ