Page 1 of 2
Well, I have been at this for like a month or two, very slowly because I can't afford things!

But I figure I'll post what I have so far.

Anyway, I am going with a kind of T5 type deal.

Specs:
-Mahogany back
-Claro Walnut top
-Mahogany neck
-Under saddle active piezo
-Zebra wood fretboard(possibly fanned)
-Zebra wood/Walnut headstock.

Anyway, here are some pictures. Some are from my phone from the beginning of the build, and the rest I took last night after I glued up the claro walnut.

Body roughed out with a router

Sitting on the mill, the shell mill kind of burned it up a tad, but nobody will ever see it anyways.

Those are the pictures so far. I am cleaning up the edges of the body with a block of paduok and some sand paper, it's pretty rough because my router bit was dull...then the shank snapped.

I am going to clean up the inside a bit too though. Then I have to make a bridge...blah. I really need to get the truss rod so I can do the neck and get it glued and set.

Enjoy.
Nice.
Quote by MoogleRancha

You sir, are a genius.

I salute you.

Quote by iwontwait
The bestowing of this thread on my life is yours. Thank you, Benjabenja.
A refreshing change to the norm around here

I look foward to it

Quote by dogismycopilot
Absent Mind, words cant express how much i love you. Id bone you, oh yea.

Quote by lumberjack
Absent Mind is, as usual, completely correct.

Quote by littlemurph7976
Id like to make my love for Neil public knowledge as he is a beautiful man
Hahaha I enjoy the first 2 posts, each with only one word!

I figured it'd be a good change, for myself too. Plus, I think the acoustic tone I am looking for could be pretty sweet out of this. That'll be a little better suited for playing small gigs without a drummer and stuff, with still having the agility of a small guitar.
Quote by ohspyro89

Oh, and I got this top for pretty cheap, all surface sanded and such. Would anybody be interested in tops like this? I can get them any size too. I just wondered, because looking through other places online that sell tops....they are insanely priced...

I'm interested.
I'll pm you.

EDIT:
No, I won't. Internet Explorer shuts down everytime I try to PM you.
So, info through here would be nice.
Last edited by Duval67 at Nov 16, 2008,
i would be intrested in tops as well,.
Just call me Bobby
Member of the official GB&C "Who to Listen to" list
Quote by mikeyElite
you build guitars worthy of sexual favors

Quote by Invader Jim
if this party gets any livelier a funeral is gonna break out.
^Me three. I can't PM either, so yeah.
R.I.P. Les Paul, 1915-2009

A man chooses, a slave obeys.
dude this guitar is pretty sick, you should stick a piezo under the bridge, that would be sweet since its kind of like an acoustic/hollowbody it is a very nice design. i cant wait to see it done
Quote by Øttər
I'll accept Jesus into my heart if the neighboorhood accepts my penis into it's street.
Quote by reed12321
dude this guitar is pretty sick, you should stick a piezo under the bridge, that would be sweet since its kind of like an acoustic/hollowbody it is a very nice design. i cant wait to see it done

Yeah, who reads first posts anyways

And about tops, I don't really know prices or anything. This top would be like $45 at a 1/4" thick 16" wide and 24" long. I am not sure about other tops or anything, but I could try to get a quote. Basically, the rates per bd/ft are pretty low where I get it, and I can get just about any wood there.

I'll have to check on flamed maple and things like that. If I get their rate on bd/ft I should be able to calculate the final costs with thier cutting and sanding rates.

PM me about it and we can discuss.
Quote by ohspyro89
Yeah, who reads first posts anyways

And about tops, I don't really know prices or anything. This top would be like $45 at a 1/4" thick 16" wide and 24" long. I am not sure about other tops or anything, but I could try to get a quote. Basically, the rates per bd/ft are pretty low where I get it, and I can get just about any wood there.

I'll have to check on flamed maple and things like that. If I get their rate on bd/ft I should be able to calculate the final costs with thier cutting and sanding rates.

PM me about it and we can discuss.

That's sweet man!
Think you could PM me your email, and we can discuss it through there?
One, I forget to check my pm's, and
two, Internet Explorer freezes up and closes when I try pming you.
I'm totally feeling that fingerboard.

I'll keep an eye on this one.
------

Shwiggity.
My email is ohspyro89@gmail.com

I too forget to check my private messages, just because it doesn't notify me when I have one. Plus the profile thing is a little laggy sometimes.

But anyways, I am thinking about painting the back of the guitar black, and if not, just the sides black.

Also, how does white binding sound?
I hear zebrawood = fail although I have no prior experience with it. I think jscustoms said he doesn't like working with it.

i really have to get on the ball with those custom fretboards... i wish days were 40 hours long instead of 24
Support your local luthier!

Timpson Guitars and TDM Pickups rock ;D

I make guitars and pickups. I also make sh*t that'll blow you the f*k up as well as things that will rebuild you - I have the technology
Plenty of people have used zebra wood bodies to good affect, not sure about fingerboards though, but I'm sure its been done.

Quote by dogismycopilot

Quote by lumberjack

Quote by littlemurph7976
yea i just think it's tough to work with. I read that it smells like a used porta-potty when you work it and it tears out a lot and warps like crazy.

i'm curious to see if it actually smells like poop... indian rosewood used to make me gag... now i'm just used to the fact that it reeks like cat piss and when i walk by it in the lumber yard, I know it and somehow have learned to appreciate it...

I make guitars and pickups. I also make sh*t that'll blow you the f*k up as well as things that will rebuild you - I have the technology
lol I didn't remember it smelling terrible when I cut the taper on the table saw. I'll get some scrap out and cut/sand it to see if it smells that terrible.

I now know that walnut tastes equally bad as it smells. I always hated the smell of walnut, but the taste is the worst. I actually went and ate a few tic tacs to get the taste from my mouth.

No clue on zebra wood fretboards, I figured why in the hell not. As for warping, walnut is TERRIBLE for warping. I have a few more pieces of walnut around, and they are all bowed. To glue this together, I layed a bunch of weights to get it as flat as possible, but in the end I still had about 1/16" difference at each end. I scraped it and sanded it down and it's damned smooth now.

I noticed that zebra wood has some little voids in it that could cause problems. I might epoxy finish it, then cut it for frets, or something. I am not sure yet, but it'll definitely get a finish. I don't know how I am going to do it all just yet, as I still need to order a damned truss rod or make one. But on the janka scale, it's hard enough, that's what I am going with.
i've seen them used and when successful they look pretty cool. walnut is all over the place for sure. every nice looking piece (grain wise) at the yard is all split and twisted... i'd rather use boring old poplar... at least i know i'm getting a fairly stable piece of wood. i've had 1/4" thick poplar in my basement for months and it's still straight as an arrow. granted I dont have a dismal dungeon of a basement but it does get rather moist down there. I need to add some vents to my heating system for down there and get a dehumidifier... all in time i guess...

the first 2 pics in your original thread don't show up... i want to see this thing on the mill

Quote by ohspyro89
My email is ohspyro89@gmail.com

I too forget to check my private messages, just because it doesn't notify me when I have one. Plus the profile thing is a little laggy sometimes.

But anyways, I am thinking about painting the back of the guitar black, and if not, just the sides black.

Also, how does white binding sound?

K, sweet. Added.
And white binding sounds quite good actually.
is that a Jet or an Acer bridgeport style mill? usually the accordian way covers are either those or a knee mill with a prototrak or anilam cnc built onto it

I used my buddy's series 2 bridgeport last week to bore out some screw up holes and plug them up... i'm craving a milling machine now... but i'll wait until have room for a cnc

It's a Jet, in that perdy white paint they use.

But I have quite a few updates.

I decided with a bloodwood neck rather than mahogany, just for the sake of a damned fine wood for a neck. And I am going with a paduok fretboard since I had some left over. It matches the bloodwood pretty good, but requires a finish. I put a polyacrylic finish on it, and it's pretty tough stuff.

Oh,and I fanned the fretboard from 25 to 25.75. Nothing huge, but enough to notice. I am looking forward to it.

Here are some pictures.

very nice. did you ever find out the price of those tops for me?
Just call me Bobby
Quote by mikeyElite

Quote by Invader Jim
sounds good. You know how i need you to check the price of quilted maple? check for flamed as well, i need it for my other project ( strat body fyi), if you wouldn't mind good sir

what kind of guitar is bro makin?
Just call me Bobby
Quote by mikeyElite

Quote by Invader Jim
Looking good

Quote by dogismycopilot

Quote by lumberjack

Quote by littlemurph7976
Very nice, I Pm'ed you btw
Just call me Bobby
Quote by mikeyElite

Quote by Invader Jim
Oh, by the way, I have played it.... it's pretty damned sweet. Sounds great too. Very good acoustic tone, and takes distortion way too well! The piezo works out amazing, has better tone than I thought it would. It works good for funk if you throw a compressor on. Takes a tube screamer with full drive on it without any feedback. Higher gain like my big muff with sustain and tone all the way up has feedback sometimes. If you back the tone down it works great. I'll get sound clips up hopefully once I get this finished and put back together.

I like this guitar, but unfortunately I am going to try to sell this thing.

Just a question, price wise, how much would you value this at? Or how much would you expect to pay for it given you have the money?
Looks great dude!

Finished pics please?
Quote by necrosis1193
As usual Natrone's mouth spouts general win.

Quote by Silverstein14
man, Natrone you're some kind of ninja I swear

Quote by gregs1020
plexi

i realize the longshot that is. little giant to humongous one.

Rest In Peace Stevie Ray
finised pics please
Quote by Deliriumbassist
Antisocial Behaviour Order. A chav's equivalent of GCSEs.
Page 1 of 2