Ive been playing my ibanez acoustic for about a year, but i never bothered to learn all the small details of guitars. These are my questions:

1) What is action?

2) How come when I try to fingertap like andy mckee on my guitar, i can barely hear it?

3) Does a higher gauge of string make it sound darker or brighter?

4) Im pretty sure this is only my guitar, but when i push down on each string on the 13th fret and pick it, it buzzes. How do I fix that?

5) What is the diff between phosphor bronze strings and bronze?

6) Is there any disadvantage to a cutaway?

Sorry, i know theres a lot but ur time is very much appreciated
1. Action is how the neck, bride, and nut are set to dictate how high your strings are off of the fretboard. Lower is typically better but some people prefer higher action for blues, bluegrass and such.

2. Tapping is a long learned skill on an acoustic. You have to find a sweet spot between tapping hard enough to hear yourself and not killing your fingers in the process. Also action has a great deal to do with how easy or hard it is to tap well.

3. Depends on what strings you are using. They do make it louder but are a little harder to play.

4. It's not just yours. If it is just on on fret it probably means one of the frets past the 13th need to be filed a bit. Take it to your local guitar shop and let then check it out.

5. Phos have a little brighter sound. I prefer them. They also seem to last longer for me.

6. The only disadvantage is styling if you don't like them. The difference in the sound is barely if at all audible. I like being able to reach the higher frets.

Have fun man!
well, don't quite understand some of your questions but I can asnwer on those I know and understand if I am correct, which I hope I am:

2, it maybe works better if you connect a half-acoustic guitar or something into an amp and use an effect pedal with some high tones or anything. (Not sure about this one though)

3, usually brighter the higher it is, or thinner

4, try fretpolish the 13th fret, leav it to a guitarhealer and he will fix it pretty cheap, even if it's not because of some fretpolishing.
Quote by musical_rice
Ive been playing my ibanez acoustic for about a year, but i never bothered to learn all the small details of guitars. These are my questions:

1) What is action? Mainly the height of the strings & how easy they are to press on/bend.

2) How come when I try to fingertap like andy mckee on my guitar, i can barely hear it? You need more practice, it's harder on an accoustic than an electric

3) Does a higher gauge of string make it sound darker or brighter? Neither, heavier strings means more output & more overall tone, not necessarily brighter or darker. Your guitar itself and string composition (bronze, nickel etc affect this more)

4) Im pretty sure this is only my guitar, but when i push down on each string on the 13th fret and pick it, it buzzes. How do I fix that? Your action could be too low (raise bridge), you may have too much relief in your neck (truss rod) or the neck angle may not be correct (very bad)

5) What is the diff between phosphor bronze strings and bronze? This is an answer to your question three.
6) Is there any disadvantage to a cutaway? Yes & No - maybe sound is affected but better access to upper frets

Sorry, i know theres a lot but ur time is very much appreciated

This is my opinion only of course
Moving on.....