I just spent the last two and a half hours practicing the intro of Symphony X - Out of the Ashes at 30 BPM. Towards the end of that, I noticed my left hand (for those of you who don't know the song, the intro's full of left-hand position shifts) felt slightly... I guess you would call it sore or tired. Usually, I don't play for that long in one sitting, and I can play the song at that tempo without any discomfort or tension, so I'm assuming it's just fatigue in my left hand. From how I described it, what would the more experienced AT people think? If it is fatigue, should I keep practicing through it, or not?
It sounds like regular old fatigue. 2 1/2 hours is a lot of time in one sitting, and your hand will get tired just from the small amount of effort involved even in good, tension free playing.

I would make a habit of taking short breaks every 30 mins. Even 2 or 3 minutes will do it, though I think 5 is best. Even playing with good technique, you're hands need a breather every now and again. Also, just as important, so does your mind. I think by taking short breaks, it's easier to generate the focus you need when you are playing.

Good luck. Everything by Smyphony X is ball-breakingly difficult. I started learning Sea of Lies (whole song, not just the tapping thing) almost three months ago, and I've still got a way to go to bring it up to speed clean (and I could already play very fast if it's stuff I'm comfortable with). I honestly thought I could have it down in a month or 6 weeks or something. Well, think again! It's challenging stuff.
Quote by se012101
I would make a habit of taking short breaks every 30 mins. Even 2 or 3 minutes will do it, though I think 5 is best. Even playing with good technique, you're hands need a breather every now and again. Also, just as important, so does your mind. I think by taking short breaks, it's easier to generate the focus you need when you are playing.

I remember seeing something similar in those old video game manuals, about taking a break every 30-60 minutes to avoid hand and eye strain. It sounds like a good idea to me, so I'll do that from now on.

And yup, SX's stuff is really tough. Sea of Lies honestly scares me.