Often when watching a recording session or bands playing you'll see either the lead singer, drummer or everyone wearing headphones... what are they listening to? The beat? The bass player?
their mp3-player duh
Gear:
ESP LTD EC-401FM STB
Ibanez AR307
Bugera Infinium 333XL
London City Bulldog
Line 6 Pod HD 300
Digitech Digiverb
Wishlist:
Pedalboard
Quote by geetarmanic
Often when watching a recording session or bands playing you'll see either the lead singer, drummer or everyone wearing headphones... what are they listening to? The beat? The bass player?

lol, but i think it's the track they are listening to
Epiphone G-400
Yamaha Pacifica (Mod on hold due to procrastination)
Rocktron Banshee
Marshall 10CD

Quote by geetarguy13

I've never smoked before but it looks like fun.
they're just listening to the other members of the band play, and themselves. It helps with timing and monitoring your voice/instrument's sound
They listen to w/e they wanna hear. Every musician has it's preference with monitoring, both in the studio as live.

Whenver I played with my band at a venue, the sound tech would always ask me what I wanted on my monitor. I prefered my drummer, bass the loudest, ad 2nd guitar player in between the sound, without the singer and without my own playing, since I used a 200 watt super lead aimed towards me with it being miced over a PA. (I like to hear my sound straight from the amp instead of the monitor

The "Re-incarnation of Plato" Award 2009
(most intelligent)
The "Good Samaritan" Award 2009 (most helpful)

[font="Palatino Linotype
Who's Andy Timmons??
Last edited by xxdarrenxx at Nov 16, 2008,
a lot of times for recording they will listen to a click track which is basically a metronome
Warning: The above post may contain lethal levels of radiation, sharp objects and sexiness.
Proceed with extreme caution!
If they're doing bed tracks, they are listening to themselves in the context of each other playing live as they record. With the drummer, for instance, in his own sound-proof drum booth (in a perfect world... or an expensive studio), there is no other way for the others to hear him, or for him to hear anyone else, unless they are linked up through headphones.

If they are doing overdubs, they are listening to themselves in the context of the rest of the other pre-recorded tracks.

CT
Could I get some more talent in the monitors, please?

I know it sounds crazy, but try to learn to inhale your voice. www.thebelcantotechnique.com

Chris is the king of relating music things to other objects in real life.
no prob.
Could I get some more talent in the monitors, please?

I know it sounds crazy, but try to learn to inhale your voice. www.thebelcantotechnique.com

Chris is the king of relating music things to other objects in real life.