I'm looking to change the stock pickups on my flying v but I dont really know what kind of pickups to go with.

I'm going with passives.

My style of playing is Metal (thrash, death, power)

So what do you suggest and around how much are they?

(I would get active pickups but i probably wont have the opportunity to use a good amp with it so i'll probably be practicing on a solid state amp)
Quote by crucible#1
I would get active pickups but i probably wont have the opportunity to use a good amp with it so i'll probably be practicing on a solid state amp

Then there is no point in new pickups, because if you're using them with a crummy amp they won't do ANY good.

╠═══════╬═══════╣

Solder fume huffer σƒ τλε τρπ βπστλεπλσσδ

╠═══════╬═══════╣

Electronic Audio Experiments
So, get a new amp.
Someone once said rather wisely that new pickups are for improving a tone that's already quite good. An amp, though, is the biggest factor of all in your tone.
Save the money.

When you do, get Bare Knuckle. Thrash, Death and Power are probably best served by either the Nailbomb or the Warpig. Expensive, but they're THE best if you ask me, and quite probably anybody else who uses them.
get a new amp if you don't like the one you got now. The amp effects your tone the most, then pickups then wood.
I have a Peavey VK 212 but its in storage so i cant use it at the moment but in about a month I will

and i'm just goin to be using either my friends amp or my bassplayer has an extra guitar amp in the meantime
Oh ok, in that case I'd also recommend Bare Knuckles if you can afford them, but honestly I think rock monkey pickups are much better value. You can get good tone without paying an arm and a leg.

╠═══════╬═══════╣

Solder fume huffer σƒ τλε τρπ βπστλεπλσσδ

╠═══════╬═══════╣

Electronic Audio Experiments
yeah, something where you know your going to get good quality like bare Knuckles or Rock Monkey guitars (CorduroyEW)

Also don't use a bass amp, it will stuff it up
ok well I'm now looking into Bare knuckle pickups.

I've also been wondering if EMG's would be good? I have a JH-200 with some stock passive emg's that sounded pretty good but I also heard that emg's are not the way to go so whats the deal with those?

edit:
I think this would make a difference but I also want to be able to have a good clean tone as well