hi there. I've bought one recently (the 15W version) and quite happy with its deep tone but I want to boost it to play metal. the amp is class A. I have quite a wide variety of taste for metal tone (from RR to Iron Maiden to A7X etc.) so I'm not really seeking for any particular tone. just want to push the amp to a level at which I can play metal. I'm thinking of a boost pedal and maybe tone shaping/EQ pedal which doesn't colour the sound. I have a sansamp GT2. and even though the amp have very good reputation of taking pedals well, it seems allergic to the GT2.

All advice is appreciate and thanks in advance!
Last edited by Duncan_amateur at Nov 16, 2008,
might want an overdrive to boost it to metal. the sound will probably have to be colored if you want to play metal - the blackheart is more of a "vintage" voiced amp.
Ibanez S320 with Dimarzio Fred + Seymour Duncan 59-> Weeping Demon Wah -> Ibanez TS-7 -> Homemade iBoost x3 -> Keeley DS-1 -> Visual Sound H2O -> MXR Ten Band -> Traynor YCV20
i'm generally against using boosters (signal amplifiers) in front of the amplifier, or using distortion/overdrive pedals in front of amplifiers. with boosters, it kills your preamp tubes. with distoriton pedals, it just sounds too muddy, generally 'bad'. i don't know how far off the blackheart is from your desired distortion, but i can say that.
Call me "Shot".

ShotRod Guitar Works

Custom Hand-wired Amplifiers and Effect Pedals.

Est. 2007

Source to everything I say about Guitars, Pedals, and Amplifiers: I make them.

UG's Best DIY PedalBoard
Quote by ECistheBest
i'm generally against using boosters (signal amplifiers) in front of the amplifier, or using distortion/overdrive pedals in front of amplifiers. with boosters, it kills your preamp tubes. with distoriton pedals, it just sounds too muddy, generally 'bad'. i don't know how far off the blackheart is from your desired distortion, but i can say that.

What...?

I've been using a booster on my amps forever and never had to change a preamp tube, so I wanna know how does it "kill them"?
boosting the signal going into the amp means you're overloading your preamp tubes even more, to get your desired saturation. the preamp volume knob adjusts the amount of signal going into the preamp tubes, as well as the eq. with the eqs cranked (assuming its a passive eq circuit) and the preamp volume cranked, with a boost from a pedal about 18dB? it will kill your amp. it might be that you like the sound from your "killed" (i don't like this term now) tubes. which is perfectly fine. now, some amps like laneys have very bright tone, so with well broken in tubes (like yours) might actually sound a bit darker and sound fatter. with my amp, it just kills the preamp tubes. no brightness after 6~8 months.
Call me "Shot".

ShotRod Guitar Works

Custom Hand-wired Amplifiers and Effect Pedals.

Est. 2007

Source to everything I say about Guitars, Pedals, and Amplifiers: I make them.

UG's Best DIY PedalBoard
I've got a Little Giant, and I havent heard the 15 watter yet, but I have to assume its similar. I had a lot of luck with a tube screamer in front of the amp. It really tightened up the low end and made the high mids a little more prominent. I wasn't looking for a metal tone so I only had the gain up at about 12-1 o'clock, but I'm sure you could get meaner with a little more gain. Take the mids down a little and you should have a nice Maiden-y Priest-y metal tone.
I think you might want to stick to overdrives as opposed to heavy distortions with this amp though as it is very midrange heavy and crunchy. If you're going for that scooped mids modern metal type of sound I think you're gonna be fighting against the voice of the amp.
@jmillgrip: very interesting. yeah it's pretty much similar to the 5 watter except you don't have to max out the volume to get more gain. now I regret to let my ts808 go just a week before the amp arrived, miss the chance to try out that combination.

however the main reason I sold it is it's smooth and neutral (to my ear, of course). I want something either a lil bit rougher and more articulate or saturated. can I get that with this amp?

some people suggest using the proco rat-plus-tube screamer combo but I never used up to 2 dirt pedals at one time and never try out the rat before. have you ever used a rat or try that combo? or do you have any other pedals in mind?
Last edited by Duncan_amateur at Nov 18, 2008,
well see thats what i like about the screamer...smoothness and neutrality. i played a rat a looong time ago and from what i remember it was more of a fuzz thing than a metal thing. no matter what you're using though i wouldnt do two distortion boxes. especially running at high gain...it'll just be too noisy.
maybe try a boss metal zone. those get really saturated. i usually like boss pedals because to me they don't seem to change your original tone too much.