im asking for a Crate V50-112 for christmas and ive read the review and it says the clean channel is amazing but the dirty channel is crap. so im thinking if i get the amp i should get a really nice distortion pedal like the Metal Muff. would this be a good idea?

heres the links to the amp and pedal

http://guitars.musiciansfriend.com/product/Crate-V-Series-V50112-50W-1x12-Tube-Guitar-Combo-Amp?sku=487054

http://guitars.musiciansfriend.com/product/ElectroHarmonix-Metal-Muff-with-Top-Boost?sku=153339
Last.fm

"Music is a language of emotion. It informs our words with FEELING, and doesn't need to be learned.. It's visceral and innate" - Jason Silva
Last edited by Guitarfanatic93 at Nov 16, 2008,
no offense but in my opinion the metal muff is not a "really nice distortion pedal."
But if you've tried it and like it then yeah, should work fine
this amp takes pedals great, if you play metal the metal muff would be great.
Quote by SUB1
no offense but in my opinion the metal muff is not a "really nice distortion pedal."
But if you've tried it and like it then yeah, should work i guess

do you have any suggestions on another distortion pedal i should look into?
Last.fm

"Music is a language of emotion. It informs our words with FEELING, and doesn't need to be learned.. It's visceral and innate" - Jason Silva
I'd definiteley try out the BOSS DS-1 Or even better the DS-2

you can also check them out somewhere here on http://www.bossus.com/gear/productlist.php?ParentId=90

I'd recommend theire MT-2 Aswell for the more metal oriented sounds.
ALL HAIL HYPNOTOAD

Quote by MetalMessiah665
Dude, I think I would know, Trivium invented Thrash, Metallica are lucky they got as far as they did piggy-backing off of Trivium's signature style.
Might be best to look around a little more for an amp that will sound good on both channels. Or buy a single channel tube amp.
Personally, I think you should get an OD pedal instead of a distortion. A lot nicer sounding, to be honest. Boosts the amp nicely, and gets really dirty, depending on which one you select, of course.

EDIT: Do not get the BOSS DS-1, DS-2, or SD-1 (overdrive). I have the DS-1 and the SD-1, and you can do better.
Quote by Guitarfanatic93
do you have any suggestions on another distortion pedal i should look into?

First off, if you really like the sound of the Muff, you should get it. Don't be discouraged by my comment; if it works for you, that's what matters.

On the other hand, you could go for something like a Fulltone OCD or an MI Audio Crunch Box. The MI Audio can get very distorted, if you're looking for hi-gain.
krank krankshaft? try one of those through the crate, It's a pretty high gain od.
Peavey Limited Exp Hss
BC Rich BW-4000BB
Schecter C-1 Classic
Honestly, try out the metal muff before you buy it.
I thought it would be perfect for me and i ended up not really liking it much at all. Maybe I just couldn't EQ it properly but i was fiddling with it for probably around an hour and couldn't get a tone i liked.
Obviously, if you like it, get it but make sure you try it first.
Gear:
Fender CP Jazzmaster
Schecter PT Custom w/ Dimarzio crunch lab/liquifire
Marshall JCM2000 DSL+Orange 4x12
Orange Tiny Terror+Mesa Electra Dyne 2x12
Boss TU-2/NS-2/DD-6
Maxon OD808

MY BAND!
Hook up a couple pedals and amps at ur local guitar shop before you buy 'em. Theoretically sounding good and actually sounding good are 2 diff things.

'86 Carvin V220
'92 Carvin DC135c
'06 Fender Strat MIM w/Carvin AP11's
'08 Gibson Les Paul Studio
Epiphone LTD ED. SG w/EMG 81/85
Schecter Damien FR
'08 Ibanez Prestige RG2610E
'04 Carvin CT4M
'91 Jackson Professional Stealth Pro