I bought a Vintage Hagstrom off of Ebay (Click) and I love it. I decided to compare it to my strat, and it seemed the pickups (original mint from Seventies) and they seemed to not output as much volume. My question is if I should replace them, and if I do, what kind should I get, or what would you recommend? BTW the guitar plays great and sound really good
Since the tuners were already changed, the full vintage value is lost I think. So it's really up to you but if it sounds good why change it.
Could you raise the pickups a little bit?
Then there's this band called Slice The Cake...

Bunch of faggots putting random riffs together and calling it "progressive" deathcore.
Stupid name.
Probably picked "for teh lulz"

Mod in UG's Official Gain Whores
^this
Raising the pickups to find their "sweet spot" will give you more volume without adversely affecting the sound. Don't go too high, however. That'll do you no favours at all.

If you want new pickups, buy Bare Knuckles. Pricey but awesome.
Most pickups have different output volumes maybe your other strats pickups have more output, or they use a different magnet. You can raise the pickups, but it will effect the sound you can get from them, play open strings while raising or lowering the pickups to find the tone you like the best
If you were to buy a new set, I would get a set of Hagstom Custom 60's. They are the closest to what the original would have had.

The tuners being changed wouldn't affect the value that much... they are still 70's hag tuners on it, and tuning pegs are NOT what made Hagstrom famous

Good buy man, straight up sex those guitars are. I have a new one. Same finish.
I've bought, sold, and traded more gear than I care to admit.
Quote by Brendan.Clace
If you were to buy a new set, I would get a set of Hagstom Custom 60's. They are the closest to what the original would have had.

The tuners being changed wouldn't affect the value that much... they are still 70's hag tuners on it, and tuning pegs are NOT what made Hagstrom famous

Good buy man, straight up sex those guitars are. I have a new one. Same finish.

Actually, the new pickups would be custom 58's, standard in all Swede models. I have a Select swede, and can tell you that they are pretty good. Great all purpose pickup, just like, well the vintage ones. Do what the others suggest, the old Hag sound was very unique, and those old swede pickups were real killer.
Main Gear
Hagstrom Select Swede- Fender C600 (modded of course) - Peavey PV8
Main Effects
- DSP2024P - MT-2 - Yamaha CO-10M - MXR Phase 90 - BBE Stinger - Ibanez BCL Bi-Mode Chorus
I raised the pickups, sound great! thanks for the advice.

and I agree with Brendan. straight up sex
I play an old 70s Swede.

If you ever want to change the pickups BE CAREFUL. The original mounting rings are thin and they break easily. BE CAREFUL you do not snap the mounting rings because you can not get original style replacements.... If that is important to you.
Last edited by Mojo Filter at Dec 1, 2008,