i posted a similar thread about this yestarday, but got a grand result of 0 answers so im going try again in a different manner

instead of buying (online) a tube amp based on other peoples opinions, i have decided to buy some sort of multi effects pedal or interface (think Pod Studio, Toneport) so that i can hear most high end amps (even if they are cheap copies of the sound) and in a year's time, buy the amp/effects that i use most in their real form

my budget would be tops $400 and i play a bit of everything. what should i buy?

thanks
What's your current amp? If you're just trying to get a general idea of what the different amps sound like, why don't you just go to a guitar store and play them? If a guitar store is unavailable, why don't you just go to YouTube and listen to demos? And maybe get some $40 or so headphones, if you don't already have some nice speakers for your computer. No digital amp modeler is going to sound like a tube amp. It's going to sound like it's solid-state.
Quote by FlyingBeerman
What's your current amp? If you're just trying to get a general idea of what the different amps sound like, why don't you just go to a guitar store and play them? If a guitar store is unavailable, why don't you just go to YouTube and listen to demos? And maybe get some $40 or so headphones, if you don't already have some nice speakers for your computer. No digital amp modeler is going to sound like a tube amp. It's going to sound like it's solid-state.

well, listening to youtube clips isnt the same thing, right? and i really dont know what i want from my sound (i might finish playing 'banquet' from Bloc Party and then start playing 'raining blood' from Slayer) so i wanted to experiment with lots of different sound to find out which one i most

edit: my amp is a crate flexwave fw15r
Listening to amp modelers isn't the same thing either. The difference is that with amp modelers, the signal is getting digitized before it gets amplified. With YouTube clips, the signal is getting digitized after it's been amplified. Guess which one is going to be more accurate? Don't know much about the Flexwave series, but they don't seem to get a lot of love on these forums. You certainly shouldn't spend $400 on an amp modeler when you've got a $100 amp. $400 is enough to get a tube amp, and YouTube clips will give you a general idea of what sort of tone you want.
Buy used. I get great deals on Craigslist and eBay on multifx. The GNX4 is good if you want builtin 8 track recorder/looper, onboard midi drum machine, and up to 2 Gig of MP3 files for backing tracks. I've paid $225 for a GNX4, $111 for a GNX3, $95 for a GNX3000, $125 for a Pod XT, $225 for a GT8, $100 for a Korg AX1500G, and $225 for a Pod X3 Live. All on Craigslist except the GNX3 from eBay. Don't buy new if you are in the US. I've bought and sold on Craigslist and owned a lot of stuff for free and even made money.