Hey guys I'm looking to upgrade from my 8600GT, I play Crysis, Warhead, Company of Heroes, and games like that on a 19in monitor.

Is it worth the extra $250 to get the 4870x2? or Will the 4870 do me just fine?
I think the Game thread would provide better answers.
funkyducky

Icing happen when de puck come down, BANG, you know,
before de oder guys, nobody dere, you know.
My arm go comme ça, den de game stop den start up.

Quote by daytripper75
Get To Da Choppa!
FWIW, I have the 3870 x2 in my Dell PC. These cards run hot - really hot. I've also been having problems with the display driver failing to respond - due to the card overheating. This is my replacement PC and it's doing the same thing. It's an impressive card, but I think they need to address the cooling issues with these x2 cards.
I have a 4850 and it is WAY better than i expected. That said, I'm sure that a 4870 will do you just fine. But It helps a lot to know the rest of your specs. An awesome GPU won't mean anything if your processor is garbage and you have little ram.
Schecter C-1 XXX (with SD Dave Mustaine Livewire Actives)
Roland Cube 60
Quote by GuitarGuy2387
this is a computer topic... nothing to do with music

Neither does the pit
LOL. Yeah get whatever card you want. You'll be more than fine.

My specs are Athlon64 x2 6000+ 2 gigs ram, and the 4850 and I run crysis on high with a very playable framerate (and i'm fairly picky when it comes to framerate).

And your setup is even better so you should be lookin at good results no matter which route you go.
Roland Cube 60
Well better equipment is always better in the long run, but from my experiences in buying graphics cards, its never the best idea to get the best card available because it's so much more expensive than everything else. I usually go for a cheaper but still very good card. The 4870x2 is indeed faster than a 4870 but If money is an issue I'd go with the 4870.
Roland Cube 60
The 4870x2 is overkill if you only have a 19" monitor.

What CPU do you have and how much RAM?
q6600 @ 3.0 and 2 gigs of PC6400, soon to be 4 gigs. The monitor is 19-21 inches, but my best guess is 19in
alright, ill go with the 4870 1 gig version, then in two years get another at half the price heh
Don't get another one in two years, just get whatever is good at that time.
Quote by Masonpwiley
Don't get another one in two years, just get whatever is good at that time.

This, getting two of the same card is a pontless trend which is getting far too popular, you'd get better results selling it and getting a modern good card.
"Loathe metaphors. Pander to undereducated masses. Get doctorate, have a real conversation" Mordin Solus
Quote by GuitarGuy2387
yea? Is SLI only worth it if you've got like a 26'' screen?

Yes, and it's not worth it to buy another one in two years because there will be better things by then.