Page 1 of 2
? because i can get a 1998 mexican strat for 300$ and a new American one for 900, is a new american one worth 600$ more?
Last edited by Fujita at Nov 16, 2008,
Yes, they are, but no, they're not worth $600 more to me. Then again, i compulsively modify everything i own, so I bought my mexi strat as a project guitar. Stock, though, it still sounds great. I'd buy the mexi strat and spend the $600 on a good tube amp, like a Vox AC15.
yea buy a strat and u can always mod it thats wat i did with mine.....and then you have a few hundred dollars and you can buy effects,amps,watever
Quote by irishstang_87
Yes, they are, but no, they're not worth $600 more to me. Then again, i compulsively modify everything i own, so I bought my mexi strat as a project guitar. Stock, though, it still sounds great. I'd buy the mexi strat and spend the $600 on a good tube amp, like a Vox AC15.

+1 MIA > MIM
+1 They sound good.
+1 Spend money on tube amp.
+1 I love Nicole too.
Quote by lizarday
oh yeah? well larry king the slayer guitarist owns bc rich guitars. (i think)
Quote by Green_Jelly
+1 MIA > MIM
+1 They sound good.
+1 Spend money on tube amp.
+1 I love Nicole too.

haha

I'm literally laughing my ass off right now

300 dollars for a 10 year old strat? A new mexican one is 399. Since the recent upgrade, they're made of better wood, with better hardware, hotter pickups and a rounder neck than the ones in the early 00's. I dunno if those were "downgraded" from the 90's ones, though.
Quote by sashki
300 dollars for a 10 year old strat? A new mexican one is 399. Since the recent upgrade, they're made of better wood, with better hardware, hotter pickups and a rounder neck than the ones in the early 00's. I dunno if those were "downgraded" from the 90's ones, though.

Yeah but because it's new it doesnt mean it sounds better...

Why'd you think strats from '64 Are way more priced ?
Because they usually just sound warmer/nicer they have that vintage sound.

Now ten years is not really vintage but still it's wood has prolly got a better sound right now.
ALL HAIL HYPNOTOAD

Quote by MetalMessiah665
Dude, I think I would know, Trivium invented Thrash, Metallica are lucky they got as far as they did piggy-backing off of Trivium's signature style.
That's a pretty guitar, I'd make a bid on it. But just to give you some options, the '08 MIM's go for $399 new, and I bought mine for $360, with tax, after some haggling.
If you're looking to spend that kind of dough, look into a 72 Tele' thinline. It's between the price range of what you're looking for and far better than any strat that you could get.
Quote by John5rules125
If you're looking to spend that kind of dough, look into a 72 Tele' thinline. It's between the price range of what you're looking for and far better than any strat that you could get.

Tbh I hated that thing, so I'd go with a strat over it, so I'd say that your completely wrong there, and as he's deciding between two strats, this man probably wants a strat. Funny how opinions work, eh?

Anyway, I'd get the 98'; 1993-2004 MIM strats have hotter pickups to suit the higher gain of alt. rock, grunge and what remained of hair metal. This ended in 2004 as a cost-cutting measure, but until then they left them on just to not have to rework more than pickups to keep a reputation. Plus with that $600 you can get yourself a nice amp.
THE FORUM UPDATE KILLED THE GRADIENT STAR

Baltimore Orioles: 2014 AL Eastern Division Champions, 2017: 50-54
Baltimore Ravens: 2012 World Champions, 2017: 0-0
2017 NFL Pick 'Em: 0-0
And imo i'm not too much a fan of strats. When i was looking at 1, I looked at the Thinline and i loved it.

But again IMO.

If anything though, get a MIM strat. Didn't see 2 much of a diff with a MIA strat except maybe the pickups.
Exactly. All I'm saying though is if he's looking at two guitars from the same brand he's probably done some research and comparisons an prefers a strat over a tele is all. Apologies if I came off as a jackass, I do that a lot in real life...

And exactly. If you really don't like the 90's pickups, you can take $180 out of the $600 and get a set of Custom Shop pickups that'll whip the American Stanard's ass.

If you get custom shop pickups, or something like that, look at EMG single coils and Seymour Duncan.
wait whats the difference between a Telecaster and a Strat..lol
TBH, dunno about a reg telecaster. I know it has 2 pickups compared to 3 on a strat, but the 72 thinline's got 2 wide range humbuckers and it's semi-hollow.
Quote by Fujita
wait whats the difference between a Telecaster and a Strat..lol

Besides the looks, a tele is less versatile, and has a more twangy sound than a strat. Tele's are used a lot in country music. They're good guitars, I just prefer strats for their versatility.
oh ok i dont really like country music..i wanna play the blues..lol
yeah can you like show us which ones you are talking about?

because not all american strats are 900 and there are so many different models. so which one is it?
Some tele's are much more versatile than strats. Tee's are also used in punk, alt, and in the case of John 5, metal.
Quote by John5rules125
Some tele's are much more versatile than strats. Tee's are also used in punk, alt, and in the case of John 5, metal.

+1 btw tele are also great for playing blues.So if your into a good blues guitar you should also check a tele.
Ibanez RGA 8 (Dimarzio D Activator 8)->Rocktron Hush->Engl E530 preamp->Marshall 9200 poweramp->Marshall 4x12 closed back cab w/ G12t75's
^I'm not even going to begin listing the amount of blues that's been played on a strat overtime.

Quote by John5rules125

Well, to be fair, at the same time, Billie Joe Armstong(Green Day, punk/alt) and Tom Delogne(Blink-182, punk), Kurt Cobain(Nirvana, alt/grunge), Billy Corgan(Smashing Pumpkins, alt), all of Iron Maiden's guitarists(metal) and Yngwie(metal, albeit more shred than metal) fill those genres for the strat. Comparing a strat to a tele is like comparing a Prius to a Convertible. Their each designed in different times for different things, you can sort of compare them, but you can't really call one better than the other or more versatile than the other. It's almost as bad as comparing a les paul to a strat.

Last edited by necrosis1193 at Nov 16, 2008,
Quote by necrosis1193
Well, to be fair, at the same time, Billie Joe Armstong(Green Day, punk/alt) and Tom Delogne(Blink-182, punk), Kurt Cobain(Nirvana, alt/grunge), Billy Corgan(Smashing Pumpkins, alt), all of Iron Maiden's guitarists(metal) and Yngwie(metal, albeit more shred than metal) fill those genres for the strat. Comparing a strat to a tele is like comparing a Prius to a Convertible. Their each designed in different times for different things, you can sort of compare them, but you can't really call one better than the other or more versatile than the other.

True. I meant that strats are generally used as multi-genre guitars. But when john5rules says that teles are used in metal, those aren't stock telecasters. Brand new, with no modifications, i believe that the strat is the more versatile of the two. You guys are right, though, telecasters are almost as versatile, and have been used in about every genre.
Quote by Fujita
oh ok i dont really like country music..i wanna play the blues..lol

Tele is awesome at Blues, and Rock, basically anything but metal
@John5rules125; Well, on-topic, he's asking whether he should get a Mexican strat or an American. The general consensus seems to be Mexican, but people began suggesting different guitars, which has snowballed to the tele-strat debacle every Fender player argues over.

@Irishtang_87; Ah. Fair enough then, apologies for somewhat misunderstanding.

@Eurotrashed; True, though again, with a Fender you can't really go too wrong with anything for blues.

Quote by eurotrashed

+1, the tele is a good blues and classic rock guitar

TS, your tone mostly depends on your amp, to be honest. It basically comes down to which guitar fits you personally.
Quote by eurotrashed

Tele's play metal pretty well, listen to John-5 and then edit your post
Quote by John5rules125
Tele's play metal pretty well, listen to John-5 and then edit your post

Not stock, they don't.
My tele thinline is a beast at metal.

Ok.....certain types of teles are great at metal while others, not so much.

Agreed?
Quote by John5rules125
My tele thinline is a beast at metal.

Ok.....certain types of teles are great at metal while others, not so much.

Agreed?

Agreed.

And you're right, thinline telecasters are great. I'm more of a strat guy, but that's a sexy guitar.
It depends on the model. A Classic Series/Deluxe series strat will be on par with Americans. But an American Standard, compared to a Mexican Standard, is made of a higher quality of wood, higher quality of electronics, a better bridge, better tuners and, basically, everything is 5x better, not mention how it will last you a lifetime and a half.

MIM Standards will be decent after you mod them, but that costs a bit, and if you don't have the equipment or are scared you're gonna break it, then it will cost you as much as a MIA Strat. An American would be better in the long run, in my opinion.
Cam Sampbell's my hero
i think imma stick with the strat..i did more research on them..
If u want to shell out like an extra 100-200, get the players choice 1 i think its called, or the deluxe. Yeah, that's wut it's called. Its got a black pickguard. I liked it a good amount more than a reg MIM strat.
Quote by John5rules125
If u want to shell out like an extra 100-200, get the players choice 1 i think its called, or the deluxe. Yeah, that's wut it's called. Its got a black pickguard. I liked it a good amount more than a reg MIM strat.

Agreed. Those noiseless pickups even beat American Standards IMO, and it has that button for the sixth and seventh positions on the pickups.

Page 1 of 2