Quote by Prisoner5
Is there any reason not to put 2 pickups close together? I've been working on a design with a humbucker-single-humbucer configuration and I was wondering if spacing is at all important.

spacing dosent matter at all
Quote by Deliriumbassist
Antisocial Behaviour Order. A chav's equivalent of GCSEs.
1) Steve Morse is a god
2) His guitars look awesome!
Gear:
ESP LTD EC-401FM STB
Ibanez AR307
Bugera Infinium 333XL
London City Bulldog
Line 6 Pod HD 300
Digitech Digiverb
Wishlist:
Pedalboard
Quote by Prisoner5
Is there any reason not to put 2 pickups close together? I've been working on a design with a humbucker-single-humbucer configuration and I was wondering if spacing is at all important.
YES.

if the two pickups are close together, the signal will be very similar.
it will sound much different than 2 pickups with a wide spacing.

if having 2 pickups that are sensing the string at similar positions gets you the sound you want, fine, do it. but you get what you get, ya know.
Meadows
Quote by Jackal58
I release my inner liberal every morning when I take a shit.
Quote by SK8RDUDE411
I wont be like those jerks who dedicate their beliefs to logic and reaosn.
Quote by Plaeghdraeger
1) Steve Morse is a god
2) His guitars look awesome!

Basically the whole guitar is fine, I just don't like the shape.
Seems too weird to me.
Thank you all, especially Someneyouknow. And I agree it is pretty ugly, especially in that purple color.And as mentioned, I want a hum-singlie-hum arrangement, so the close ones would be the single and humbucker, so I was just wondering if the magnetic fields could interfere.
Quote by SomeoneYouKnew
YES.

if having 2 pickups that are sensing the string at similar positions gets you the sound you want, fine, do it. but you get what you get, ya know.

+1
Quote by SomeoneYouKnew
YES.

+2

Forgot to mention that.
That's why the pickups are spread out the way they are, TS. Different response at a different place.
Basically what SYK said. The further apart they are, the more varation in you tone.
Steve Morse's sig guitars are awesome. ESPECIALLY in that purple burst (Deep Purple Burst the site calls it. Puntastic.)
Anyway.

Steve Morse is a master of getting a diverse range of sounds using just his pickup selector. So, the spacing must be doing something for him.

Just try different things. Try a HSS strat in position 4, then see if you can find a HxS guitar and play in position 2, and see what you prefer.
all pickups sound different in all positions, so like SYK said the closer your pickups the more simularity in tone