Page 1 of 2
He'll be gigging with it too...And he has enough money for one of the stacks, 100 watts. Idk how much those cost...what can I say to convince him otherwise?
Ask him if he has done any actual research on the amplifier
Tell him there are amplifiers with better quality components
Tell him these are very prone to breaking
Tell him that they are not really marshalls as they are re-branded Park amplifiers
Tell him that he could get a very good tube amplifier for a similiar price.

Send him to UG if that doesn't work.
Let him buy it.

That way, when you jam at band practice and he can't keep up in the mix, he'll realize you were right and proceed to jump off a cliff.
Quote by zgr0826
My culture is worthless and absolutely inferior to the almighty Leaf.

Quote by JustRooster
I incurred the wrath of the Association of White Knights. Specifically the Parent's Basement branch of service.
Tell him to visit GG&A.
Call me Wes.
Gear:
Fender American Deluxe HSS Strat
Chicago Blues Box Roadhouse
Bad Cat Cougar 5
1957 Gibson GA-5
Ceriatone 18w TMB Combo
Hughes & Kettner Tube Factor
Various Ibanez TS9s
Weber MASS Attenuator
Tell him to test ALL the amplifiers in his price range first.

Epiphone Les Paul Standard w/ SD Alnico Pro II's
Fender Aerodyne Telecaster & Stratocaster
Marshall JCM 800 4104 combo

E-Married to Funny_Page
Make sure he buys it from a place he can return it to. Let him get it, realize it's awful, and help him return it.
I'll probably just tell him the stuff highway to hell said, tell him his old Roland Cube was better, and tell him that my old 5 watter (tube) is way better than those and i still need a new amp. and then i'll show him some things. and it turns out he wants a 15 watt Zakk Wylde microstack.
give him a history lesson. show him what UG has done to people who have gone down that path before him.
Quote by SaulnierE
I'll probably just tell him the stuff highway to hell said, tell him his old Roland Cube was better, and tell him that my old 5 watter (tube) is way better than those and i still need a new amp. and then i'll show him some things. and it turns out he wants a 15 watt Zakk Wylde microstack.

I'm guessing he wants CRUSHING overdrive.

It doesn't matter, just let him get the amp. If he doesn't get that, he'll just go find another shiny cheap half stack and blow his money on that. At least the MG can sound somewhat decent with a good cabinet.

Quote by nightraven
bad idea
he'll either be arrogant and argue his tone is godly, or too stupid to realise how poor it sounds so in the end you'll be the one suffering from an MG if this kiddo gets one and you won't get to see him pissed off

You know what, you're absolutely right.

I know a few people like that.
Quote by zgr0826

Quote by JustRooster
I incurred the wrath of the Association of White Knights. Specifically the Parent's Basement branch of service.
just get him to play as many amps as you can...............hopefully he can hear the difference.
Yeah. He refuses to buy used too, I told him about a Classic 30 and how cheap they are used and he's like no way. And he says he'd rather have a new JVM than he would a used JCM 800 or Plexi. But anyways, anything else, or should i just let him buy it?
Quote by SaulnierE
Yeah. He refuses to buy used too, I told him about a Classic 30 and how cheap they are used and he's like no way. And he says he'd rather have a new JVM than he would a used JCM 800 or Plexi. But anyways, anything else, or should i just let him buy it?

You're friend's an idiot. Buying new = lose money.
Quote by zgr0826

Quote by JustRooster
I know hes an idiot, but he's my friend and i don't want him to do something stupid. i mean if i could convince him to get a valveking even, that would do.
He's a Marshall fan boy then?

He sounds ignorant to other amp manufacturers, what type of music does your band play?
Maybe GG&A can help him out.

E-Married to Funny_Page
Rhythm in Jump. Dancing Close to You.

Quote by element4433
Yeah. people, like Lemoninfluence, are hypocrites and should have all their opinions invalidated from here on out.
Let him buy it. There probably isnt much your going to be able ot do to convince him of the errors in his thinking. He sees marshall, low price and half stack. So thats what hes gonna get. Yea he will spend endless amounts of time trying to get a good tone out it. In time maybe he will understand he screwed up but theres an even chance he wont. I know to guitarists in a band who have been fighting with a hartke halfstack and a line6 halfstack for months. The more they mess with em the worse they sound. But they wont listen to anything anybody else says.
We do classic and hard rock, stuff ranging from Hendrix to Van Halen. We play a lot of Gn'R and a lot of AC/DC though. I'm probably getting a JTM 30 or JCM 900, maybe a Peavey Classic 30. I told him about those and he was like...whatever.
Quote by SaulnierE
We do classic and hard rock, stuff ranging from Hendrix to Van Halen. We play a lot of Gn'R and a lot of AC/DC though. I'm probably getting a JTM 30 or JCM 900, maybe a Peavey Classic 30. I told him about those and he was like...whatever.

has he personally listened to a MG?

He knows nothing about tube and solid state?
Peavey XXX combo *upgraded screen resistors, Tung-Sol's, and 6L6's*
Schecter Syn Std. * modded, scalloped, and worn*
Schecter C-1 Elite *still sexy*
Ibanez AEL 12-string

"He who sticks his dick in peanut butter is fucking nuts"
Last edited by bjovi400 at Nov 16, 2008,
Quote by SaulnierE

I'd suggest a jcm800, but you'd need an attenuator for everything, unless you are playing Wembley Stadium of course!

I'd personally suggest an Orange Tiny Terror Halfstack/combo, they are amazing amps for the type of music you play, I tried one out and fell in love with it!

E-Married to Funny_Page
he's getting it at GC today. and i want a JCM 800 but i only have 400 so that means no orange. and no i doubt he knows the diff between the two, he's heard me mention it i know. and i doubt he listened to an MG
Well, go with him and have him try everything there.
Also tell him about MG's breaking all the time.
Call me Wes.
Gear:
Bad Cat Cougar 5
1957 Gibson GA-5
Ceriatone 18w TMB Combo
Various Ibanez TS9s
Weber MASS Attenuator
tell him that the latest shipment of MGs had super-aids and he'll be at a high risk of getting super-aids if he buys one, so he'd be better off with a used tube combo.
I like analogue Solid State amps that make no effort to be "tube-like", and I'm proud of it...

...A little too proud, to be honest.
Ask if you can go with him, just for a look around and for a second opinion.

It's a really good excuse, it's how I prevented my brother getting a Spider 3 75w!

E-Married to Funny_Page
I'm going with him, just wanted to be able to go, hey you know there not even marshalls, they're park brand amps with the marshall name on them and stuff like that
Yeah, tell him that they're just rebranded parks.
That would be your best bet, but remember to tell him that they die really quickly.
Call me Wes.
Gear:
Bad Cat Cougar 5
1957 Gibson GA-5
Ceriatone 18w TMB Combo
Various Ibanez TS9s
Weber MASS Attenuator
i will. and i think i have a chance, he just told me he had 500 and that theres nothing tube, over 15 watts for that price. i'll just re-educate him and give him a valveking or windsor or something
Quote by H4T3BR33D3R
Let him buy it.

That way, when you jam at band practice and he can't keep up in the mix, he'll realize you were right and proceed to jump off a cliff.

This.
He got a 100 watt Spider III Half stack, not one of the solid state ones. atleast it sounds better than the MG
You mean a spider valve?
Eh, he still could have done better.
Call me Wes.
Gear:
Bad Cat Cougar 5
1957 Gibson GA-5
Ceriatone 18w TMB Combo
Various Ibanez TS9s
Weber MASS Attenuator
Quote by SaulnierE
He got a 100 watt Spider III Half stack, not one of the solid state ones. atleast it sounds better than the MG

Wait... he was going to spend ~$600 on a MG then ended up with a ~$1500 Spider Valve? Wow... Just... Wow...
Quote by sargasm
There are no genres in metal that end with "core."
I played one of those Spider Valves, it wasn't bad but I didn't like the distortion, it didn't have enough bottom end.
Quote by SaulnierE

Quote by Highwaytohell
He said spider III
Pray for his soul.

... These are conflicting.
Quote by sargasm
The TS's post is conflicting since all Spider IIIs are solid state, the only tube amp that I know of that Line 6 sells is the Spider Valve, which isn't that great either, nor is it in the range the TS's friend was looking at.
I don't give a shit if you listen to me or not
Quote by Kevin Saale
The TS's post is conflicting since all Spider IIIs are solid state, the only tube amp that I know of that Line 6 sells is the Spider Valve, which isn't that great either, nor is it in the range the TS's friend was looking at.

Get out of my head you...
Quote by sargasm
Meh, the Spider Valve is OK (kinda), but definatly not worth it.
Gibson SG Standard
Gibson Les Paul Traditional
Cort Explorer
Squire Standard Strat rebuilt with Fender USA parts
Squire Tele
Krank 1980
Orange Tiny Terror
Traynor YCV 50 Blue
Peavey Vypyr 75

Will fly for food. Call me Dylan
The only time I tried to play one nothing would come out of it... everything was plugged in but I couldn't get a damn thing to make a sound lol.
Quote by sargasm
Kill him.... its the only solution..... I have had experience with this myself....
I've bought, sold, and traded more gear than I care to admit.
Page 1 of 2