ok

when i slap any other string than the E,
my thumb just bashes against other strings as much as the one im aiming for...
is this ok, and should i just mute other strings with my left hand, or is my right hand technique wrong?
thanks

i would really appreciate some help
'If I were not a physicist, I would probably be a musician. I often think in music. I live my daydreams in music. I see my life in terms of music.' Albert Einstein
Last edited by Jake the Peg at Nov 16, 2008,
the same thing happens to me and i mute them, but then again, im not much of a slapper.

I'm pretty sure youve got your right hand technique wrong because if you look at victor wooten or les claypool they dont seem to be muting any strings, they just slap perfectly :S

i'd advise checking out some slapping lessons on UG or something like that, try to find out what exactly your doing wrong and then just practice at it i suppose...
i looked at the slap lessons on UG, no mention of right hand accuracy or anything like that.
and youtube vids are 99% balls in my experience...
but yes vic W and others dont seem to be muting.
there right hand seems to be very horizontal, that might be it not sure
thanks posting lol
maybe people think i have eLeprosy....
'If I were not a physicist, I would probably be a musician. I often think in music. I live my daydreams in music. I see my life in terms of music.' Albert Einstein
haha, no problem

i havent checked the UG slapping lessons, i kinda just gave up on it haha, and i know what you mean about youtube videos, they are quite bad.

i dunno then, i suppose just learn it the same way you learned bass then, start of with easy songs then work your way up. Just keep practicing i guess, youll eventually get it
yes, completely "horizontal" or parallel. If you are going perpindicular to the strings at all, you are deviating from the cleanest most efficient technique (which is how some people play, and that's fine). I'm not much of a slapper by any means, but I can hit each string independently without hitting the others-that's pretty much status quo, so work toward that.
stop slapping like flea and have a more horizontal slapping position it works much better because then u have better aim for the actual string u want to hit.
keep your thumb aligned with the string. it's the easiest possible way. good luck!!!!
Quote by FatalGear41
I wouldn't call what we have here on the Bass Forum a mentality. It's more like the sharing part of an AA meeting.

Quote by Jason Jillard
HUMANITY WHATS WRONG WITH YOU.

Warwick Fortress>>Acoustic AB50

http://www.myspace.com/rustingbloom
Quote by tooly-primusy
stop slapping like flea and have a more horizontal slapping position it works much better because then u have better aim for the actual string u want to hit.

Yeah, you shouldn't need to mute the other strings.
thanks all
/
Flea is a very bad person to copy a technique from, as his technique is ****. yeah, yeah, i know it gets the job done. but its bad. your thumb should be coming downwards, not sideways against the string...