I heard that these things even unplugged could kill you if you're not careful. When replacing tubes, to be absolutely safe, how long should you leave the tube amp unplugged before its safe to work inside?

I have a peavey classic 30/112
this is a post. there are many like it but this one is mine

=======================

Taylor Big Baby
Agile 3100 CSB
Peavey classic 30/112
Okko Dominator, Big muff pi, cs3, dd3, ch1, ts9, ad9, classic wah
There's a way to drain the large capacitors that are holding the charge. You'll have to find that, I'm sorry, but I can't remember. If you wait for them to lose their charge you'll be waiting several months.
Quote by Powerhouse
I was in a nu-metal band when I was 15. I hated the top 3 strings (G,B, and E). I wondered why guitars even had them.
that sucks. I don't want to call in a tech just to replace tubes. I work inside computers all the time, but a computer can't kill you if you touch the wrong part.

=======================

Taylor Big Baby
Agile 3100 CSB
Peavey classic 30/112
Quote by mlfarrell
that sucks. I don't want to call in a tech just to replace tubes. I work inside computers all the time, but a computer can't kill you if you touch the wrong part.

To drain capacitors, find a model online of the inside of your amp, find the capacitor, then search this forum. I know its been asked before!
Quote by mlfarrell

got any idea what's inside a CRT monitor?
Quote by pmeg568c
oh man, seems as though i totally forgot about anal

My Gear
Fender American Deluxe Stratocaster
Fender Standard Strat
Boss ME-50 Multieffect
Fender Hot Rod Deluxe
If you're just replacing tubes, all you need to do is unplug the amp and let the tubes cool down.

If you're going to be playing around with capacitors you should manually discharge them with some tool, I don't know what it is.
Quote by pak1351
If you're just replacing tubes, all you need to do is unplug the amp and let the tubes cool down.

If you're going to be playing around with capacitors you should manually discharge them with some tool, I don't know what it is.

This is what I've heard too, can any one else back this up?
Gibson Les Paul Studio Deluxe/Ibanez RGA42/LTD EC401vf
Into:
Whammy IV>Pitchblack>Dunlop 536Q>Fulltone Fulldrive 2>Hardwire TL-2>MXR 10 Band>Line 6 M13
Into:
80s Carvin x100b w/ cab
fair enough. I just like to be extra cautious. I haven't had my amp for a year yet but I plan on replacing tubes on the year mark.

whats the suggested intervals for tube replacements?

power: every year?
pre-amp: ??

=======================

Taylor Big Baby
Agile 3100 CSB
Peavey classic 30/112
well, to be fair, its the current that would kill you :P i really dont think this is something to worry about
My Gear

Fender Deluxe Players Stratocaster
Marshall DSL 50 with 1960A
I'd have a spare set of tubes on hand, and just replace them when the amp seems to be off, more noisy/hissy than normal, or your volume isn't as loud as it should be.

Generally speaking, poweramp tubes usually go every year and preamps every three years. No need to replace them until they start to crap out though
i haven't replaced anything yet. I like those numbers alot better.

some site scared me though saying that if your power's go up, it'll break other parts of the amp with it.

I rarely crank up my amp past 3 or 4 though (2 usually), or turn the distortion channel much past that nice bluesy-rock tone of 3-6 on pre amp. The classic 30's heavy distortion isn't my cup of tea and I have a smash box pedal for that. I love its clean channel and its warm OD channel when turned mid to low.

Plus my acoustic-electric sounds GREAT when I run it though this amp.

=======================

Taylor Big Baby
Agile 3100 CSB
Peavey classic 30/112
you might need to discharge it...but i forget how you do that. i remember reading it the other day, here, but i cant remember.
Gear:
Agile Ash RB 828
Schecter C-7 (old 90s style headstock)
Handbuilt 6-string V
Handbuilt Baritone scale 6 string Iceman-copy
Pod HD300