Hey guys,

Took some recommendation on here and added a seymour duncan hotrail to my strat. Also up'd my strings from 9's to 10's

This is the first time i took all the strings off; normally i change them one at a time.

When i tuned the guitar now, the floating bridge come up almost all of the way instead of staying dead center; maybe this is ok?

I figured three springs would be plenty so im wondering if this is due to my lack of experience.

Take a look at these pics and tell me what you think. Also just a follow-up on the hot rails, would it only effect my bridge pickup, or the overall sound of the guitar....seems like the other pickups are a little more crunchier now? Doesn't really make sense to me, just assume its in my head.

You need to recalibrate the bridge to cope with the thicker string as theres now more tension pulling on the bridge. And just out of curiosity, why a black hotrail and not white?
My Gear:

Jackson RR5
Marshall TSL601 Limited Edition Racing Green
Screw the two claw screws in in the back cavity to balance out the tension of the heavier strings. Loosen your strings a little bit, screw it in about half an inch, and then retune and check the bridge height. It should float about 1/8" off the body. Just keep adjusting it until it's right.

Thx - ill scew the two screws in some and then retune.

I went with the black just to make it pop more, didnt really think too heavy on it. Guess i could have gone white so it would be less noticable.
Quote by boyd98
I just noticed my tone nobs don't work with my hot rail? the instructions say to take the red and the white wire and wrap them off together.

any thoughts on this?

The red and the white connect the two sides of the humbucker, so you can seperate them to use a coil split. My strat's wired to where the two tone knobs control the middle and neck pickups, so that could be it.
bridge isnt connected to a tone.

the bridge needs another spring, dont just tighten that's a lot of pressure on those screws.

and the red and white should have been soldered and wrapped for optimum connection.

funny thing is that yestersay i was thinking of taking mine out, i just find it so high end. i never use it.
the other two are stacked dimarzio humbuckers.

Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62
Jenny needs to sow her wild oats with random Gibsons and Taylors she picks up in bars before she settles down with a PRS.

Set up Questions? ...Q & A Thread

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A/GB&C WTLT Lists 2011
How hard was the installation, cos i plan on doing the same. Was it just a standard pick up swap? It doesn't look like you had to cut your pickguard ether, did you?
to install is easy. no cutting needed.

Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62
Jenny needs to sow her wild oats with random Gibsons and Taylors she picks up in bars before she settles down with a PRS.

well i didnt put the red and the white wire on any pot, my instructions were just to solder and wrap the two together.....the green went to the selector switch and the black to ground

per the instructions it said if you combine this with any other pickup green should go to the selector switch and not ground.....course this was on the back of the instructions, so i first solder green to ground and then had to swap them
Last edited by boyd98 at Nov 17, 2008,
Quote by boyd98
well i didnt put the red and the white wire on any pot, my instructions were just to solder and wrap the two together.....the green went to the selector switch and the black to ground

yeah, you wrap and solder the red and white

per the instructions it said if you combine this with any other pickup green should go to the selector switch and not ground.....course this was on the back of the instructions, so i first solder green to ground and then had to swap them

and in my case the green went to ground black hot goes to switch.

the tone isnt connected to the bridge, unless you jump a wire to it.
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62

any time.

switching those two wires changes the tone. so for some reason, you dont like how it sounds, switch them back again, see if that works better for you.

good luck
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62