Has anyone here tried the Line 6 Spider Valve combo's. Any opinions? I want something that will sound good at lower volumes.
I currently have one as a loaner until my Bugera is back from the shop. I had loaned a Traynor Blue, but thought I would try the Spider Valve while I had the chance, just to form my own opinions on it.

While it may be slightly better that it's solid state brother, I still think it's quite digital sounding. I love my gain and distortion and I just found that I couldn't get a distorted channel or setting that I really liked. I loved alot of the delayed solo settings, but I am not much of a shredder so it was kind of lost on me. If anything it made me want to get a delay pedal for my FX loop, as I loved the sound of it so much. But other that the delay I couldn't really ever recomend this amp to anybody, especially with a price tag of 889$ here in town, and that's just for the 1X12!
It really only starts to sound good when you turn it up. I.E. Not the amp for you.

If you want lots of tones, check out the Vox Valvetronix series.
Quote by zgr0826
My culture is worthless and absolutely inferior to the almighty Leaf.

Quote by JustRooster
I incurred the wrath of the Association of White Knights. Specifically the Parent's Basement branch of service.
Look into the line 6 flextones instead if you want a wide variety of sounds. Cheaper than the Spider Valve, better modelling, and will sound good at low volumes (the spider valve sounds best turned up because it's a valve amp).
Ibanez S320 with Dimarzio Fred + Seymour Duncan 59-> Weeping Demon Wah -> Ibanez TS-7 -> Homemade iBoost x3 -> Keeley DS-1 -> Visual Sound H2O -> MXR Ten Band -> Traynor YCV20
LOTS of guitar players around here use the SV and the Vetta's too. They get some pretty good tones out of them. Just isn't MY cup of tea.
The rhythm guitarist in my band plays through a Spider Valve and I love it, but for some reason I still like the Spider III better.
But yeah great amp, it can get a ton of tonal ranges, and I've never bee a fan of tube or valve state amps but it's cool even with me.
The Flextone and Vetta are better though, and the Valve doesn't sound so good at low volumes like you want.
The Spider III sounds straight up amazing at low volumes, but a lot of people do not consider it a worthy amp for some reason that I don't understand.
Quote by frajfraj
The rhythm guitarist in my band plays through a Spider Valve and I love it, but for some reason I still like the Spider III better.
But yeah great amp, it can get a ton of tonal ranges, and I've never bee a fan of tube or valve state amps but it's cool even with me.
The Flextone and Vetta are better though, and the Valve doesn't sound so good at low volumes like you want.
The Spider III sounds straight up amazing at low volumes, but a lot of people do not consider it a worthy amp for some reason that I don't understand.

You really don't? That's surprising, there's a squillion threads about why they're a waste of money.
Quote by zgr0826

Quote by JustRooster
I incurred the wrath of the Association of White Knights. Specifically the Parent's Basement branch of service.
Quote by H4T3BR33D3R
squillion

Oh wow.

And yeah, the Spider Valve is a marketing gimmick by Line 6. You'd be better off buying a true tube or digital amp rather than the bastard child of them both for that much money.
Quote by DeathByDestroyr
What the hell is a G&L.

Quote by Flux'D
Gay & Lesbian I think, the box smelled funny
Greg what did you send me??
Quote by Raijouta

Oh wow.

And yeah, the Spider Valve is a marketing gimmick by Line 6. You'd be better off buying a true tube or digital amp rather than the bastard child of them both for that much money.

What? I lost track after that 'lets flood GG&A with Spider III threads' week.
Quote by zgr0826

Quote by JustRooster
the problem with the spider valve is people make up uninformed nonsense about them having the same modelling as the spider III so you get people saying "it sounds exactly like a spider III at low volume" and stuff. the only thing it has in common with the spider III is the name and the controls, and it doesn't even have a "low volume" setting, really - theres just a tiny space between nothing at all and too much, on the master volume control, which is bedroom volumes, but its so precise it's quite difficult to get the volume where you need it - alternatively there's the channel volume, but if you use that you basically get patch changes that explode in your face as is typical with line 6.

my advice would be don't get the spider valve for lower volume - either Vox valvetronix or line 6 Flextone would do a better job.
I like analogue Solid State amps that make no effort to be "tube-like", and I'm proud of it...

...A little too proud, to be honest.
They're okay, but only if you turn them up. The sound isn't super impressive at very low volumes. On the other hand, the volume WILL peel your lips over your head if you're not careful. The volume jump from 1 to 3 is tremendous. I also think the Vox Valvetronics or Flextone series are better for you.
Quote by H4T3BR33D3R
You really don't? That's surprising, there's a squillion threads about why they're a waste of money.

i've seen the word squillion like 3 times in the last half hour and all three times you were involved lol

07 Fender American Deluxe Strat
07 Fender Custom Telecaster
09 Seymour Duncan Pickup Booster
09 Fulltone OCD V.4
10 Ibanez WH-10 V.2
09 Splawn SuperStock
10 Jet City JCA-20
97 Fender Hot Rod Deluxe

Yeh the SICK! bit sounds a bit stupid.

Quote by timzee117
i've seen the word squillion like 3 times in the last half hour and all three times you were involved lol

I know!

It's spreading like the plague.
Quote by zgr0826

Quote by JustRooster
havent tried one personally, but ive heard mainly negative opinions about it
Quote by mr.happyman
so she took off my pants and was gonna give me dome (head). fukk yeah, free dome (head) (i'm used to hiring prostitutes).as she inched her head closer to my pen0r, she pulled her hand outta nowhere and sandpapered my mini mr.happyman!
I've tried it a couple of times and I was not impressed with the low volume tones. Keep in mind that is it a full tube amp, both tube preamp and poweramp. If you want a modeling amp for low volumes look for a used Vetta II. You can sometimes find them for under $1000 depending on where you live.
http://groups.ultimat e-guitar.com/aa08s/

Squint your eyes to see clearly. Blur reality to make it real.

Quote by Magic Jim
"Jimmy! Eat your peas!"
"It's not illegal if I don't"
"k, koo"

Imagine if life was like that.

Awesome
I tried one at Guitar Center, even at low volumes they suck. They just sound too digital. However, I have to admit, they're much better than the SS combos.
I found they are actually quite good...

The only thing I could complain about is the effect parameters being VERY LIMITED, and that when turned up to tube breakup, the compressed digital sound is not desirable (to my ears, at least).

But, the SV is much more organic, less digital, and has much better tone than the SS version. I'd get one, but I'd rather not be THAT limited in controls of effects.

It's not bad for bedroom levels, just not nominal.
Quote by A Bad Guitarist
I tried one at Guitar Center, even at low volumes they suck. They just sound too digital. However, I have to admit, they're much better than the SS combos.

no duh genius its a tube amp
Quote by A Bad Guitarist

the impression i get from that post is that you only tried them at low volumes, then refused to like what you heard because "itz line 6 so it sux cus line 6 is digital lol".
I like analogue Solid State amps that make no effort to be "tube-like", and I'm proud of it...

Quote by Blompcube
the impression i get from that post is that you only tried them at low volumes, then refused to like what you heard because "itz line 6 so it sux cus line 6 is digital lol".

Or he's never played one.
Quote by zgr0826

Quote by JustRooster
Quote by H4T3BR33D3R
Or he's never played one.

yeah, or that