Ive been thinking about this ever since i got the amp 2 months ago...

well first of all. when i bought the amp (30 watt) i looked online and people said it was a good amp.

so well i buy it and i like it alot. but when i start using it, i put the distortion channels and when i try to play the 4th 5th and 6th strings open, it sounds like total crap. horrible sound,

i also dont have a very good guitar. i have a epiphone les paul special 2.

so my question here is whether it is my guitar or my amp that is my problem? it really stops my motivation from playing what i want to.

i'd also like to know what you think about the amp. thanks
Well i have a line 6 spider 2 30 watt, and the G,B,E Strings ( i think you mean the lighter ones) sound find, i don't think there is a significant difference between the spider 2 and the spider 3, but i also have a good guitar, (Ibanez RGR420EX) so it may just be your guitar.
Poop.

Yes, poop.
Your amp isn't very good, if your sick of the sound you get then you should get a new one. What kind of music do you play? What's your budget? Do you plan on gigging?

EDIT: You also probably have too much gain, it's a common mistake with newer guitarists, try turning the gain down and see if that helps.
Quote by Vincent Vega
Haikus are awesome
but sometimes they don't make sense
Refrigerator

Quote by KissingShadows
People always tell me I solo like Zakk Wylde. Thats how I know that I suck.
Prepare for the your flaming.
Quote by RocknRollRay
If you make a clone of yourself, then have sex with yourself,

Is it incest or masturbation?
Quote by wtf290
It's not incest, but it's not masturbation.
It'd be closer to incest than masturbation, but I don't think there's a word for it.
Quote by ScottElwood
Incesturbation?
Get a new amp. Its probably not the guitar because the spider is a modeling so it dosen't really matter what kind of guitar you have. I'd say sell the spider, buy a cheap tube amp, if your gigging I'd say a crate v50 if not maybe v18 or v33 with a OD pedal for a boost of course.
Quote by That-Funny-Guy
your amp is great.

it's your guitar.

Haha, oh you are funny. Oh wait, no you're not.
Quote by Vincent Vega
Haikus are awesome
Refrigerator

Quote by KissingShadows
i am reffering to my e a d strings, im not dumb either. and i play metal most of the time, i mean clean it sounds good but when it has distortion it sounds not good..that may be a problem that i have too much distortion.

my budget can be probably 350, im also thinkin about buying a kh202.
Most people around here aren't big fans of those amps ..
With the amount of flack everyone gets for even making that subject line, let alone the post, you'd think everyone would give it up with the Line 6's already...

But here's what I think about the amp:

You're an idiot for buying one and you get what you pay for, and much less when you buy Line 6. Have fun trying to sell it.
1992 Gibson Explorer (Seymour Duncan '59 neck, Custom Custom bridge)
Jackson King V Professional Std. (Seymour Duncan Invaders)
Mesa/Boogie Nomad 55
Mesa/Boogie 412 Recto. O/S Cabinet
Boss ME-50
MXR 10-Band EQ
Quote by crimson205
i am reffering to my e a d strings, im not dumb either. and i play metal most of the time, i mean clean it sounds good but when it has distortion it sounds not good..that may be a problem that i have too much distortion.

my budget can be probably 350, im also thinkin about buying a kh202.

Those are your lower strings, not higher. You probably have too much gain, try turning it down and see what happens.

DO NOT GET THE GUITAR BEFORE YOU GET A NEW AMP. Since your Spider is a modeling amp pretty much any guitar you play with it is going to sound the same. Your amp makes up most of your tone, so get a new amp first. Since you like metal I would recommend checking out the Roland Cube series.
Quote by Vincent Vega
Haikus are awesome
Refrigerator

Quote by KissingShadows
damn wow. the part i find funny is all the reviews say this is a great amp, the best in the price range and all that. EVERYWHERE. even here they reviewed it and most ppl said it was really good.

well whatever. what amp should i replace this with?
Quote by HavokStrife
With the amount of flack everyone gets for even making that subject line, let alone the post, you'd think everyone would give it up with the Line 6's already...

But here's what I think about the amp:

You're an idiot for buying one and you get what you pay for, and much less when you buy Line 6. Have fun trying to sell it.

I dont see why people hate Line 6's so much, I have a Line 6 Spidervalve 112 and it sounds great!
Quote by crimson205
damn wow. the part i find funny is all the reviews say this is a great amp, the best in the price range and all that. EVERYWHERE. even here they reviewed it and most ppl said it was really good.

well whatever. what amp should i replace this with?

Yeah people say they're good when you first get it but your ear for tone starts to develop and they start to sound terrible. It is definitely not the best amp you can get for the price.

Anyway, do you plan on gigging? I would recommend the Roland Cube series, they're pretty good for metal and will be in your price range. If you're willing to save some more money the Valveking would be a good option as well.

Quote by fLYinGV23
I dont see why people hate Line 6's so much, I have a Line 6 Spidervalve 112 and it sounds great!

Spider Valves are much better than Spider IIs and Spider IIIs, but you could still do better for your money than a Spider Valve.
Quote by Vincent Vega
Haikus are awesome
Refrigerator

Quote by KissingShadows
Quote by thsrayas

Spider Valves are much better than Spider IIs and Spider IIIs, but you could still do better for your money than a Spider Valve.

Maybe so, but I got mine as a birthday present
hm. well i think i can get rid of it for 150, its in a brand new state. you think?
From my experience with distortion my epi LP standard and spider III dont mix well

really muddy.
Bands:
Native State
A Titan, A Deity
Rash L.A

Gear:
PRS P245 Semi Hollow
Suhr Modern Guthrie Spec
Mayones Regius 7 Buckeye Burl
LSL CVS Studio Strat
Fender American Standard Tele
Faith Hi Gloss Venus

Mesa Lonestar Special
Bugera 333
Zilla 2x12 Fatboy
Line 6 PodHD500
dude the amps fine theres nothing wrong with it. set your eq properly, DONT use the gain of the amp (use clean channel, turn off all effects) and plug in a boss metal zone or something. if it still doesnt sound good, look into gettin a new guitar.

seriously the amp isnt that bad if you set it properly
Peavey JSX 120 Half Stack
Mockingbird Evil Edge SE
Mockingbird Special(White)

Set sail to sea but pulled off course by the light of golden treasure --Hetfield, the Unforgiven Pirate

So I dub Thee Unforgiven Three! -How it should have been
Quote by thedekker
dude the amps fine theres nothing wrong with it. set your eq properly, DONT use the gain of the amp (use clean channel, turn off all effects) and plug in a boss metal zone or something. if it still doesnt sound good, look into gettin a new guitar.

if you replace the distortion with a metal zone, your not really solving anything. Your going from one fizzy distortion to another. Trust me, i know.

And if your sound doesn't sound good, chances are it's the amp that will effect it the most.
Quote by thedekker

Don't listen to this guy, he's got it all wrong.

The amp is not fine, the distortion is fizzy and in my experience it gets muddy pretty easily. If you just go from fizzy muddy distortion to a fizzy distortion pedal then you've just wasted your money. And if you don't like the tone you're getting then get a new amp, not a new guitar.

If you play a crappy Wal Mart guitar through a Mesa or Diezel it's going to sound a LOT better than a Schecter or Jackson or ESP through a Spider or Frontman.
Quote by Vincent Vega
Haikus are awesome
Refrigerator

Quote by KissingShadows
the spider amps are genuinely good in my opinion. i been though some of the best tube amps around and the spider isn't so bad. most of the kids here hate them because they didn't have the patience to eq the thing. as stated by many line 6 bandwagon'ers before me"the distortion is fizzy and it gets muddy easily". ANY AMP WILL SOUND FIZZY AND GETS MUDDY IF YOU DON'T HAVE IT SET UP RIGHT.
Quote by HavokStrife

stop talking out of your ass. line 6 has been making quality products for awhile. especially the pod series. i'll bet the distortion mode on the pod x3 live can get heavier than your mesa nomad.
Last edited by kckyle at Nov 16, 2008,
thanks alot dude. oh and i also have a problemn that my bass changes while im playing and sometimes when i try to change the bass there is no change...
its not active eq so you'll have to turn the knobs a bit before the on board software recognize what you are trying to accomplish
oh ok. and how about sometimes when i try to turn it on. mkes a loud thump noise and i cant hear anything or it doesnt switch channels?
Ya they have a crappy sound if u don't know how to turn a knob. People amaze me. The knobs aren't there for their pretty chrome finish.

Ive had a Line 6 Spider III 30w for a couple years now and i liked it so much i bought a Line 6 Spider II 75w.

The only thing i hated about the amp was that it didn't have DELAY or an independent REVERB knob - which the Spider II 75w. has.

Try this:
INSANE
Drive: 5.5
Bass: 5.5
Mids.: 5.5
Treble: 6.5

Then top it off with some Tape Echo [if ur into echo and delay like i am]

Let me know how that sounds.
The epi special isnt that bad of a guitar but they do put really hot pickups in it. So try backing off the guitar volume some and see if that helps. Along with less gain on the amp. The spiders arent known for being great sounding or reliable. And they dont take to pedals to well. Kind of defeats the point of a modelling amp to then go buy pedals so it will sound decent. If your just looking for a practice amp stick with the 15 watt stuff they get plenty loud and dont cost as much.
Its your amp.
I own a Spider III too.
I cant afford a good one at the moment.
I mean its not that bad, but its not good either. Its only good for practise but thats pretty much it.
Quote by nasstyman
i busted a g-string while fingering a minor...
Quote by 18zzz18
REPLY DUDE! YOU COULD BE THE SAVIOUR OF THE EARTH AND ALL OF MANKIND! (:
0h @nd U M@Y H@V3 2 T@LK L1K3 TH1S..... 1TZ TH3 L@NGU@G3 0F TH3 FUTUR3
Quote by RMC06
My old band teacher once called me a penis wrinkle.
If you do want another amp, for metal, the Roland Cube, and Vox Valvetronix XL series are good SS options, or Randall/Bugera for tube...
Quote by Mister.Y
Well, The Lion Sleeps Tonight is still a bit popular... I mean, cmon...

awimbawe awimbawe awimbawe awimbawe...

"I'll See You In The Next World, and Don't Be Late"