so a few weeks ago, one of my English assignments was to rewrite the last chapter to John Steinbeck's Of Mice and Men. so i was just wondering what the Pit thinks of my alternate ending. NOTE: this is NOT the alternate ending from SNL. that one was way better. lol.

So anyway, i now present... The Alternate Ending to Of Mice and Men

The Salinas River glimmered under the glow of the evening sun. A cool breeze rustled through the leaves of the sycamore trees. Birds chirped overhead as they started to settle in their nests for the night. Off in the distance, a dog barked. Under a tree by the brush sat Lennie.
“Why’d I got to be so dang strong?” Lennie asked himself as he stroked the dead mouse he found on the road. “If I wasn’t so strong, I wouldn’ta killed Curley’s wife. Then George would let me tend the rabbits when we get our place.
“Aw, George is gonna give me hell when he gets here. He’s always sayin’ how much better he’d be if I wasn’t with him. Maybe I’ll just go an’ find a cave to live in. Yeah, that’s what I’m gonna do.”
Lennie got up, regained his balance, and started walking, only to be hindered by a tree root that stuck out of the ground. The next thing Lennie knew, he was tumbling down the embankment towards the river. He rolled into the river with a splash, then all was silent.
This is what I deserve, thought Lennie as he lay motionless in the river. It’ll be better this way. George’ll be better off alone. He don’t need me. I jus’ cause him trouble. It’s... better... like... this... He stumbled on his last thoughts as the lack of oxygen to his brain was starting to cause him to pass out.
Suddenly, Lennie felt something wrap around his chest. Then, he felt air coming into his lungs. He felt his back thump onto the muddy grass. Above him stood Curley, soaking wet from the water, glaring with eyes like sharp daggers.
“What the blazes did you do with my wife, ya no good, dirty excuse fer a person?” asked Curley. “Huh? What did you do? WHAT DID YOU DO?”
“I di’n’t mean no harm,” said Lennie. He looked around in hopes to see George. Around him stood Carlson and Slim, but George was no where in sight.
“Where’s my Luger?” Carlson asked Lennie in a menacing tone.
“I ain’t got it,” replied Lennie.
The sun had gone down and the moon now took its place. “Yer dead meat!” yelled Curley. Curley hit Lennie once. He hit him again. Blood glistened red in the moonlight as it trickled down Lennie’s face. Lennie collapsed in fear and agony as Curley beat him repeatedly.
“Curley, stop it!” yelled Slim. “You’ll kill ‘im!”
“Good!” screamed Curley with another blow to Lennie’s face. “I want him dead! I want him to suffer! I want my wife!”
“Stop it!” shouted Slim.
“You killed my wife, you rotten son of a—” Curley was interrupted by the sound of a gunshot, he dropped to the ground, and all was silent. George appeared from the bushes holding Carlson’s Luger. Smoke floated from the barrel.
“George!” said Slim. “What did you just do?”
“If he wants his wife so much, then he can be with her,” said George. He stood over Curley, looking at his bleeding chest, and turned to Slim. “Slim, it had to be done. Go ahead, lock us up in jail. I don’t care.”
“George,” said Slim, “you got good intentions, and you should be jailed for this, but I’m gonna let you and Lennie get on your way. You’re right, it had to be done. Come on, Carlson. Let’s go home.” They walked up the road toward the ranch and disappeared into the dark of the night.
George helped Lennie onto his feet, washed off his face in the river, and they walked down the road, away from the ranch.
“Now Lennie, let me tell you about the rabbits...”

THE END
Quote by brandon369852
lolworthy- classicrockboy WIN of thread.
"When the power of love overcomes the love of power, the world will know peace."
~ Jimi Hendrix

UG Backing Track Band
UG Rock Opera
Check out my songs for it

Currently e-single. Hit me up ladies
I had the exact assignment last year. Yours was pretty good, it kind of changed the theme of the book slightly but that should get a good grade.
It's a good alternative ending to the book.
Can't really see anything wrong.

It would improve the movie version, the way that ends was crap.

"'N' I get to tend the rabbits, Geo.."
KABOOOOOOM.
*Lennie falls over*

I knew it would happen because I've read the book but the movie could have like, portrayed it much better.
I deeply regret the 6661 in my username. Siiiigh. Damn you, 14 year old me, you edgy little bastard.
I would've had Curly forgive Lennie and then all four go to the barn to have a hot, sweaty, gay foursome.
Quote by Dirge Humani
Boo! Happy endings are so cliché.
Yeah, that's what I liked about the original.

But I guess the alternative to sad is happy.
*-)
Quote by Bob_Sacamano
i kinda wish we all had a penis and vagina instead of buttholes

i mean no offense to buttholes and poop or anything

Rest in Peace, Troy Davis and Trayvon Martin and Jordan Davis and Eric Garner and Mike Brown
not bad but needs a bit of work with the vocab i think

just reading this book for my english gcse and its soo boring
lol
Quote by Carl6661
It's a good alternative ending to the book.
Can't really see anything wrong.

It would improve the movie version, the way that ends was crap.

"'N' I get to tend the rabbits, Geo.."
KABOOOOOOM.
*Lennie falls over*

I knew it would happen because I've read the book but the movie could have like, portrayed it much better.

Me and my friend were laughing our asses off at the ending of the movie, because the whole scene played out so funny.

Everyone in the class looked at us weird...
Quote by Trefellin
I would've had Curly forgive Lennie and then all four go to the barn to have a hot, sweaty, gay foursome.

Quote by classicrockboy
so a few weeks ago, one of my English assignments was to rewrite the last chapter to John Steinbeck's Of Mice and Men. so i was just wondering what the Pit thinks of my alternate ending. NOTE: this is NOT the alternate ending from SNL. that one was way better. lol.

So anyway, i now present... The Alternate Ending to Of Mice and Men

The Salinas River glimmered under the glow of the evening sun. A cool breeze rustled through the leaves of the sycamore trees. Birds chirped overhead as they started to settle in their nests for the night. Off in the distance, a dog barked. Under a tree by the brush sat Lennie.
“Why’d I got to be so dang strong?” Lennie asked himself as he stroked the dead mouse he found on the road. “If I wasn’t so strong, I wouldn’ta killed Curley’s wife. Then George would let me tend the rabbits when we get our place.
“Aw, George is gonna give me hell when he gets here. He’s always sayin’ how much better he’d be if I wasn’t with him. Maybe I’ll just go an’ find a cave to live in. Yeah, that’s what I’m gonna do.”
Lennie got up, regained his balance, and started walking, only to be hindered by a tree root that stuck out of the ground. The next thing Lennie knew, he was tumbling down the embankment towards the river. He rolled into the river with a splash, then all was silent.
This is what I deserve, thought Lennie as he lay motionless in the river. It’ll be better this way. George’ll be better off alone. He don’t need me. I jus’ cause him trouble. It’s... better... like... this... He stumbled on his last thoughts as the lack of oxygen to his brain was starting to cause him to pass out.
Suddenly, Lennie felt something wrap around his chest. Then, he felt air coming into his lungs. He felt his back thump onto the muddy grass. Above him stood Curley, soaking wet from the water, glaring with eyes like sharp daggers.
“What the blazes did you do with my wife, ya no good, dirty excuse fer a person?” asked Curley. “Huh? What did you do? WHAT DID YOU DO?”
“I di’n’t mean no harm,” said Lennie. He looked around in hopes to see George. Around him stood Carlson and Slim, but George was no where in sight.
“Where’s my Luger?” Carlson asked Lennie in a menacing tone.
“I ain’t got it,” replied Lennie.
The sun had gone down and the moon now took its place. “Yer dead meat!” yelled Curley. Curley hit Lennie once. He hit him again. Blood glistened red in the moonlight as it trickled down Lennie’s face. Lennie collapsed in fear and agony as Curley beat him repeatedly.
“Curley, stop it!” yelled Slim. “You’ll kill ‘im!”
“Good!” screamed Curley with another blow to Lennie’s face. “I want him dead! I want him to suffer! I want my wife!”
“Stop it!” shouted Slim.
“You killed my wife, you rotten son of a—” Curley was interrupted by the sound of a gunshot, he dropped to the ground, and all was silent. George appeared from the bushes holding Carlson’s Luger. Smoke floated from the barrel.
“George!” said Slim. “What did you just do?”
“If he wants his wife so much, then he can be with her,” said George. He stood over Curley, looking at his bleeding chest, and turned to Slim. “Slim, it had to be done. Go ahead, lock us up in jail. I don’t care.”
George,” said Slim, “you got good intentions, and you should be jailed for this, but I’m gonna let you and Lennie get on your way. You’re right, it had to be done. Come on, Carlson. Let’s go home.” They walked up the road toward the ranch and disappeared into the dark of the night.
George helped Lennie onto his feet, washed off his face in the river, and they walked down the road, away from the ranch.
“Now Lennie, let me tell you about the rabbits...”

THE END

Thought this was fantastic minus this last highlighted bit. Just this small piece seemed ever so slightly rushed and i feel it could be worded slightly better. Just maybe a little bit more before the 'come on carlson' would fill it out nicely.

Other than that though, i genuinely thought it was fantastic
Quote by jxljxl
If UG had a Facebook style Relationship thing, I'd e-marry you C-mak

Quote by jxljxl
I want C-mak in my bum.

^Think he might have a thing for me...
Good, but I have to say I much prefer the book's original ending.

There's something about it that's just so powerful.
Quote by Dirge Humani
Me and my friend were laughing our asses off at the ending of the movie, because the whole scene played out so funny.

Everyone in the class looked at us weird...

Yeah, me and a couple of my mates laughed at that scene.
There were a couple of girls crying if I remember giving us some mega-evils.
I deeply regret the 6661 in my username. Siiiigh. Damn you, 14 year old me, you edgy little bastard.
Quote by lzcougarz3
I had the exact assignment last year. Yours was pretty good, it kind of changed the theme of the book slightly but that should get a good grade.

thanks. and i think i got like, a 94 on it. our teacher uses the SAT scoring so it was, like, the second best grade you could get.
Quote by brandon369852
"When the power of love overcomes the love of power, the world will know peace."
~ Jimi Hendrix

UG Backing Track Band
UG Rock Opera

my idea was that the giant rabbit ended up actually being real, and it and Lennie turned homicidal, but yours was okay
Quote by Trefellin

If I get this assignment I will do this, as well as write a serious one, and see which gets a better grade.

Edit: Curly's wife is infected with the T-Virus. NAO.
The UG Awards exist only to instill me with existential doubt.

For me, the 60's ended that day in 1978...

Willies. Fuck the lick and fuck you too.
Last edited by TheBurningFish at Nov 16, 2008,
The twist should be that Bruce Willis is really a ghost as well
Opie and Anthony Fan
XM 202 | SIRIUS 197
Linger Longer
just read this in english, its a good book, good job on the ending aswell
Quote by Liam.

what a twist!

i had an assignment like this for of mice and men but we had to make our soundtrack for the movie and describe what songs fit in what scene. I got an A on it.
"Member of the UG Pink Floyd Fan club PM stonegolem13 or nick dixon to join

love The Evil Dead films? Join my group: http://groups.ultimate-guitar.com/boomstick/

Quote by pepsi1187
not to mention herbert from family guy will touch you in your sleep
You're completely changing the theme of the book.

Curley never seemed devoted to his wife. He was just very jealous because she seemed to "get around."

George knew what Lennie did went too far. There was foreshadowing all throughout the book that Lennie would someday do something too evil, though unintentionally, and the murder was it.

Slim, while being kind, was more responsible than that. He wouldn't let two murderers just walk away.

And why save Lennie from drowning if he just wants to beat him to death?

Why are they out where Lennie is anyway?
Quote by Les_Frederiksen
PlayMadness, you give me hope for mankind.

Quote by Darksucker
PlayMadness - Jesus 2.0

Quote by genghisgandhi
Society's doing great. There's a rise of people like PlayMadness. I feel pretty good about the way things are going.
I didn't read your ending, but I'm doing that course write now. *Copies wall of text for later reference*.

I ruined the book by reading the last 2 pages before we started, on heinsight I shouldn't of.
Quote by PlayMadness
You're completely changing the theme of the book.

Curley never seemed devoted to his wife. He was just very jealous because she seemed to "get around."

George knew what Lennie did went too far. There was foreshadowing all throughout the book that Lennie would someday do something too evil, though unintentionally, and the murder was it.

Slim, while being kind, was more responsible than that. He wouldn't let two murderers just walk away.

And why save Lennie from drowning if he just wants to beat him to death?

Why are they out where Lennie is anyway?

dude, calm down. the assignment was to end the book the way we wanted it to end. who cares if it changed the theme? Curley would have saved Lennie from drowning because he wanted to get revenge himself. Curley wanted lennie to suffer a torturous death. it's just a creative writing assignment. chill out! if you didn't like it then write your own.
Quote by brandon369852
~ Jimi Hendrix

UG Backing Track Band
UG Rock Opera

Quote by Liam.

hahahahahahaha
Quote by Rockstar12345
One does not simply walk onto a Chav's lawn
George shot lennie with this luger
But lennie's mighty thick skull deflected the bullet and it hit george gently in the head
this made him realise something
Something he had yet to realise about lennie

Lennie has a ****ing thick skull, he must be killed with fire!
Quote by TheBurningFish
If I get this assignment I will do this, as well as write a serious one, and see which gets a better grade.

"And then George fucked Slim in the ass, and then Lennie fucked George in the ass, and then George fucked Slim in the ass again..."
You should have had someone wake up in a mental assylum and it was all just his own delusion and there was no Great Depression or any of that. It would have opened it up for a crazy sequal.
Due what you want as long as you vote Due!
Quote by PlayMadness

Of course. It's Steinbeck.
I <3 bangoodcharlotte

Quote by humperdunk
one time i let my cat has cheezburger. i thought it was pretty funny.
Quote by Trefellin
"And then George fucked Slim in the ass, and then Lennie fucked George in the ass, and then George fucked Slim in the ass again..."

I think it should be more detailed than that.

"Slim begged Lenny to rip off his clothes and dominate him. Lenny obliged, kissing his neck and moving down his body sensually. George smelled Slim's neck and kissed his nipples. Lenny began to penetrate Slim's anus, starting slow and beginning to pump faster as Slim let out a moan of delight. Curly was in the corner fingering himself.
Quote by Sonicxlover
Kensai, I think I'll get a flamboyant sig.

Quote by Sonicxlover

Quote by Sonicxlover

Parker Nitefly Mojo sonnn
Jackson DK2M Dinky
Carvin Legacy
Fender Blues Jr.
Roland Cube 30X
Quote by Sonicxlover
I think it should be more detailed than that.

"Slim begged Lenny to rip off his clothes and dominate him. Lenny obliged, kissing his neck and moving down his body sensually. George smelled Slim's neck and kissed his nipples. Lenny began to penetrate Slim's anus, starting slow and beginning to pump faster as Slim let out a moan of delight. Curly was in the corner fingering himself.

Remind me, what's the difference between writing this and being gay? Not that there's anything wrong with that.
I <3 bangoodcharlotte

Quote by humperdunk
one time i let my cat has cheezburger. i thought it was pretty funny.