I am absolutely positive this has been done before, but please help me out anyways.

My birthday is coming up and I want to get at least one effect pedal, seeing as I have none. What would some of you more experienced pedal users out there recommend for me? I play a lot of rock/metal with a Gibson SG through a Line 6 Spider III, if that's at all relevant.

Please don't tell me to buy a new amp because that was my original idea but my folks won't allow it.

Much appreciated!
Save your money. Pedals through Spiders are useless and don't sound too good either.
Quote by zgr0826
My culture is worthless and absolutely inferior to the almighty Leaf.

Quote by JustRooster
I incurred the wrath of the Association of White Knights. Specifically the Parent's Basement branch of service.
Quote by domino_92
Gibson SG through a Line 6 Spider III

Why would you play such an expensive guitar through such a cheap amp?!

Put the money for the pedal towards a new amp. If you like the whole digital modelling deal perhaps look at a Line 6 Flextone.
Quote by DeathByDestroyr
What the hell is a G&L.

Quote by Flux'D
Gay & Lesbian I think, the box smelled funny
Greg what did you send me??
Quote by H4T3BR33D3R
Save your money. Pedals through Spiders are useless and don't sound too good either.

+ a squillion

yes, i read that other thread.
Ibanez S320 with Dimarzio Fred + Seymour Duncan 59-> Weeping Demon Wah -> Ibanez TS-7 -> Homemade iBoost x3 -> Keeley DS-1 -> Visual Sound H2O -> MXR Ten Band -> Traynor YCV20
Quote by Robino_Ibanez
+ a squillion

yes, i read that other thread.

What have I started?
Quote by zgr0826

Quote by JustRooster
I incurred the wrath of the Association of White Knights. Specifically the Parent's Basement branch of service.
what genres of music do you play?
if possible maybe you can get money for your birthday to contribute to a new amp.
Ibanez S320 with Dimarzio Fred + Seymour Duncan 59-> Weeping Demon Wah -> Ibanez TS-7 -> Homemade iBoost x3 -> Keeley DS-1 -> Visual Sound H2O -> MXR Ten Band -> Traynor YCV20
Quote by domino_92
Okay then, for argument's sake...what amps would you recommend then?

Depends on your pseudo-budget.
Quote by zgr0826

Quote by JustRooster
Quote by Robino_Ibanez
what genres of music do you play?
if possible maybe you can get money for your birthday to contribute to a new amp.

Rock and metal mostly
Quote by domino_92
About 1,500 NOK which is about $250...so not much, and everything is expensive over here in Norway.

That's a very limited budget. You should save up more.

I'd recommend a Laney VC/LC 15 if you don't want to stretch the budget too far.

Maybe a Valveking but I doubt they're cheap over there.
Quote by zgr0826

Quote by JustRooster
Just wait and save your money. If you don't put effects like delay, and chorus through an fx loop (which your Spider III doesn't have), it'll sound like crap over anything but a clean sound. Also, distortion and overdrive pedals sound kind of bad through your very digital sounding amp. Wah pedals aren't so bad, but at this stage in the game they are a waste of money. The only decent amps for rock and metal stuff are kind of up there so just save your money.
Quote by H4T3BR33D3R

Even more useless if you don't know what pedal you like

You buy a pedal because you want the sound it produces, You do not buy a pedal because you don't have one.
Quote by WtrPlyr
You do not buy a pedal because you don't have one.

what.
Quote by WtrPlyr
You do not buy a pedal because you don't have one.

Maybe you don't...

TS, there are lots of pedals you could get that will carry over to the next amp you get.
Maybe a wah pedal, or how about a delay? Those are very useful for solos and stuff. Or maybe something like a tuner, etc.
IF your parents aren't letting you buy an amp, ask for money for christmas. Than eventually get enough money and buy an amp yourself and than they can't do anything because you'll be like I USED MY MONEY so its NYOB!

Save for a VC15 and grab an overdrive.
Quote by WtrPlyr
I mean it's a stupid reason to buy a pedal. I don't have a moped buy I'm not buying one just because a lot of people use mopeds. My bike is good enough

I'm not buying a pedal for the sake of buying a pedal, genius. If I was I wouldn't make a thread asking for recommendations on pedals, I'd just go out and buy one.
Quote by domino_92
I'm not buying a pedal for the sake of buying a pedal, genius. If I was I wouldn't make a thread asking for recommendations on pedals, I'd just go out and buy one.

Then why do you want us to recommend something? Because you are looking for a specific sound/tone/effect? If so, you never stated what kind of sound/tone/effect you are looking for. Now you're question is very superficial. We could recommend any pedal we like.

I like my Phase 90, I could recommend that, but I also like my tremolo, and an OD is cool, a delay, reverb.. But they're all completely different in terms of sound.
Visual Sound H20. I'm gonna get one soon, hopefully
Then there's this band called Slice The Cake...

Bunch of faggots putting random riffs together and calling it "progressive" deathcore.
Stupid name.
Probably picked "for teh lulz"

Mod in UG's Official Gain Whores
Quote by WtrPlyr
Then why do you want us to recommend something? Because you are looking for a specific sound/tone/effect? If so, you never stated what kind of sound/tone/effect you are looking for. Now you're question is very superficial. We could recommend any pedal we like.

I like my Phase 90, I could recommend that, but I also like my tremolo, and an OD is cool, a delay, reverb.. But they're all completely different in terms of sound.

Fair point. I'm looking for something to help with transitions between cleaner riffs to heavier riffs or possibly a loop effect.
Now we're talking. Does your amp has the ability to use a foot switch? If so you can by that and switch between the clean channel and the dirty channel. It would be nicer than a distortionpedal because they interfere with the effects on your amp.

With loop effect do you mean a looper or a delay?
Quote by WtrPlyr
Now we're talking. Does your amp has the ability to use a foot switch? If so you can by that and switch between the clean channel and the dirty channel. It would be nicer than a distortionpedal because they interfere with the effects on your amp.

With loop effect do you mean a looper or a delay?

Unfortunately, my amp isn't foot switch compatible so I can't switch between clean and distorted like that, and by loop a looper.
You could get a Vypyr 30 for $200 USD. Not sure what it costs there. It has a built in looper (30 sec I think) and you can add the footswitch later when it comes out. That's closer to your budget than anything else I can think of. If you get a tube amp you won't have anything left to buy pedals.