hi everyone

i bought my floyd rose rg 320 ibanez 7 months ago and starting to feel like dropping from E tuning.

when i bought the guitar i asked about dropping and ive been told i cant drop cuz of the locks, but it can be removed and when you do that nothing bad can happen to your floyd rose.

i also red here:
http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/columns/gear_maintenance/floyd_rose_locking_tremelo.html

that its of to remove the clamps that lock the strings.

did anyone here tryed not locking a floyd rose?
is it bad for the instrument?

another idea i have is to drop and then lock
is the locking nessacery? cuz i rather remove the locks and use it as a "regular" guitar.

Many Thanks Ahead!
If you remove the locks, your tuning is shot to Hell.
You can fine tune from E to drop D and nothing bad will happen.
7-String Legion
Quote by TheJem
Justice4AllOne pretty much mentioned all of my ideas so yeah...pointless pun post.

Quote by MightySumo
Thanks fer settin me straight on that Justice

Quote by oneblackened
I was thinking that too, Justice usually seems like a pretty knowledgeable guy.
Quote by 106Kid
hi everyone

i bought my floyd rose rg 320 ibanez 7 months ago and starting to feel like dropping from E tuning.

when i bought the guitar i asked about dropping and ive been told i cant drop cuz of the locks, but it can be removed and when you do that nothing bad can happen to your floyd rose.

i also red here:
http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/columns/gear_maintenance/floyd_rose_locking_tremelo.html

that its of to remove the clamps that lock the strings.

did anyone here tryed not locking a floyd rose?
is it bad for the instrument?

another idea i have is to drop and then lock
is the locking nessacery? cuz i rather remove the locks and use it as a "regular" guitar.

Many Thanks Ahead!

All my FR equipped guitars have their locks off; it doesn't harm the instrument in any way.

The only thing that makes changing the tuning on a guitar with a floating bridge difficult (not that difficult, though, it just takes time) is adjusting the springs.

To drop the tuning on your guitar:

1) remove the clamps

2) depending on how low you intend to tune, install a new, higher gauge set of strings

3) tune your guitar to the desired tuning. Depending on your new string gauge (if you decided to change it) and how low it's tuned, you're bridge will have gone down a little into the cavity

4) open up the back. You'll see a few springs (probably three), a metal plate to which the springs are attached and two big screws going from the metal plate into the body

5) loosen the screws a little (make sure to loosen both screws equally). Just unscrew them a bit and look at the trem; if it's still sitting in the cavity, loosen them a bit more. You may find if the trem has three springs that you can't loosen the screws enough to get the trem at the right angle again: in that case you'll need to remove the middle spring.

As a tip, don't loosen the screws too much; it's better to remove a spring (as long as you keep at least two in there) than to run the risk of pulling the screws out when dive bombing.

6) retune frequently while your adjusting the screws to check your progress

After all that, you should have your guitar in the desired tuning with the trem at the correct angle. You don't need to put the clamps on the locking nut again.

By the way, if you like changing tunings and you don't really care for a tremolo, you might want to block it or buy a Tremol-no.
You've read it, you can't un-read it!
Last edited by Bonsaischaap at Nov 16, 2008,