So, I've got an '08 HSS Strat that I love, but to make it a little better, I think I'm gonna have a go at repainting it with an olympic white nitro-cellulose finish and replacing the hardware. I'm gonna order a replacement gold vintage Tremolo from GFS, gold locking tuners (not sure what brand yet), and swap out the pickups, probably with a Seymour Duncan JB in the bridge, and maybe gold lace sensors in the mid/neck. Any opinions or advice?

Made this on Kisakae, there's some pics of my guitar as it is now on my profile.

I like it except for the hardware. Never was a big fan of gold hardware on white. Otherwise I love it though, albeit I'd go SSS if it were my guitar since I love the mid-bridge position on a strat.
THE FORUM UPDATE KILLED THE GRADIENT STAR

Baltimore Orioles: 2014 AL Eastern Division Champions, 2017: 73-78
Baltimore Ravens: 2012 World Champions, 2017: 2-0
2017 NFL Pick 'Em: 24-7
Quote by necrosis1193
I like it except for the hardware. Never was a big fan of gold hardware on white. Otherwise I love it though, albeit I'd go SSS if it were my guitar since I love the mid-bridge position on a strat.

I've been thinking about it, and using either all lace sensor golds or some vintage noiseless pups. I'm not sure yet, though. I mostly play using the neck or neck/mid position, so having the humbucker wouldn't hurt anything. Like I said, though, I'm thinking about it.
Well, try out an SSS strat and see if you like the bridge or bridge-neck position. If you do go SSS, and if not HSS since it won't effect anything and it'll give you a humbucker if need-be.

Quote by necrosis1193
Well, try out an SSS strat and see if you like the bridge or bridge-neck position. If you do go SSS, and if not HSS since it won't effect anything and it'll give you a humbucker if need-be.

Ha, looks like I'll be heading to guitar center again. After I repaint it and replace the hardware I'll be pretty strapped for cash, so I'll have to check out a few SSS strats and see if it's worth it. I played a few when I bought mine, but liked the HSS setup more. Who knows, though, I still wish i had that bridge single coil a lot.
Well, you could always get a custom-cut pickguard, put in a slanted 4-conductor humbucker and get coil-tap on it.

Quote by necrosis1193
Well, you could always get a custom-cut pickguard, put in a slanted 4-conductor humbucker and get coil-tap on it.

Could, but I've never liked the way the coil tap sounds. You lose too much output, imo. I was thinking of going to a SSS pickguard and putting in a SD Cool Rails to get a single coil sound with hum canceling.
Quote by irishstang_87
I've been thinking about it, and using either all lace sensor golds or some vintage noiseless pups. I'm not sure yet, though. I mostly play using the neck or neck/mid position, so having the humbucker wouldn't hurt anything. Like I said, though, I'm thinking about it.
Lots of peeps feel the Lace Golds aren't hot enough so they go with the Hot Golds; however, played on clean and cranked, you get awesome break-up and huge sounds.

Quote by Ippon
Lots of peeps feel the Lace Golds aren't hot enough so they go with the Hot Golds; however, played on clean and cranked, you get awesome break-up and huge sounds.

That's what I'm looking for, I'll check out the hot golds. Thanks!

just tossing this out there, but rails and lace pups dont look like typical pickups.
not sure if that matters to you or not.

hot gold are nice.
i like dimarzio stacked single coil sized humbuckers from the virtual vintage heavy blues collection.

i'm only adding a pic of my mia because it resembles your pic.
thought you'd like to see. it's got a thin skin nitro finish. feels great, but i think in your case that would be pretty hard and a little expensive to refinish. just saying.
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62
Jenny needs to sow her wild oats with random Gibsons and Taylors she picks up in bars before she settles down with a PRS.

Set up Questions? ...Q & A Thread

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A/GB&C WTLT Lists 2011
Quote by jj1565
just tossing this out there, but rails and lace pups dont look like typical pickups.
not sure if that matters to you or not.

hot gold are nice.
i like dimarzio stacked single coil sized humbuckers from the virtual vintage heavy blues collection.

i'm only adding a pic of my mia because it resembles your pic.
thought you'd like to see. it's got a thin skin nitro finish. feels great, but i think in your case that would be pretty hard and a little expensive to refinish. just saying.

Wow, that looks great. Yeah, I know, I was just lazy when I was making the pic and threw normal pups in. What's the difference between a thin skin nitro finish and the standard one? I'm just planning on a white primer coat over the bare wood, with olympic white nitro cellulose over that, and possibly a clear coat, but I've heard that putting a clear coat over a white finish will tint it. I'll check out the virtual vintage pups too, I'm still looking for pickups.

Last edited by irishstang_87 at Nov 16, 2008,
Quote by irishstang_87
That's what I'm looking for, I'll check out the hot golds. Thanks!

I meant the Golds were better when cranked.
Quote by irishstang_87
Wow, that looks great. Yeah, I know, I was just lazy when I was making the pic and threw normal pups in. What's the difference between a thin skin nitro finish and the standard one? I'm just planning on a white primer coat over the bare wood, with olympic white nitro cellulose over that, and no clear coat. I'll check out the virtual vintage pups too, I'm still looking for pickups.

You'll have to clearcoat!

Quote by jj1565
... hot gold are nice.
i like dimarzio stacked single coil sized humbuckers from the virtual vintage heavy blues collection. ...

Gorgeous guitar!

I love the DM VV Blues and Heavy Blues, they're hot SCs, though.

after refinishing my tele, i pretty much swore i'd never do that again. HAHA it's a lot of work.

anyway, sweetwater has a good glossary of guitar terms:
Thin-Skin Nitro
Today, many of the finest Fender guitars get a special nitrocellulose lacquer finish that the company is calling "thin-skin nitro." This finish is amazingly close to the original lacquers that Fender used during its early years (an exact match is not possible because some of the solvents used for finishes in the 1950s and '60s are now banned by the EPA, but most people would never be able to see the difference in any case). The lacquer is applied in a manner that enhances the look of the ash or alder body whether it's stained or a solid color. What's more, by keeping the finish to a minimal thickness, it allows the instrument to resonate much more freely. Nitro finishes are also popular because of the way in which they age; quite different from polyurethane and polyester finishes, which change very little over time. Depending upon the stain or solid color, a nitrocellulose finish gradually ages over the years and takes on a warm amber hue. The older the guitar, the deeper (and richer) the finish will look.

not sure about all that stuff, but i can tell you it feels creamy against my arm.
whatever that means.

ok so check out dimarzio, and if i were you, i'd rethink the JB in the bridge. those things are pretty high treble to my ears anyway.

^thanks ippon and yeah, i was tossing that out there.
i mean the V v series is pretty hot.

those there are SCNs on S-1 switching, which i LOVE. again, all up to taste.
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62
Jenny needs to sow her wild oats with random Gibsons and Taylors she picks up in bars before she settles down with a PRS.

Hey, thanks for the help, I'll take a look at that thin skin nitro. Yeah, I know it's gonna be hard work, the part that's gonna be a pain is getting the poly off the guitar . Yeah, it looks like I'm gonna switch it to SSS anyways, so I'll get a set of hot golds or vintage noiseless to put in eventually. Thanks again for the help!

EDIT: That Tele looks great, nice job

^Ippon, thanks for the advice, if the golds play better when cranked, I'll probably go with those, but after checking out the virtual vintage Dimarzio's I think I might change my mind . As for the clear coat, I heard somewhere that Fender used to not clearcoat their white guitars to keep the coat from tinting the finish to an off white. I'm not sure how accurate that is, though. Thanks, mate!

Last edited by irishstang_87 at Nov 16, 2008,
ok thanks

cant wait to see pics.
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62

Quote by irishstang_87
H... ^Ippon, thanks for the advice, if the golds play better when cranked, I'll probably go with those, but after checking out the virtual vintage Dimarzio's I think I might change my mind . As for the clear coat, I heard somewhere that Fender used to not clearcoat their white guitars to keep the coat from tinting the finish to an off white. I'm not sure how accurate that is, though. Thanks, mate!

The thin Nitro actually causes the White coat to look vintage Creamy after a while ... instead of preventing the White from turning a vintage color.

Quote by Ippon
The thin Nitro actually causes the White coat to look vintage Creamy after a while ... instead of preventing the White from turning a vintage color.

Looks like I'll go with a clear coat, then. Also, I think I'm gonna go with the Dimarzio VV Heavy Blues in the mid and neck, if not in all three positions. Right now I've gotta get the nitro and hardware ordered, and once that gets here, sand my ass off Right, I'll post some pics as it gets going, thanks again for the help.

^FYI i went wt the YjM in the neck. it's a little dark, and is meant to be in either mid or neck, but i love mixing the H Blues and the Yjm.

really hot pups. so dont expect traditional strat twang tones. again just my tastes.

and i "might" even switch the H blues and the Yjm one day just to try to taste.

but overall, i love them So much more over my hot rails, which is so high in in the bridge.

That's a pup, would probably do better in a neck, imo. either that or hooked up to a tone pot.
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62

Yeah, that's kinda why I'm thinking I'll use them in the neck and mid positions. I'm looking for a hotter blues kind of tone. How are the cleans on the VV, though? Also, I was looking at the Virtual Solo for the bridge, but I haven't done a lot of research on it yet. If I decide to stick with the HSS I was looking at the SD Custom Custom. It's all still on the table, though.

EDIT: Will do, Ippon
i love the custom custom, not sure how it sounds in a strat, but i like the CC and the pearly gates in the epi's and other HH guitar's i've come across.

i like my cleans. i'm using a masters 30 tube amp with 2 x12 speakers tho. honestly, i like my guitar, but i just always hesitate when suggesting pup tones, because it's so specific.
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62

Quote by jj1565
i love the custom custom, not sure how it sounds in a strat, but i like the CC and the pearly gates in the epi's and other HH guitar's i've come across.

i like my cleans. i'm using a masters 30 tube amp with 2 x12 speakers tho. honestly, i like my guitar, but i just always hesitate when suggesting pup tones, because it's so specific.

Yeah, I know, i really appreciate the suggestions, though . I agree with you on the Pearly Gates, I've got one in my epiphone, and it sounds great. If it was F-spaced I'd put it in my strat . I'm actually looking at using a VV in the bridge with two Area '67's in the mid and neck for cleans and Hendrix overdriven sound, or with an HSS a custom custom and the two Area '67's. Hopefully, I've got an Epi Valve Junior coming this christmas, along with an Ibanez Tube Screamer, so that'll help my tone a lot also.
ive also got an epi Vjr head and cab and and ts9. (chosen over a combo)

it's a nice tone. will really open your ears to a different type of tone, right out of the box.

the epi has a dark tone, so keep that in mind when choosing pups.

also, i like my tube screamer. it's nice, but if i had to choose again, i might go wt something with a little more anger in it.

because my 30W ods fine. so i find i dont use it anymore. in fact i wish i would have gotten a jekyll and hyde instead.

just adding to your anxiety
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62

Quote by jj1565
ive also got an epi Vjr head and cab and and ts9. (chosen over a combo)

it's a nice tone. will really open your ears to a different type of tone, right out of the box.

the epi has a dark tone, so keep that in mind when choosing pups.

also, i like my tube screamer. it's nice, but if i had to choose again, i might go wt something with a little more anger in it.

because my 30W ods fine. so i find i dont use it anymore. in fact i wish i would have gotten a jekyll and hyde instead.

just adding to your anxiety

Ha, thanks. I was looking at a TS9DX for a little more bite, but I'll see if i can find a jekyll and hyde the next time i go to GC and try it out. I really like the od on the TS9, gave a pretty good sound when I played around with it. I think the tube screamer paired with those area '67 pickups would sound pretty good for the blues/ classic rock tones I'm looking for, and the valve junior just sounds great clean.
the area 67s look promising. never tried them tho.
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62

Quote by jj1565
the area 67s look promising. never tried them tho.

Yeah, I think they'll balance out with a valve junior pretty nicely. I'll give on a try in the neck, and if it sounds good, put one in the mid position too. I'm thinking of sticking with the HSS setup, I really like the look of the Custom Custom.