So I'm been trying to fix my friends computer and I just cant figure this out. He just did a recent build with an Asus SLI Deluxe Motherboard, Quad Core Am2+ processor, DDR 2 ram, two 9800GTX+'s (dont ask) a Raptor 10,000rpm HDD and a 700w power supply.

Now he bought another power supply to power one or both of his video cards anyway its irrelevant as with only one 9800 we are getting the crappiest framerates ever. 3dmark06 scores are around 6000.

I cannot figure out what is happening. Ive tested the card in my computer and I get over 13,000 on 3dmark06. Ram works, system runs fine except when we run games and 3dmark.

Wtf is going on?
I dunno, coz I have two 9800GTX+'s and they own every game I've tried them with.
No man has the right to be an amateur in the matter of physical training. It is a shame for a man to grow old without seeing the beauty and strength of which his body is capable

@gossage91
@overtimefitnessau
I dont know with that, but all i know is that nvidia is pissing me the **** off recently.

All i can suggest is a heating problem?
nope, the temps are fine, ive tried everything really, I'm am loosing hope. Anyone heard of this kinda problem with anything else
I have a 9800 GTX and I get the same thing happening to me. Even in Call of Duty 1 it stutters, and Oblivion is a nightmare sometimes. I force Vsync on and it doesn't help, CS: S says I get a steady 60 FPS but it still jitters, and in Hmonitor there is a "Temp3" that reads 81-82C and I dunno what it is. I'm thinking my motherboard may be the culprit, so if you have a spare AM2+ board, try putting his RAM, CPU, and video card/cards into it and see if it still does it. This may help me out too, as I don't have a spare board to switch out to diagnose the problem.
PSN: Chris_P_Chikin
Last edited by Metalliklok at Nov 16, 2008,
I think it may be the board, as the ram and video cards work in my computer very well, but what could it be?
Make sure you rule out the CPU first. Where did he buy his build from?
We built it, its a brand new cpu, it runs fast as hell when we are not in a game or graphic intensive application.

I've built like 10 computers, and I cant for the life of me figure this out
I posted this question on the Gamefaqs PC board and someone said to disable "speedstep" in the bios. It may be the CPU clock speeds jumping up and down. Every now and then when I check easytune5 or the system window in control panel it will say that my CPU is running at 1.8GHZ instead of 3GHZ. maybe this error could be it? Also, when games are played, if you stand still, does everything in the game world run smooth and only skip when you move? That's what happens to me.
Speedstep shouldnt be causing the problem because thats only used for when your comp is idle it runs it at lower speed to save energy and heat, and when you start processes it kicks it back up.

About standing still... obviously its gunna look fine, but when you move yea its all messed up. Its weird because brothers in arms hells highway runs fine, but crysis and far cry and cod 4 are just messed up man.
hmmm...My guess would be the mobo. It's the only thing it could be. I might RMA mine and see what the replacement is like, if it's not that it would be my PSU. Keep me posted if you find something out. Kinda suck getting a gaming rig and finding out you can't play any games at a decent speed on it.
The only two things I can think of:

- your power supply doesn't meet the system's needs

or

- you installed nvidia drivers over video drivers from other chipset manufacturers (ATI).

If you've taken care of these two issues, then no idea.
did you go on the nvidia website and get the latest updates and downloads and whatever ?

that might be the problem.
Cette nuit j'ai rêvé que je mâchais ses yeux
Après avoir crevé par accès de furie
Ta replète panse d'helminthes blancs nourrie,
Trop prompte à déféquer le fruit d'un vit sanieux.
You have the latest video drivers installed, right? Did you install the motherboard chipset drivers?

What PSU is it? Why the hell is he using a separate PSU for the video cards?
Last edited by Masonpwiley at Nov 16, 2008,
Everything is installed properly.

I cant remember the PSU but its quality and thats not the problem. The psu is 700w, but he wasnt sure if it could power both video cards, so he bought a vga power supply to power one of them. Works fine. But thats not the problem since we cannot get 1 running.

I think he is going to RMA both cards and his motherboard
If they work in your computer, that is obviously not the problem. It's most likely the motherboard.
Well, one of the cards is messed up and wont start, but again not the one that works with mine and the one we've been testing. We're just gunna get all new parts and do a fresh build and install
got an update for ya. I decided to try out the onboard video to see if it jittered like the 9800 did, and after a bit of fiddling with oblivion and call of duty, it looks like it doesn't. hmmm... After I'm done messing around on garry's mod testing out the onboard ATI HD3200 in my mobo I'm going to disable it, uninstall the catalyst drivers, and try again with my 9800gtx and post my findings.
Quote by Metalliklok
got an update for ya. I decided to try out the onboard video to see if it jittered like the 9800 did, and after a bit of fiddling with oblivion and call of duty, it looks like it doesn't. hmmm... After I'm done messing around on garry's mod testing out the onboard ATI HD3200 in my mobo I'm going to disable it, uninstall the catalyst drivers, and try again with my 9800gtx and post my findings.

Good luck to ya. I've been in situations like this with my computers before, and not known what the hell to do. Eventually, something will work and you wont understand why/how you did it, or you'll just have to buy new/get replacements.

Two 9800's? Damn, what a beast.
Good Deals: imgooley, pak1351
I'm back, and this time with good news! I switched back to my 9800 and messed with some settings in the nvidia control center and I got all of my games to run super smooth except for Oblivion, but that may just be because it is a poorly optimized game and I had everything maxed out, and even then it just stuttered when I found a new area and regularly it wasn't so bad, just seems like the refresh rate sucks, so maybe that is my crappy gateway2000 monitor.