So, I've been looking into getting some new software for recording and stuff, and I've been looking at pro tools, but I don't know what kind to get. On their site it says there is the M-powered, LE, and HD. Can someone tell me what the difference between these three are, and which would be the most practical to use?
it really depends on your budget. just right off the bat i can tell you that getting the hd would be completly impractical. in order to really get the best out of it, youd need to purchase a really good digidesign interface which would end up costing you somewhere between 1400-2000 dollars. with any other interface, you just arent going to get enough track space or driver memory. if your on a rather small budget and you dont really record complicated music, the m powered is probably for you. i use the le, just because my music is a little more complicated but even though there isnt a massive amount of track space on my interface, i can still compensate with the preroll technique. if you want more info on this, just pm me..its a little too complicated to explain on a thread..
HD is a professional system that runs off of its own hardware. It usually runs you at least a couple grand.

LE is still very nice. Its just a more cost effective version IMO.

And I don't know what M-powered is exactly....maybe the version that comes in the Mbox packages?

Everything about Pro-tools (Digidesign) is just...expensive. It is the "industry standard", but just because its been around for so long. Personally I think Ableton and Logic are better.
Quote by jackbauer
playing by yourself is like masturbating, sure it feels great, but it's nothing compared to the real deal.

Quote by guylee
Oh Shit! I Have A Weird Growth On My Body!

To The Pit!

JOIN MY GROUP plox

http://groups.ultimate-guitar.com/tonelife/
Quote by heminder
avoid Pro Tools, Logic Studio, and all the other corporate stuff out there...

Ardour...
it's free, and it's open source...
so it's made of win...

this just doesnt make sense.
proo tools has the most you can do if you are good with it. its a little harder, but if you get good with it, its the best thereis.
Quote by HIM%(^
this just doesnt make sense.
proo tools has the most you can do if you are good with it. its a little harder, but if you get good with it, its the best thereis.

i'm not criticizing Pro Tools' conveniences or features...
they may be all well and good, but i discourage the use of proprietary software...
see the second link...
FYI you don't need high end sequencers to get great audio. Sonar is reasonably priced and works with most interfaces, (unlike ProTools which needs its own hardware....)

What sequencer are you currently running?

ProTools is a great piece of software and has good features, however you need to pay a little more for it in the end. Cakewalk Sonar Studio or Producer are both great higher end products which have synths and just about everything you need to create your music.

Download the trials of Sonar and see how you like it. There are no ProTools demos as you need the hardware...
I use Cubase, and have had some experience with ProTools. I have not once wished that I was running PT instead of Cubase.

M-Powered is basically ProTools LE that runs with M-Audio hardware devices instead of looking for proprietary Digidesign hardware devices. Still proprietary in a way, but not quite so bad.

CT
Could I get some more talent in the monitors, please?

I know it sounds crazy, but try to learn to inhale your voice. www.thebelcantotechnique.com

Chris is the king of relating music things to other objects in real life.
I am a Sonar user and I as well have used ProTools...both LE and HD at the college...both I dont really like TBH. Sonar is my sequencer of choice.

We have LE with the DIGI 003s and HD with the Digidesign C|24
Last edited by moody07747 at Nov 18, 2008,
Doh! I forgot about Cubase. It has a wonderful sequencer, but the controls and key commands can get frustrating.

Wouldn't it be great if you could mix and match?

Imagine:
The sequencer of Cubase....
The signal flow of Reason....
The power of Logic...

i wants it.... someone design it NOW XD.
Quote by jackbauer
playing by yourself is like masturbating, sure it feels great, but it's nothing compared to the real deal.

Quote by guylee

To The Pit!

JOIN MY GROUP plox

I have my Cubase key commands all customized. Easy to do.

What signal flow and power are you referring to that the other sequencers have that make them more desirable than Cubase in those regards?

CT

I know it sounds crazy, but try to learn to inhale your voice. www.thebelcantotechnique.com

Quote by axemanchris
I have my Cubase key commands all customized. Easy to do.

What signal flow and power are you referring to that the other sequencers have that make them more desirable than Cubase in those regards?

CT

I didn't use Cubase consistently enough to try to customize anything. I just remember loving the edit window.

For the signal flow I was referring just to the layout and ease of the signal routing. I'm currently in love with Reason because its very visual, and that works for me. The sequencer window in reason is not great though.

I get why you asked though, because it might have sounded like I was dissing Cubase. I was just trying to point out that I like some aspects of certain programs better than others. But thats just me.

As for the "power", it was just kind of a general remark about the capabilities of high end software. I know I could have easily plugged Cubase or Ableton in there, Logic is just my first choice.
Quote by jackbauer

Quote by guylee

To The Pit!

JOIN MY GROUP plox

Quote by skaman27
Does this really compare to pro tools and other stuff like that?

yes, well i've been able to do pretty much anything i've wanted with it...
there's other external programs that can connect to it via Jack...
like Hydrogen for example, which is a drum machine...
^ it needs to be stated that this is linux software, and frankly its no substitute for a PC or Mac running Reaper/Cubase/Logic.

i spent months working on the whole linux studio thing and its just not there yet, maybe in a year or 2 when hardware support improves and the apps actually get good, i'm gonna be keeping a keen eye on it. (btw i'm still using Linux on my non-studio machine, and i'm typing this from linux right now)

i'd hesitate to recommend it to anyone for studio work.
I have Pro Tools LE as well as Logic Studio. I love them both and use each for different things. Logic for tacking and MIDI editing and Pro Tools for editing and mixing. Although with PT8 on the way, im hoping to move strictly to Pro Tools. I liked Nuendo the few times I've used it, but didn't really care for Cubase (weird...I know)
Im a huge fan of both purchased and open source audio software, and i think its a bit naive to discourage use of something just because people have to pay for it. Whilst it might be good to use an alternate sequencer for various reasons, Pro Tools and digi hardware is worth what you pay for it.

Quote by USAPeavey

For the signal flow I was referring just to the layout and ease of the signal routing. I'm currently in love with Reason because its very visual, and that works for me. The sequencer window in reason is not great though.

Are you using 4.0? crazy sequencer improvements. i use dual monitors and put the rack left and sequencer right, sexy as **** .
Quote by richwatkinson
Im a huge fan of both purchased and open source audio software, and i think its a bit naive to discourage use of something just because people have to pay for it. Whilst it might be good to use an alternate sequencer for various reasons, Pro Tools and digi hardware is worth what you pay for it.

you raise a point, however i dont think ProTools LE is in any way worth paying for, its just so crippled. a proper ProTools HD rig however, is worth it if you are working in the big-league. i use both versions in college and although i'm not a fan of ProTools or Digidesign's buisness model, theres something sexy about a HD rig with a big D-Command control desk and all the racks of out-board processers.

Quote by richwatkinson
Are you using 4.0? crazy sequencer improvements. i use dual monitors and put the rack left and sequencer right, sexy as **** .

aw, win!
its the only thing i dont like about Reason, its so awkward on a single screen.
im using version 4 too, and i agree the sequencer has gotten a lot better.
Quote by TheDriller
you raise a point, however i dont think ProTools LE is in any way worth paying for, its just so crippled. a proper ProTools HD rig however, is worth it if you are working in the big-league.

Definitely. Thats partly the reason people use it too, for compatability purposes with other people and other workspaces and studios.

Quote by TheDriller
i use both versions in college and although i'm not a fan of ProTools or Digidesign's buisness model, theres something sexy about a HD rig with a big D-Command control desk and all the racks of out-board processers.

We have a HD setup with a D-Command too !
Where do you go to college? I think within the next year the D-command at ours is getting taken out and replaced with an SSL, or so we're told
Quote by richwatkinson

We have a HD setup with a D-Command too !
Where do you go to college? I think within the next year the D-command at ours is getting taken out and replaced with an SSL, or so we're told

Aw sweet!
I'm in Limerick Institute Of Technology, Ireland. we have 2 HD rooms, each with a D-Command, one is a 5.1 surround set-up. an SSL would be friggin awesome alright.

in my book, its either HD or nothing. ProTools LE is an absolute joke.
having said that, i'd rather not use ProTools anyway, i'm not fond of the program at all, regardless of what the "industry standard" is.
I love using dual monitors. One monitor has my edit window with all my tracks laid out in front of me, and the other monitor has my mixer and plugins, etc.

CT

I wish I had 3 monitors and enough video cards.
One for the mixer
another for the Effects and such
and the last for the tracks

I had a dual monitor setup for a few days but the old Dell died soon after. Luckily I have a 19" wide format LCD so I am not too crunched for space.
Quote by TheDriller
Aw sweet!
I'm in Limerick Institute Of Technology, Ireland. we have 2 HD rooms, each with a D-Command, one is a 5.1 surround set-up. an SSL would be friggin awesome alright.

in my book, its either HD or nothing. ProTools LE is an absolute joke.
having said that, i'd rather not use ProTools anyway, i'm not fond of the program at all, regardless of what the "industry standard" is.

Aren't audio schools great? lol

I'm attending SAE Institute- Atlanta, and even though its small, its brand spankin new.

You know you've got it good when the instructors call a $100,000 SSL board "decent".

We just got a Neve as well, and the waiting list for booking it is freaking ridiculous.
Quote by jackbauer

Quote by guylee

To The Pit!

JOIN MY GROUP plox

^ awesome,

the course i'm doin isn't very good though, its "Video And Sound Technology", with a LOT of emphasis on the Video part. we kinda got triked into it, the open-day was very deceptive. i'll probably end up doing another "proper" music tech course in a few years.

Neve, sweet, though to be honest i dont think i'd ever go down that road personally, even if i had the money. "In The Box" all the way

(as long as its a good box!)