Alright so, I got this 30 watt amp a little while ago, and seeing as though the 15 watt version of the same amp had only one channel and this one had 2, I went with this one. The problem is that I don't really gig at all and I mainly got this amp for bedroom practicing and just playing with friends, and I never turn the volume over about 2. It's a very loud amp. Now from my understanding, tube amps sound better when turned up, which unfortunately I don't do with this amp.

So my question is, would selling my V32 to get some kind of a 15 watt tube amp (maybe the 15 watt version of the same amp or an orange tiny terror) be a good idea? Or should I just stick with the V32?

Some favorite bands include zeppelin, the rolling stones, hendrix, SRV, the who, the beatles, and the black keys.
Gear:
'50s National Archtop
Squier Classic Vibe '60s Tele
Squier Affinity Strat
Gibson Melody Maker
Vox AC-15
50s Stella Parlor Acoustic

MOAR FIRST ACT
I was there
you could probably get an attenuator, or you could sell your amp and get the v16 and an overdrive pedal which would be almost the same as channel switching, or you could look into some of the 5 watt tube amps such as the epiphone valve junior
Call me Dom
Quote by Dmaj7
I don't know how to count canadians, the metric system is hard

Quote by gregs1020
well if lbj pokes his head in here and there's no nuts shit's gonna go doooooooowwwwwwwwwn.

{Pedalboard Thread Native: The Muffin Man}
Plus one for the 15 watt version and an overdrive.

But even then 15 watts is alot alot I got one and to tell you the truth it seems like more power than a 30 watt amp cause the tubes are pushed faster and harder sonner than on a 30 watt.

Invest your money on an atunatter.
Gear:
'50s National Archtop
Squier Affinity Strat
Gibson Melody Maker
Vox AC-15

MOAR FIRST ACT
I was there
Last edited by ilikeguitar90 at Nov 16, 2008,
I like the simple Epiphone Jr for that more marshally sound.

The blackheart is great but in my opinion it dosent have as much mojo as the Epi..

But like I said bro an atueanator would cost as much as one of those amps and a Palomino is much nicer than either of those amps.
Last edited by THEKID546 at Nov 16, 2008,
Quote by THEKID546
I like the simple Epiphone Jr for that more marshally sound.

The blackheart is great but in my opinion it dosent have as much mojo as the Epi..

But like I said bro an atueanator would cost as much as one of those amps and a Palomino is much nicer than either of those amps.

+1
The palomino is a very nice amp.
Get an attenuator. You may need it in the future too when you'll be rockin' on a Marshall Plexi full stack.
Fender MIA Stratocaster (with SD Twang Banger)
Epiphone Les Paul Special II
Johnson Acoustic
Palmer FAB5
I'd recommend an attenuator. The Palominos are great amps, don't get rid of yours.

╠═══════╬═══════╣

Solder fume huffer σƒ τλε τρπ βπστλεπλσσδ

╠═══════╬═══════╣

Electronic Audio Experiments
hmm alright but what exactly is an attenuator? I know it makes it so that you can get quality tone out of a tube amp even when it's quiet, but is it something I have to install in the amp? Or is it more like a pedal of some kind?

And can anyone link me to one that will get the job done? Nothing fancy, just one that works. Would, let's just say, $50 be enough to get a decent attenuator for my amp?

EDIT: Looking on ebay for one, and came across these:

http://cgi.ebay.com/GUITAR-AMP-ATTENUATOR-POWER-BRAKE-SOAK-MASS-HOT-PLATE_W0QQitemZ320306890675QQcmdZViewItemQQptZGuitar_Amp_Accessories?hash=item320306890675&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14&_trkparms=72%3A1205%7C66%3A2%7C65%3A12%7C39%3A1%7C240%3A1318

http://cgi.ebay.com/Mesa-Boogie-Mini-RECTIFIER-Footswitch-By-VoodooMan_W0QQitemZ270277270973QQihZ017QQcategoryZ10171QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

thoughts and opinions?

Oh, and I know the THD hot plate is a good attenuator, but it seems a little too costly for me.
Gear:
'50s National Archtop
Squier Affinity Strat
Gibson Melody Maker
Vox AC-15

MOAR FIRST ACT
I was there
Last edited by ilikeguitar90 at Nov 16, 2008,
Well, I ended up buying one of these:

http://www.google.com/products?hl=en&q=voodooman+attenuator+crate+tube&um=1&ie=UTF-8&sa=X&oi=product_result_group&resnum=1&ct=title

There's a harmony central topic devoted to this guy and these pedals he makes, and although a few people get their pedals late, they say the pedals are top notch. Can't wait for mine to arrive.

Anyways thanks for the help guys!
Gear:
'50s National Archtop
Squier Affinity Strat
Gibson Melody Maker
Vox AC-15

MOAR FIRST ACT
I was there
Well right now I am trying to decide between these 2 options:

sell my crate v32 and get a Crate v16 with a bad monkey OD pedal

or

keep my Crate V32 and get a volume control/attenuator pedal (which I purchased already but hasn't arrived yet)

which one would you guys do if you were in my position and only wanted the amp for bedroom practice/jamming with friends? (not going to be using it for shows at all)
Gear:
'50s National Archtop
Squier Affinity Strat
Gibson Melody Maker
Vox AC-15

MOAR FIRST ACT
I was there
i use my palomino in my dorm room without an attenuator at all, and i think it's just fine. i'd go with the attenuator, and that way you'll have an amp that will stay clean if you have to turn it up to jam, and then you can play quietly with the attenuator when you have to
main rig:
MIM Tele->VP Jr.->CryBaby->Fuzz Factory->TS808->Carbon Copy->Phase 90->TU-3->Vox AC30CCH+Avatar 212 and Peavey VTM60+Marshall 1960A

Quote by necrosis1193
Fuzz...It's wonderful and horrible and beautiful and repulsive and so many things all at once.
all you bought was an external volume pedal, it works no different from a guitar's volume control or a master volume control if you put it in the fx loop.

an attenuator more or less dissipates power before it hits the speaker so you're actually putting less watts into the speaker. you will not find a quality attenuator for under $150 AT LEAST. And do not use cheap crappy attenuators, they can damage your amp.
well the volume goes from really quiet to really loud too quickly. I think a lot of tube amps actually have this problem...if I can find some middle ground between these 2 levels with the pedal then I'll be satisfied.
Gear:
'50s National Archtop
Squier Affinity Strat
Gibson Melody Maker
Vox AC-15

MOAR FIRST ACT
I was there